post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

R the F4 312R's that bad @ Overheating?

About to buy 2008 F4 312R

2400 miles
extended warranty to 2014
loads of carbon extras
lowered

$14,500

I seen it once, all looked and sounded o.k., but have read SO many threads on overheating-bad wheel bearings, gear boxes, ect......

Are these bike THAT unreliable!?!

After seeing it, its hard to settle for a CBR RR 600

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 10:40 PM
The Machinist

These bikes really aren't anymore unreliable than the next bike. The guys that overheat them just don't ride them fast enough...
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-03-2010, 11:23 PM

I cannot comment on wheel bearings or the gear boxes (as I have only had my bike for a couple of months), but I will comment on it overheating. From day-1 my bike has overheated when either stopped at traffic lights, or riding at low speeds. The problem is inherently lack of air flow through the radiator (engine fans are not enough), and to a lesser extend low coolant circulation while at low engine revs. If you search the forum there are some fixes for these issues.

The other issue I currently have is the top radiator on my bike has split on the top core and I am waiting for it to be replaced under warrantly.

Even though I have had a few issues, I am still totally in love with the thing.

Hope this helps.
post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 12:01 AM

You will be fine. The '08 F4312R here only gets warm in stop/go traffic on warm days. But the stock fan comes on and keeps things OK (At least for me). Any bike like this isn't a hoot in traffic. Keep the bike moving on a flowing road, track, circuit, etc. and the temps are fine.... and the experience doing so on a F4 is inimitable.

Oh, never an issue with wheel bearings, gear box, etc. either.
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 12:20 AM

It's a reliable bike. High quality materials and design and good craftsmanship when put together at the factory. But yes we all know it runs hot when standing for long periods. So if you are going to sit in traffic all day then don't buy one.

It's not the bikes fault.
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 04:18 AM

New Site Garage
Get some Evans NPG (r) water free coolant, bike will never boil again or overheat, fans cut in and it sits at 96 degrees all day long whatever the traffic/weather, have however added an impellar from e-mo'fo and muzzy fans

Last edited by Tocalosh Black; 06-04-2010 at 06:47 AM.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 04:45 AM

The F4 312R I had was a stunning bike.
It did overheat within seconds of slowing down.
Above is correct, as long as you are moving all is OK. This is NOT a city bike and it hates traffic; open roads and your fine.
What has ammased me is the different experiences everyone has - some no issues at all, mine was pretty bad - having to turn it off in traffic and wait 30 mins for it to cool down - and thats in Britain where its not that hot... I tried new coolant, new fans even new impellar but no difference at all.
The only thing that made a difference was to trade it in for a New Brutale 990R - no issues at all with heat, even in bad traffic. However, as I said - I have friends with no issues at all.
Take it for a spin in traffic and see how it performs - its the only way to tell it its got HOT issues.
As for Quality, no issues at all.

Pyrah
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2010 - Brutale 990R
2009 - 312R F4
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 05:55 AM

G'day,

Yes, mine was terrible...unacceptable even...
Got the warrenty upgrades impeller and engine ice and although its early days, it seems to have helped.

How much it has helped, I dont yet know as I have only ridden it once since, but it seemed better....

I will find out soon enough when I hit those dredded red lights or traffic jams...

It was almost like watching a stopwatch the way the temp went up as soon as I slowed down, or stopped.

If this warrenty fix has sorted this prob then I will be a very happy man, as this is a most amazing bike...

Cheers
Matt

Currently : mv1000f4 312r, Ducati 750ss (95),and previously...gsxr600 k1, yzf1000r, ducati 900ss, ducati 600m, yzf750r, cbr600f, xt600, gpz900r, nsr250sp, kr1,
cagiva mito 125 (lawson replica), rg250, z250, cb350 (Four)...and counting...
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 06:32 AM

I had mine over heat from day one got fixed under warrenty, no problems.Before temps would get to 120c in stop start traffic, now it gets to about 105c. My radiator cracked and had that replaced under warrenty too, they are made from an outside vendor so not really MV's fault
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 06:49 AM

you need a s1000rr Chris.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode