fans defunct - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 04:32 PM Thread Starter

fans defunct

Had a jolly good rideout t/day, first 140 mile round trip in aid of the local hospice. Sooper warm and sunny day...........what a time to find out that the cooling fans are on strike. Sat in traffic, it took seconds to go from 108 deg to 118!!!
Sat on the side of the road, fairings off, checked the fuse and thats ok. Checked the wiring by the fan and exhaust and all ok there too.
The usual suspect on a car would be the temp sender unit.
I have noticed that there are two on the bike, could the same be said for either of these two. Have also noticed a relay. rhs by the rad. Any ideas, thoughts you peeps could remedy the fault
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 07:35 AM
lee

Try bypassing the relay with some jumpers. If the fans then run the relay is bad.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 05-25-2010, 04:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeteast View Post
Had a jolly good rideout t/day, first 140 mile round trip in aid of the local hospice. Sooper warm and sunny day...........what a time to find out that the cooling fans are on strike. Sat in traffic, it took seconds to go from 108 deg to 118!!!
Sat on the side of the road, fairings off, checked the fuse and thats ok. Checked the wiring by the fan and exhaust and all ok there too.
The usual suspect on a car would be the temp sender unit.
I have noticed that there are two on the bike, could the same be said for either of these two. Have also noticed a relay. rhs by the rad. Any ideas, thoughts you peeps could remedy the fault
Geez,

Mine would hit those temps all the time, and the fans were working....

Currently : mv1000f4 312r, Ducati 750ss (95),and previously...gsxr600 k1, yzf1000r, ducati 900ss, ducati 600m, yzf750r, cbr600f, xt600, gpz900r, nsr250sp, kr1,
cagiva mito 125 (lawson replica), rg250, z250, cb350 (Four)...and counting...
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 01:13 PM Thread Starter

Havent got any further forward in resolving the fan problem. Have been reading some of the older posts on here and done further checks but I have reached the point on where to or what to do next. With the bike still in bits its beginning to look a bit sad.

Anyway someone on here could just possibly point me in the right direction instead of going round in ever decreasing circles........

I dont know if this has occurred since I ripped out the alarm system or just plain coincidence.
I checked out the relay and that is switching ok on the two vertical terminals with the centre terminal missing.

There is voltage 12v comming out of the connector plug on the yellow fused wire, the fat yellowish grey wire and 10.5 v out of the white/black stripe thin wire which I assume goes to the ecu.....no voltage present on this wire when the button is pressed in to prevent starting mode. The grey central wire has no voltage which I assume goes to the fans and also to the temp sender unit
I have tested the fans with a direct feed from the battery and all ok
According to the shop manual removing the temp sensor plug [in rad sensor] and bridging the wires the fans should work. No they dont!!

There is voltage from the plug wire blueishgreen color of about 4.75v which I assume is ok.
Big question.....to substitute the relay in case there is fault between the other terminals, how do I wire the connectors to test the fan operation??? as if the relay was fitted.

Come on fellas, the good weathers here and its getting frustrating
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 01:35 PM

New Site Garage
Had the same problen, sent it back to the dealers to find out the relay had gone, quite a common fault apparently, speak to your dealer to get a new one, or a better option might be CAG
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply, I am waiting for the 2 temp sensors to arrive at stupidly expensive prices thinking it could be those at fault. I have a faint suspicion that just by making the relay switch... is not a full check. I have just taken one out of the Range Rover which has the spades in the right places but are they interchangeable.... and fitted it to the bike and still no luck
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-05-2010, 07:47 PM
lee

The temp sensor in the engine sends a variable voltage to the ECU depending on the engine temp. Ditto the one in the rad for the dash. At a predetermined figure the ECU turns the fans on and off. It sends the signal to the fan relay via the grey/black wire which energizes the relay solenoid, closes the relay and sends power (from the yellow wire off the 15a fuse) to the fans.

If you disconnect one of the fan connectors (blue and black wires to the fans), put a probe lead from the yellow wire on the relay to the black wire in the connector, or the blue (doesn't matter which -they'll run in reverse if you get the wrong one) and ground the other one the fan should run. Try 'em both in case one fan is bad. If the fans run then your relay is bad or the ECU is not sending the energize signal or the temp sender is not giving the ECU the proper voltages. Do NOT go messing with the sender by putting 12v to it. There's a procedure for measuring it's output in the manual. Also do NOT fiddle with the grey/black wire or put power to it. Read "fry the ECU". Just the yellow, blue and black.

I can't remember if the relay has spade connectors or it's own harness. (Getting old really sucks). If it has 4 or 5 spade connectors you can get a 30 amp automotive relay at Radio Shack. The connection diag is right on the relay. You don't need a $100.00 relay from MV for which you'll wait two months.

If you blow it all up don't blame me.

Last edited by lee; 06-05-2010 at 07:49 PM.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 04:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the info lee, well, things are going from bad to worse. Went to test the fans this morning and bugger me, cant find the relay. Looked everywhere and absolute zip!!!
After rushing round and getting brushed up for an evening out, I must have swallowed it during the evenings drinking session.
God, this age thing is getting to me now. I'll forget where I parked the bike next!!!
So, there is a relay on fleabay via a written off mv .....and anyone help with what the part no. is on the unit. Thanks in anticipation
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 05:22 PM

Mine is a four-spade connection, the only marking I can see is '13/03/03V'. I've no idea what this means.
I'm pretty sure you can get one for pennies at Maplin or Radio Shack.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-25-2010, 07:08 PM

Have you resolved this problem yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeteast View Post
Thanks for the info lee, well, things are going from bad to worse. Went to test the fans this morning and bugger me, cant find the relay. Looked everywhere and absolute zip!!!
After rushing round and getting brushed up for an evening out, I must have swallowed it during the evenings drinking session.
God, this age thing is getting to me now. I'll forget where I parked the bike next!!!
So, there is a relay on fleabay via a written off mv .....and anyone help with what the part no. is on the unit. Thanks in anticipation

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode