Rear Wheel locks up easy - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Rear Wheel locks up easy

I've put 500 miles on my F4 since I got it on Thursday and I've locked up the rear wheel almost a half a dozen times already. Once by downshifting, the rest by jamming on the rear brake in hard braking situations. The bike has an almost new Pirelli Diablo 180 on the rear.

Usually I let off the brake and allow the rear wheel to grab again, and somehow I haven't even come close to a high side even though I'm breaking the rules by not coming to a complete stop.

Anyway, are these things just prone to rear wheel spin, especially since I think my suspension is set up too soft?

I used to be able to brake like a champ on my ZX-7R, but now I'm pretty nervous when braking hard because of the rear wheel spin and the front end diving from the soft setup (even after i set the suspension to "stiff" as per the manual).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 10:43 AM

Please don't take this wrong, but what you describe is a sign of sloppy riding.

If I am too aggressive releasing the clutch on the track, the back wheel will begin to skid (this is also a legitimate technique used by some racers to "back it in" to a corner) around a bit. This can be remedied by being smoother with your clutch releases.

Using the rear brake during "hard braking" on a modern sportbike is like playing with a bag of rattlesnakes, eventually you are going to get bit. The front brakes are so strong, when coupled with the fairly radical geometry of a sportbike, hard braking with them will have the rear wheel skimming the ground, or actually in the air. Messing with the rear brake in this situation is not good.

Last edited by luvtolean; 09-05-2006 at 10:46 AM.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 10:55 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean
Please don't take this wrong, but what you describe is a sign of sloppy riding.

If I am too aggressive releasing the clutch on the track, the back wheel will begin to skid (this is also a legitimate technique used by some racers to "back it in" to a corner) around a bit. This can be remedied by being smoother with your clutch releases.

Using the rear brake during "hard braking" on a modern sportbike is like playing with a bag of rattlesnakes, eventually you are going to get bit. The front brakes are so strong, when coupled with the fairly radical geometry of a sportbike, hard braking with them will have the rear wheel skimming the ground, or actually in the air. Messing with the rear brake in this situation is not good.
I agree with you about the sloppy riding, but the front end really dives when braking hard with the front brake, making me lose a lot of confidence when grabbing a handful on the front brake. All the other bikes I've rode dove much less. Maybe I just need to get the forks recharged.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psperl
I agree with you about the sloppy riding, but the front end really dives when braking hard with the front brake, making me lose a lot of confidence when grabbing a handful on the front brake. All the other bikes I've rode dove much less. Maybe I just need to get the forks recharged.
Luvtolean said it all already. Just be smooth.

As for front diving issue, check your sag and forks set up and if that doesn't do it tell the mechanic to change the fork oil.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV-999R
Luvtolean said it all already. Just be smooth.

As for front diving issue, check your sag and forks set up and if that doesn't do it tell the mechanic to change the fork oil.
The front forks were set up horribly when I bought the bike. The preload was all messed up. I followed the manual to set the forks to "normal", which didn't do much, so I then set them to "stiff", which didn't do much, so I think he forks are just low on oil, which is weird since the seals look 100%.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 11:26 AM

What is your sag set at?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 12:22 PM
Pimp of posts

Send a message via AIM to spalding12 Send a message via MSN to spalding12 Send a message via Yahoo to spalding12
Quote:
others have helped you already
but..... suffice it to say that.... the more your front end DIVES during extreme DEceleration, the more your rear is up in the air, rendering the rear brakes 110% USELESS.....
they skid because they are no longer contacting the ground... and just spinning freely in the air (almost)

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Greg
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 Brutale 910R
'07 BMW K1200GT

live like you mean it...
but take your family and friends along for the "ride"
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 12:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean
What is your sag set at?
I don't know what that means. I just set the preload , compression and rebound on the front forks to factory "stiff" and left the rear alone.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 12:41 PM

my early 750 F4 was the same, the front was miles too soft and the rear had far too much sag in it (30 mm WITHOUT me on it!) take it to a suspension expert and get him to sort it for you
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-05-2006, 12:43 PM

Quote:
I don't know what that means. I just set the preload , compression and rebound on the front forks to factory "stiff" and left the rear alone.
Check out this file.
I think it's a good quick guide that makes it easier to understand.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Motorcycle Suspension Setup1.doc (121.0 KB, 99 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode