Got my new F4 - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 07:55 AM Thread Starter

Got my new F4

Picked up my new F4 yesterday! (DesmoHugh, from Gold Coast Motorsports, LI). My biggest concern about the bike was the riding position. I gave up my 02 because I could no longer crane my neck to look straight ahead. This bike has a similar position to my 1098S Ducati which I can ride several hundred miles without much problem. Big relief there. I carry a lot more corner speed on the F4 then the Ducati. Also did the same when swapping bikes with a friends S1000RR (Duc vs BMW). I wonder now if the new bikes are that great or if there is something wrong with the setup of the Duc. I can't articulate what I feel on the Duc, just know I'm a lot faster on the other 2.
The sound of the F4 is a symphony! The look of the exhaust is Frankenstein. WTF were they thinking?? There was wicked traffic leaving NY and my right leg was baking. The same kindergartner that designed the exhaust, designed the front fender. Bleccchhh! Seat height is high. I have a 32" inseam and I'm on my toes at stop. More comfortable flatfooted as on the Duc and BMW. The seat is wide. Wider then need be for my skinny ass. A narrower seat would likely let me flat foot.
Gearbox and slipper clutch are great. Gearing isn't optimal for street riding. At 35mph, your lugging the engine in 2nd gear.
Dash is cool. Love having a gear shift indicator. Would prefer a traditional tach. Haven't tried any of it's functions yet.
The signal cancel button on the Duc is where the horn is on the MV, so I kept scaring myself.
Not crazy about the look of the rims, no big deal.
Bike is FAST!! It does have a flat spot around 4K, no big deal. I can't wait to ring it's neck.
Suspension is much more compliant than my 02 F4 and the Duc. Felt great.
Despite the negatives listed above, I'm thrilled with the bike and have no regrets on the purchase. GET ONE!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 08:13 AM

Cool

Congrats and enjoy!

Nulla tenaci invia est via
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 08:48 AM

Excellent many happy turns! Pics please!

James M.
post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 09:26 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamlance View Post
Picked up my new F4 yesterday! (DesmoHugh, from Gold Coast Motorsports, LI). My biggest concern about the bike was the riding position. I gave up my 02 because I could no longer crane my neck to look straight ahead. This bike has a similar position to my 1098S Ducati which I can ride several hundred miles without much problem. Big relief there. I carry a lot more corner speed on the F4 then the Ducati. Also did the same when swapping bikes with a friends S1000RR (Duc vs BMW). I wonder now if the new bikes are that great or if there is something wrong with the setup of the Duc. I can't articulate what I feel on the Duc, just know I'm a lot faster on the other 2.
The sound of the F4 is a symphony! The look of the exhaust is Frankenstein. WTF were they thinking?? There was wicked traffic leaving NY and my right leg was baking. The same kindergartner that designed the exhaust, designed the front fender. Bleccchhh! Seat height is high. I have a 32" inseam and I'm on my toes at stop. More comfortable flatfooted as on the Duc and BMW. The seat is wide. Wider then need be for my skinny ass. A narrower seat would likely let me flat foot.
Gearbox and slipper clutch are great. Gearing isn't optimal for street riding. At 35mph, your lugging the engine in 2nd gear.
Dash is cool. Love having a gear shift indicator. Would prefer a traditional tach. Haven't tried any of it's functions yet.
The signal cancel button on the Duc is where the horn is on the MV, so I kept scaring myself.
Not crazy about the look of the rims, no big deal.
Bike is FAST!! It does have a flat spot around 4K, no big deal. I can't wait to ring it's neck.
Suspension is much more compliant than my 02 F4 and the Duc. Felt great.
Despite the negatives listed above, I'm thrilled with the bike and have no regrets on the purchase. GET ONE!!
Congrats! I was actually at Goldcoast that day, probably just missed you. Really appreciate the honest review. If it's as comfortable as the Duc 1098, I'm sold. I figure I can replace the cheaper looking front fender with carbon and don't mind the new exhaust (at least not as much as others). I'm a bigger guy, so I expect will appreciate the wider seat. My concern is around useability when not aggressively riding. I don't plan to track the F4, got a bike for that. So when you say "flat spot" at 4K rpm, does that mean it has that "jump" in trottle response at 5K like the older versions? I had an '07 and got rif of it after a couple months due to what I perceived as a jerky throttle response. That would kill the deal for me as smooth acceleration is a must. Appreciate all insight...

2005 Ducati 999R (track bike)
2008 Ducati Desmosedici RR (187/1500)
2009 Harley Davidson VRod Muscle
2010 Ducati 1198S
2010 MV Agusta F4
2011 BMW K1300S
2012 ???
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 09:47 AM

Send a message via AIM to Spartukus Send a message via Skype™ to Spartukus
After riding with "the big pilot" you are bound to get better.
Glad you are carrying more speed into the turns... after all you could not go any slower
Happy you like it.
I might be coming up to next Friday and we need to go for a ride on Saturday. 10 F4, S1000RR, Senna, and the big pilot.

Don't make excuses, Make it happen

05 F4
07 SENNA (261/300)
13 F3

04 Ducati 749s (Track Project)
06 CBR600RR (Track Project II)
08 Aprilia RSV (Rest In Pieces)
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 10:00 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesmoHugh View Post
Congrats! I was actually at Goldcoast that day, probably just missed you. Really appreciate the honest review. If it's as comfortable as the Duc 1098, I'm sold. I figure I can replace the cheaper looking front fender with carbon and don't mind the new exhaust (at least not as much as others). I'm a bigger guy, so I expect will appreciate the wider seat. My concern is around useability when not aggressively riding. I don't plan to track the F4, got a bike for that. So when you say "flat spot" at 4K rpm, does that mean it has that "jump" in trottle response at 5K like the older versions? I had an '07 and got rif of it after a couple months due to what I perceived as a jerky throttle response. That would kill the deal for me as smooth acceleration is a must. Appreciate all insight...
Race ECU RG3's and cat removal cured virtually all traces of jerkiness on my 1078. When I briefly rode the new F4 last Wednesday I certainly found throttle response and engine character to be smooth, albeit a little gutless midrange; no real problems there.

Apart from my other comments which you can find in the thread I started Wednesday night I found the gear ratio spacing on the new F4 less "close ratio" than on my 1078. I suppose you could get used to that, but the close ratio box (tall first gear, rest follows closely stacked) certainly suits the deep power from low down the 1078 has. Oh, and the new F4's gearchange is, compared to the 1078's, a bit sloppy. Longer stroke. You'll get used to that as well.

Last edited by MikeF4Black; 06-20-2010 at 10:14 AM.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 10:03 AM

Someone said - This thread is worth nothing without pics !!! Congratulation , which color did you get ???

Last edited by Nicolino; 06-20-2010 at 10:05 AM.
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 10:17 AM

Cool

Some pics of the new F4 can be found here: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1019802137

post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 10:30 AM

I also appreciate your opinion! Coming off of an R1, I am considering the F4 or 1198S.
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 11:56 AM

Congrats on the bike! And please remember, rubber side down!

Joe - mv2envy
AKA. MV Guy 12345
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode