Things to weary of on F4 - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 06:00 PM Thread Starter

Things to weary of on F4

Hi Guys

Just read about "white312inclt p.o.s" earlier post.

My 2006 F41000R has now got 7,000 miles on the clock.
Have just fitted MV corse Race ECU Decat Pipe & Blue Flame Race cans.

His earlier post has got me worried.
as some of the replies to his posting mention about Cam's peeling ,big ends going at under 12000 miles .

Is there anything I can do to impeed this from happening.
Bike is due for major service @ 8,500 miles so I have been informed by my Mv Dealer.Had last service at 4500.
I do tend to ride it hard but make sure it's warmed up first & Allway's check the levels before each ride.

your input appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 06:37 PM

My philosphy is don't worry about it till it happens!...I make sure mine is serviced as required, well more frequently than required...and do what you say, check levels and warm up..and I have a good listen to the engine when I get home
Mind you, I've had the rad go a couple of times....not alot I could have done to prevent it though.
If I worried about it, I wouldn't ride it....!

The wife said "Go buy some Art"...
...................__O
................_-\<,_\
...............(_)/ (_)
I bought art.....MV Art!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 06:40 PM

I would add that in my experience with most engines, oil & filter changes are critical, and if you make these more frequent, you will prolong the engine's life.....famous last words, as I have only done 9000 miles....who has covered the most before a re-build then??

The wife said "Go buy some Art"...
...................__O
................_-\<,_\
...............(_)/ (_)
I bought art.....MV Art!
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 06:58 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
I think John, Fazer 6, holds the forum record. 50,000 miles or some crazy number like that with no rebuild.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 07:12 PM

Service it as per the handbook intervals and you should be ok.

Remember its a hand built engine, and I trust that MV use the finest materials. its no piece of rubbish.

Try not to do any unneccesary servicing either like changing the oil and plugs all the time or just generally trying to fix things that ain't broken. It's either service once a year, or as per the KM/Mile intervals laid out in the manual - whichever comes first, with smaller inspections of chain tension and other minor items regularly.

hate those bike where someone has changed the oil every bloody 1000km or tinkered with it constantly. No offense Tont for all I know you could be right, but each to there own, but some things are best left undisturbed in my opinion including engine oil until a change is required, - usually set by the manufacturer at the optimum interval.

Last edited by squibby; 06-16-2010 at 07:19 PM.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 04:59 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys
Will stick as per manufactures specifications.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 05:02 PM
Thrash the arse off it, thats what they were meant for.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But...…..a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 05:46 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by john View Post
I agree whole heartedly
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-18-2010, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john View Post
Yep !!
I wouldnt worry about the enigne to much.
It's only excessive track miles that will cause big problems earlier than you think.

..and if you do track an F4, like any other sportsbike, it may need internal work after 3-5000 miles of trackwork. I'm talking hard trackwork at big fast tracks where the engine is on the boil all the time.

I know local MV racebikes had their big end bearings changed every 800k as a pre-caution, so if you are doing heavy trackdays, this is obviously the first port of call...

But as a pure road bike, most F4's are pretty robust.

VELOCEMOTO HD The Art of Italian Sportbikes on film.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 01:10 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Talking

squibby;
re oil changes....i lived in Heidelberg Germany and worked between Zürich and Lucerne at F.W. Egli in Switzerland.....

i had a BMW R75/5 with 2 quarts of oil in it.....i ran down the E-4 Autobahn at red line +300rpm, total trip 2 3/4 HOURS. i changed the oil at 500 miles, oil and filter at 1000 miles
did it for years....think track days are hard.....think from the BP station in Heidelberg to the Swiss border OVER red line the whole way

i sold it at 140,000 miles, no work ever done other than valve adjustments, straightening the push rods and torquing the heads

highest rpm observed 8,200, in 3 gears, witnessed by the pillion, Seppi Arnold, Egli's workshop boss....thats 1,000 OVER red line, yes it was a freak, lifted the front wheel in 3rd

yes, i change the oil at 2,000 on all my bikes.....simple, even number on the odometer.....change the oil

i have a '62 Abarth race car.....the difference between the stock oil system and a fully filtered one, is 1 race to a motor or 1 season!!!!

me, i'll change the oil more often......for peace of mind LOL

Noel-theknurl

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode