Daily commuting : Ducati 999S versus 312R - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Daily commuting : Ducati 999S versus 312R

Haven't used my car over the past week and have constantly been swapping between my 2 bikes for office commuting.
I've got about a 4 mile drive to the office, part of which is step foot. There's also some creative short cuts which take me through the mall parking lot

I've had my Ducati for 3 years now and it serves double duty as my track tool. The bike has an open Termi system and has been re-mapped.
The MV is a 2008 312R which I picked up last winter. It received the 'heat fix' (impeller/Muzzy fans/engine ice).

While I love the MV when it's on the boil, my Ducati totally leaves it in the dust for the simple stuff such as my daily commute.
The MV just doesn't feel as controllable at low speeds and feels very top heavy. On top of that, i always have to watch my power band since the flat spot between 4 and 5 K is major. Not fun to drive at all in these conditions. Luckily the heat fix seems to work since it has not overheated once (we are currently going through a heat wave).

So, this morning I took the Ducati and I was flat out amazed at how easy it is to live with. It was like hopping on a scooter and quickly running an errand. Wow !

I am now waiting for a parcel to arrive from X-Bikes (Chris). I surely hope this was solve some of the low(er) rpm issues.

Yves
Fort Worth, TX
Bend, OR

2010 Ducati 1198R Corse LE
2008 MV F4 312R (RG3, X-Bikes ECU,...)
2005 Ducati 999S
2004 Ducati 998S Final Edition

Last edited by yves; 06-15-2010 at 12:35 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 06:58 PM

Nice comparison.

I very nearly bought the 999, having always liked the looks, before I went with the MV (F4 1000R).

There's a lot to be said for the punch of a good V-Twin. I think I need another in the garage very soon
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 08:11 PM Thread Starter

No kidding. I will never let go of my 999. While frowned upon by lots of the Ducatisti, it has a lot going for it. The power is not out there, but it just gets things done...hard to explain.
Objective for me is to start a collection.
I want to add the 1098R, RSV4 Factory and new MV...but I can wait. Will have somebody else suffer the initial depreciation. Most of the current bikes are beyond anybody's riding capabilities anyway. Why bother to always have the latest ?

Yves
Fort Worth, TX
Bend, OR

2010 Ducati 1198R Corse LE
2008 MV F4 312R (RG3, X-Bikes ECU,...)
2005 Ducati 999S
2004 Ducati 998S Final Edition
post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 05:44 AM

Smile Commuter

Hi all again,

I commute to and fro work every day. My wifey has a 4 wheeled thing called a monster. I fortunately ride to work every day on my F4, I am obliged to ride the Harley because I don't want to haver feel leftout. I find my F4 to be very nimble at low speeds, albeit I have mastered the finesse of small throttle increments at the 4-5 k range. Riding my F4 is like my relationship with my wife, everyday I learn something new.

J

James M.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 06:09 AM
JDS
King of Bling

Send a message via MSN to JDS
You can never had enough bikes.. PERIOD!

I'm lucky enough to have an MV F4750 and a couple of Dukes..

I know riding the F4 1000's is like riding the best handling Scud Missile in the World, but believe me when I say the 1098R is like being "Happy Slapped" by Mike Tyson wearing an anvile glove. .... The power delivery from this Vee Twin is amazing and it handles like it's on rails.

EMAIL :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by JDS; 06-16-2010 at 07:17 AM.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 02:26 PM
Established Member

The 999 is hands down the better commuting bike of the two. I commuted on both on L.A. freeways for four years and always felt more comfortable on the Duc. Lower center of gravity and rider position makes it easier to handle when splitting lanes in heavy traffic.

However...when we added the CBR600 to the stable, the Italian bikes stay home during the week...except for Italian Bike Night on Wednesdays.

When you go in for a job interview, I think a good thing to ask is if they ever press charges. -- Jack Handey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

F41000S/Honda CBR600
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 02:33 PM
Established Member

there is a Italian bike night on wednesdays? Where?
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 02:45 PM

I agree the 999 is a great commuter and i will also never sell mine (unless i really have to, of course), but get a Microtec ECU from Chris (X-Bikes) along with his map (the final one ) and you'll see how commuting on the MV can be so much better.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 03:27 PM

Well, the 999 is not a bad commuter, I managed to put 15K into her, but the RSV Factory is by far a better all-rounder.
Hopefully, I'll be in the position to compare them to an F4 1000R in the near future, though .
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 06-16-2010, 10:09 PM
Big Randaddy

Are you guys lunatics? Characterizing 999s and F4s as great commuters is indicative of illegal consumption of certain hemp based products.

Commuting on a 999 or a F4 (especially on a 4 mile commute....what are you thinking Yves?) is like asking Usain Bolt to race in high heals. Yes, he could do it, and yes, he'd be faster than you or me, but geeeze, is that the best use for his talents?

Use the bikes for what they're designed for, and buy a Vespa for your 4 mile commute.

Oh wait, I forgot......this is posted in the F4 forum. Now I understand.......

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode