new comparison test - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

new comparison test

In motorcyclist magazine. The new mv did quite well against the other European bikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 09:21 PM

any links???

~Serge~
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 10:16 PM
Established Member

There is no link to the current issue, but the results are interesting.

The official finish:

Aprilia RSV4 Factory - liked V4 engine, "race ready package"
Ducati 1198S Special Edition - had the best numbers (fastest laps), moved down a spot because of mechanical problems; fastest lap times
MV Agusta F4 - handled as well as the Ducati, "hauled ass harder than anything else. It was a set of adjustable footpegs and some undercut gear teeth away from winning this thing outright."
BMW S1000RR - "An upset". "Stubborn bike steering, intrusive electronics".
KTM RC8R - most comfortable on the street, highly adjustable, abrupt throttle response.

The biggest gripe they had about the F4 was the very high footpeg location. Combined with a high seat height most reviewers thought the position was "somewhat cramped".

They did find lots to like about the F4: 3 of 5 reviewers ran their second fastest laps on the F4; price is a "bargain"; 20 pounds lighter than previous version; front fork harsh on street, but "exceptional" on track; rock-solid stability, transparent traction control, "absolutely stonkin' inline-four"; superb slipper clutch; build quality/fit and finish "on a level of its own".

They didn't like the cassette-type gearbox (not the smoothest shifting); brakes "merely adequate" and lacked absolute power.

They also questioned Harley's decision to sell the brand, noting the 50% Y/Y increase in sales, noting that "the historic brand is now more than any time in recent history (poised) for success."

The review was a bit odd, they downplayed some of the performance results, added a lot of subjective ratings. For example, based on the results alone, the Ducati was the winner. They downgraded it because of a mechanical problem during testing, the second such problem in two years. I guess that is a valid point, but on a group of bikes that are beat on by riders of different levels of skill, I'd take that with a grain of salt.

I was very surprised to find the BMW rated so poorly, they didn't like the handling very much, thought some of the electronic aids were intrusive at times, or fought against each other, and some other similar comments. Personally, I think they were excessive in their criticism. Yes, for an expert (real expert, not a "I think I'm an expert") rider some of the electronic aids can/do/may inhibit the way they ride. For 99% of the world, the bike offers an extra layer of protection and "skill". Keith Code's Superbike school switched to the BMW for all of its classes. I've taken a Superbike class, and I respect Keith's opinion. In the same issue of Motorcyclist, he goes out of his way to call the BMW "the best high-performance rider-training aid ever invented". I was thinking of taking another class just to try the bike on the track. No, I'm not a BMW shill, and yes, I do own a Brutale, but it's hard not to appreciate what BMW has done, especially considering the price.

Overall, given the prices of the bikes, you can make a very good case that the F4 is by far the best deal out there.

"When in doubt - hit the throttle, you'll either solve the problem or remove the suspense."

Last edited by lencap; 06-13-2010 at 10:21 PM.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2010, 10:59 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to brutaleluke
Quote:
Originally Posted by lencap View Post
There is no link to the current issue, but the results are interesting.

The official finish:

Aprilia RSV4 Factory - liked V4 engine, "race ready package"
Ducati 1198S Special Edition - had the best numbers (fastest laps), moved down a spot because of mechanical problems; fastest lap times
MV Agusta F4 - handled as well as the Ducati, "hauled ass harder than anything else. It was a set of adjustable footpegs and some undercut gear teeth away from winning this thing outright."
BMW S1000RR - "An upset". "Stubborn bike steering, intrusive electronics".
KTM RC8R - most comfortable on the street, highly adjustable, abrupt throttle response.

The biggest gripe they had about the F4 was the very high footpeg location. Combined with a high seat height most reviewers thought the position was "somewhat cramped".

They did find lots to like about the F4: 3 of 5 reviewers ran their second fastest laps on the F4; price is a "bargain"; 20 pounds lighter than previous version; front fork harsh on street, but "exceptional" on track; rock-solid stability, transparent traction control, "absolutely stonkin' inline-four"; superb slipper clutch; build quality/fit and finish "on a level of its own".

They didn't like the cassette-type gearbox (not the smoothest shifting); brakes "merely adequate" and lacked absolute power.

They also questioned Harley's decision to sell the brand, noting the 50% Y/Y increase in sales, noting that "the historic brand is now more than any time in recent history (poised) for success."

The review was a bit odd, they downplayed some of the performance results, added a lot of subjective ratings. For example, based on the results alone, the Ducati was the winner. They downgraded it because of a mechanical problem during testing, the second such problem in two years. I guess that is a valid point, but on a group of bikes that are beat on by riders of different levels of skill, I'd take that with a grain of salt.

I was very surprised to find the BMW rated so poorly, they didn't like the handling very much, thought some of the electronic aids were intrusive at times, or fought against each other, and some other similar comments. Personally, I think they were excessive in their criticism. Yes, for an expert (real expert, not a "I think I'm an expert") rider some of the electronic aids can/do/may inhibit the way they ride. For 99% of the world, the bike offers an extra layer of protection and "skill". Keith Code's Superbike school switched to the BMW for all of its classes. I've taken a Superbike class, and I respect Keith's opinion. In the same issue of Motorcyclist, he goes out of his way to call the BMW "the best high-performance rider-training aid ever invented". I was thinking of taking another class just to try the bike on the track. No, I'm not a BMW shill, and yes, I do own a Brutale, but it's hard not to appreciate what BMW has done, especially considering the price.

Overall, given the prices of the bikes, you can make a very good case that the F4 is by far the best deal out there.
+1000

BrutaleLuke

"A Tiger doesn't lose sleep over the opinion of sheep"
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 12:05 AM
Established Member

I always find it odd when subjective commentary is used to usurp performance numbers in these type of tests, regardless of the brands.

I'm interested in seeing how they compared the almost identical "merely adequate" MV and Duc Brembo brake packages.

"I am a Cafe Racer myself, on some days - and it is one of my finest addictions." - Hunter S. Thompson
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 01:11 AM
Established Member

I think its the crappy master cylinder that makes it adequate. Fit Brembo radial masters and see the difference. I was thinking of upgrading the 6 pot calipers on my 1000S to radial Brembos, but after upgading the masters I no longer had a need to.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 06:22 AM

I put a Brembo on my 02. Made a world of difference.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-14-2010, 07:30 AM
Living the Dream

New Site Garage
I thought the article was a good read as well. It is funny that rearsets (which are cheap to replace) and gearing (even cheaper to replace) are the reasons for a third place finish.
Either way, i can't wait to the local dealership gets there demo!!!

Get busy livin, or get busy dyin
Motorcycle Art!
You live more in 5 minutes on a bike like this, going
flat out, than most people live in a lifetime.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode