mystery leak - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 02:50 AM Thread Starter

mystery leak

Got a mystery leak. think it's coolant. I think coming from somewhere under the tank.

First spotted some white residue on the swing-arm, directly under the battery tray. checked the battery so no leaks there. can see the white residue has run down the shock and been thrown up onto the bottom of the battery tray. now it's dripped down onto the swing-arm, which is where i spotted it.

I've tried to clean it up as much as possible, and most of it came off reasonable easily, NB: before pictures are attached. (tilt your head to the left for picture #2)
Also gave the chain a scrub and re-lube just in case any got onto it.

any idea's people? dropping it in for a service tomorrow so would like to be able to point them in the right direction...
Attached Images

Last edited by Snohman; 06-02-2010 at 02:53 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 03:20 AM

Recheck the battery as the cheapy lead acid battery tends to leak especially when laid on its side. The acid is pretty corrosive as well. The original F4 2000 had issues with battery leaking over the rear height adjuster and swingarm.

Coolant leaks are mainly from the front of the bike not the rear.

Other than that it could wet paint or concrete that got flicked up from the road.

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast!!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 07:46 AM

Almost certainly battery acid. Take the battery out ASAP and neutralise any residue that's still on the bike with a lot of water.

I had my battery leak and it left stains exactly like that. What's more it damaged the shock aswell as damaging the surfaces of the linkages and swing arm.

Si
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 08:21 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
What I see in those photos is definitely battery acid....sorry.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 08:39 AM

UGH def. Battery Acid.. Coolant would have just ran off
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 04:47 AM Thread Starter

bugger. it is the battery. cracked along the seal. think i'm being paranoid but think the timing chain might be a bit loose aswell
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 05:31 AM

Shit,
Those acid leaks are BAD news...I had 2 ducati's that the batterys exploded...2nd duke it happened to I thought I would put it thru insurance and see what they would say (assuming they would just say - see the battery manufacturer etc etc) however they wrote the bike off...!!!

The acid had damaged the engine cases, exhausts, swingarm,and some plastics...(only cosmetic though...) I got a water hose onto it just 10 mins after the event however the acid had allready taken its toll....The bike was perfectly rideable (with a new battery) but a write off insurance
wise...

Moral of the story? Battery acid burns, big time....

Matt

Currently : mv1000f4 312r, Ducati 750ss (95),and previously...gsxr600 k1, yzf1000r, ducati 900ss, ducati 600m, yzf750r, cbr600f, xt600, gpz900r, nsr250sp, kr1,
cagiva mito 125 (lawson replica), rg250, z250, cb350 (Four)...and counting...
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Established Member

Seems like another reason to go to a A123 battery pack.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 02:08 PM

New Site Garage
Need to chime in here, i don't doubt it is battery acid but have you stopped to consider that it maybe honyamsakasuki rider that liked your bike so much that he had to throw one off while you were filling up or something..............just a thought but could be MV envy again
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-04-2010, 02:27 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tocalosh Black View Post
Need to chime in here, i don't doubt it is battery acid but have you stopped to consider that it maybe honyamsakasuki rider that liked your bike so much that he had to throw one off while you were filling up or something..............just a thought but could be MV envy again
I dont know whether to laugh or puke.......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode