I inherited an F4... - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 03:30 PM Thread Starter

I inherited an F4...

Hello mvaugusta.net,

I'm Stephen, I'm currently stationed in Ft. Benning, GA with the United States Army. As the title reads I recently inherited an 08 1000R as the result of my girlfriends brother passing. I really know nothing about this bike other than it had a "problem" that is why it has 23xx miles on it. I've admired the bike but never had the time to rip into it.

As I understand the bike needed a new battery and hasn't ran since. My understanding is the fuel cell must be removed to replace the battery and as I got it to fire yesterday it was acting starved of fuel. Is there any way a line may have been disconnected as I see a White Coupling, Black coupling and a 4-1 single hose running. Also is a long fuel line going from the tank down.

Also another question is what is the deal with the button on the top right side of the tank, the only way i was able to fire it was to hold the button while starting it. I will admit I am very ignorant to the Italian piece of art sitting in my garage now as I am a proud owner of a CBR 1000rr whom will be getting sold as soon as this MV is a GO.
Any help, advise, or Documents would be greatly appreciated. You can email them to me at [email protected]
Thank you all so much,
-Stephen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 05:33 PM
Established Member

You don't have to remove the tank to replace the battery, however you do need to undo the bar over the battery that secures the tank, this this loose the battery can be removed.

Under the tank there are 2 x quick connectors for the fuel lines (black and white), an electrical connection and some rain lines (skinny lines going down past the engine). Check the fuel connectors aren't leaking or broken when the power is applied (quite common when disconnecting and reconnecting the tank).

If all is OK there look inside the tank (must be quite empty) and see if fuel is being sprayed around. If so then it is likely one of the connectors inside the tank has come loose (quite common). PS don't use a naked light inside a fuel tank to look for spraying fuel.

The button you are referring to is not original and presumably is part of some type of anti-theft system that has been fitted at a later date.

If the bike is failing to start then I'd be looking carefully at the anti-theft system, if the bike is running poorly and hasn't been used for some time and there are no fuel leaks, then I'd change the fuel, put some injector cleaner in the tank and give it a good run.

An F4 1000R is a bit sensitive at lower revs and needs to be dominated by the rider to get the best of it (i.e. it is not a cruiser). With a twisty road and determined rider this is a seriously quick machine and once 8000rpm have been exceeded life gets even more exciting.

Andrew...
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 07:31 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Stephen,
There is a wealth of information on this forum.
Here is a link to a site with owner and service manuals

http://my.agusta.us/

I am sure we can help you get her up and running.
Cheers, and sorry for your girlfriend's loss.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue)
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 12:04 AM

I do a lot of traveling to Ft. Benning! I work for PM-SKOT on the DOD side. You should get that thing running and come up in OCT for the MV gathering. Great time and your only maybe 2 1/2hrs away the most. Look for the Bubbalicious honky tonk banjo playin,squeelin good time thread! No just kidding it is called Bubbalicious event. It is a ton of fun and some good people and everyone is on MVs the most you will ever see together at one time on the East Coast Even a few folks from across the pond come over for it.

And like stated above Just ask anything and snap a pic of the area and the guys here can fix anything for you.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 03:06 AM

Sorry to hear about how you got the bike but now that you have it, well.
First thing I would do is to take to a good dealer and have it checked out unless you feel comfortable looking into it yourself.
Good luck with it.

If Adam and Eve were Chinese, we would still be in paradise
because they would have ignored the apple and eaten the snake!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode