Sachs shocks - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 05:47 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Sachs shocks

Is there a difference in the Sachs shocks between an 04 and an 06 item? also does anyone know what the serial numbers on them denote, is the serial number common to each individual shock or do all the shocks from a specific year carry the same number stamp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 10:13 AM
MV1

The only difference I know of in Sachs units for the MV is if you have one of the earlier 750 model units (different color res) which I don't think came with the hydro pre-load adjuster, or if you have the Senna/ Tamb unit, that came on some of the more expensive special addition bikes. These were equiped with seperate high and low speed compression adjusters, in the form of dials on the body (F1 style) that made them more adjustable and assumingly better for track duties- although if your really serious about racing the thing you'd probably want to opt for the Ohlins TTX unit which most competitive teams did when running the MV.
All the other standard gold edition items (as far as I know) are basicly the same and really haven't varied a great deal over the different model years.
Now the opinion- There pretty decent, especially for stock OEM equipment, but are rather heavy and could in most cases use at least a better suited spring for you as the rider.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
the reason i ask is that i have 2 Sachs shocks of different lengths, there is no more then 10mm in it but ride height feels taller on one over the other, is that possible or is it just me? have uploaded pics to my album
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 12:42 PM
MV1

Nice tits.., ah sorry.. I mean shocks, yeah well about the shocks. How about the Pre-load settings on each? Are they both set exactly the same? I can't tell from the photo's other than one definitely does have some pre-load dialed in, which of course would effect the height and unless there both set exactly the same you will see some difference in height- especially when measured un-sprung like your doing with in the photo's.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 05-31-2010, 04:44 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
yes, the longer one, given the same spring and preload will definitely raise the rear

in changing shock springs the Ohlins 1091 series springs (160mm long) are readily available

Noel-theknurl

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl

Last edited by theknurl; 05-31-2010 at 06:20 PM.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-02-2010, 12:48 PM
MV1

Good to know knurl. What was your experience with these? Good for track riding, or more so for street riding duties? Your general riding weight related to this set-up? Another words I'm about 190-195 fully geared up for the track, with helmet, gloves, suit etc. Just wondering if this spring would be a good option for a project track bike or not.
Thanks
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Just found this in a previous post, guess i am not the only one that has noticed this

Watch out with the newer shocks. The 05 1000 shocks are slightly longer and has hydraulically adjustable ride height adjustment. The only difference is in the 05, the shock is a little longer.

http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showth...ighlight=sachs

Last edited by Tocalosh Black; 06-15-2010 at 12:58 PM.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 08:50 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
I'm not convinced the shocks are manufactured to different lengths. Perhaps that is the case but it is a moot point since you don't set the ride height of the bike with the preload adjuster. Ride height should be set with the ride height adjuster. Sag is what you set with the preload adjuster. As long as the rear ride height is around 190mm, free sag is 10mm and rider sag (total sag) is around 30mm the length of the shock is immaterial.

If you can't get 10mm and 30mm with the stock spring because it has given up the ghost, or you are too heavy or light, I would say the total sag number is more important. As long as it is at that 30mm level, you should be fine.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 10:07 PM
Established Member

Now here is an interesting question. My 05 is lowered all the way and it is still to high for me. Could I change out the spring to a Ohlins 150mm spring to help with the height problem? or would that not be a good idea?
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 06-15-2010, 10:55 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
Quote:
Originally Posted by MV Guy 12345 View Post
Now here is an interesting question. My 05 is lowered all the way and it is still to high for me. Could I change out the spring to a Ohlins 150mm spring to help with the height problem? or would that not be a good idea?
DO NOT PUT A 150mm spring i where a 160 is supposed to be

to lower the bike in the rear, look for posts by yamacatiman, he drag races and slams them

put spacers between the bottom shock mount 3 bolts and the swingarm, DO NOT GO OVER 5mm WITHOUT USING LONGER BOLTS

before doing this measure rear chassis height .....then lower the front the same amount as the rear.....or tip in will be SLOW to say the least

when you go out for your 1st rides..... APPROACH MAX LEAN SLOWLY you have decreased ground clearance!!!

Noel-theknurl

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode