Does anyone know what this is??? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

Does anyone know what this is???

Does anyone know what the "Starter Safety Central Unit" is on the F4?

I'm troubleshooting the bike and the service manual says that this can be defective but when I search for this in the .pdf file it only comes up the one time when it says that it's defective.

I thought maybe it would be the starter motor but the manual makes it pretty clear when it refers to the 'starter motor' or 'starter relay'.

Any thoughts?

2005 MV F4-1000S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 07:52 AM

Hi turbo,

I think it is just inconsistent translation from Italian to English.

I've checked the manual, and for the various models and years they are talking about;

Starter safety central unit faulty. See page 28.
Engine control unit broken. See page 28.
Check the starter relay. See page 28.

When you go to this page 28 it shows a picture of the starter relay.

I hope this helps,

Willy
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 09:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks bud. I've actually checked the starter relay and it's good. It had voltage.

CAG sent me a new starter motor and hopefully that resolves the problem but I was wondering if there was anything else that it could be.

2005 MV F4-1000S
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 09:43 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Could it be an interlock relay that prevents starting in gear with side stand down or clutch not pulled whilst in gear? I haven't studied the schematic for this yet, but that is an item most Jap bikes have.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbo329 View Post
Thanks bud. I've actually checked the starter relay and it's good. It had voltage.

CAG sent me a new starter motor and hopefully that resolves the problem but I was wondering if there was anything else that it could be.
Are you sure the starter motor is faulty?

You could easily check it by bridging the whole starter circuit, to do this you take a piece of wire and hold it on the battery "plus" pole, and the other end on the starter motor wire directly on the "plus" pole of the starter motor.

If you can, use a battery jumper cable, if the wire diameter is too small it will get so hot that it will for sure burn your fingers, if you only have a small diameter wire just don't run the starter motor too long, then you should be alright as well.
Attached Images

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 06:25 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
checking the starter;
key off, short across the 2 large solenoid terminals, the starter should crank...assuming the battery is good and the terminals are tight....

checking the solenoid;
if that made it turn over, put a jumper from the battery+ terminal on the solenoid to the small terminal on the solenoid.....if it cranks....its some thing in the interlock system

like Ed said, i haven't looked at it either

Noel-theknurl

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 07:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknurl View Post
checking the starter;
key off, short across the 2 large solenoid terminals, the starter should crank...assuming the battery is good and the terminals are tight....
Hey Noel, we try to short the relay and it didn't crank. Does that mean it's the starter motor?

Thanks to CAG I just received a replacement motor yesterday but just wanted to get you guys input before I pull the bike apart.

...My bike is 5 years old but it only has 3,000 miles. That's weird that the starter motor would go. I'm wondering what I did wrong to make it die so early in it's life.

2005 MV F4-1000S
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 07:45 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
its probably the starter, so run a large jumper from the battery to the starter.....

you already got another from CAG but....

Denso starters all have the same drive gear and armature....the end plates are different at the mounting lugs

if it needs brushes you can buy new brushes through PartsUnlimited or Rick's. it has 2 brushes

when you pull the armature out of the brushes ....you will need to retract them with 2 pieces of sheet metal bent 90deg held in place with needle nose Vise Grips

Noel-theknurl

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-27-2010, 08:29 PM Thread Starter

Okay. I just have 1 more stupid question.

If I run a jumper cable from the battery to the starter and it starts up, does that mean that it's a wiring issue and not the starter?

If it doesn't start up then it's likely the starter motor, correct?

I'm wondering if when I had the tank off that I jacked up the neutral cable and if that could have some effect too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theknurl View Post
its probably the starter, so run a large jumper from the battery to the starter.....

you already got another from CAG but....

Denso starters all have the same drive gear and armature....the end plates are different at the mounting lugs

if it needs brushes you can buy new brushes through PartsUnlimited or Rick's. it has 2 brushes

when you pull the armature out of the brushes ....you will need to retract them with 2 pieces of sheet metal bent 90deg held in place with needle nose Vise Grips

Noel-theknurl

2005 MV F4-1000S

Last edited by Turbo329; 05-27-2010 at 08:46 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode