Relay flashers, battery. I don't know - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Relay flashers, battery. I don't know

Hi guys,
I had some problem the last 2 months starting my bike because I wasn't using it enough. So every 2 weeks when I wanted to take it for a ride I had to charge the battery. Every time I did it, everything was working fine until 2 weeks ago. I couldn't start the bike again so I had to charge the battery again but that time, I noticed that my blinkers wouldn't blink anymore and were just staying on.

So I post a thread and people told me:
- to check my connections between the wires: I did and I think everything is fine.

- to check the light bulb: I think they (the front ones) are fine since they still light up but don't blink. I use an integrated taillight on the back so I don't think that LED bulb can burn out. Maybe I'm wrong!

- to check the relay flasher: I think it's fine but I ordered a new one in case. It's not really expensive so why not? But when I took off the relay flasher I didn't pay attention to wires color: I'm really not a "handy guy" .So now, I don't want to burn the new one.

First question: who can tell me how to connect the wires correctly without burning out the new relay flasher?
I have a yellow/green wire with a RED connector and a black/purple wire with a BLACK connector coming out from the bike. I don't know if it's on purpose but I guess the RED connector for + and the BLACK connector for -. But I prefer to check since the wires themselves are not just red and black so now, I doubt. Also there is a B and a L on the relay flasher so what goes where?

Second question: on the first thread, a guy told me that my battery is probably dead since I have to charge every time I wanted to ride which sounds right and that's why it is probably messing with the electronic in the bike. Again, my turns signals stopped blinking only 2 weeks ago (but still light up) but I had the problem with starting the bike for 2 months and never had this problem before even after charging the bike. So I don't know. Is that possible that my battery is really dead now but I still can start my bike and the blinkers are still lighting up?

This morning when I wanted to start the bike but it wouldn't start so I had to charge the battery. It was charged within 15 minutes when it took 45 minutes to an hour before.

I 'm pretty sure that I have to change the battery but I still don't understand why the bike can still run (today) and why the blinkers don't blink but still light up.

Thanks for your help.
Fred

Fred

Last edited by Fred's Connexion; 05-22-2010 at 09:10 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 01:39 PM

Flasher wiring answer:
the red connector from the wiring harness goes to the B terminal (B=battery)
the black connector goes to the L terminal (L=lights)

Your original flasher should have had a red dot where the red connector goes.

Last edited by pista; 05-22-2010 at 01:42 PM.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 06:00 PM
Established Member

The blinker light staying on could be a bad earth, either at battery or at one of the blinkers.

Does this happen on both blinker sides
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 07:12 PM
The Dude

i have blinker problems on mine. I had the relay replaced as well.

It's kinda funny. It seems to not blink until warmed up. odd. For a while it'll go. Then at some point down the highway going to where I need to be, they stop. Sometimes turning off the bike and then on works, sometimes it doesn't.

Not great. I will have it looked at again, I don't want a ticket for not signaling.

'06 MV Agusta Brutale 910 || '03 MV Agusta F4 750 - Moto Corse Challenge 2 || '05 Yamaha FJR1300A || '04 Honda CBR600RR || '96 Honda XR250 || '90 Honda CBR250RR (MC22) || '89 Honda VT250 Spada

Tokyo, Japan
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

thank pista. i will see that once i will be home.
and yes sdcmv, it does happen on both side.
Nobody thinks it's because of my battery?

Fred
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-22-2010, 10:47 PM
Established Member

Hello Fred, sorry to hear you are still having problems. I was the guy or at least one of, that indicated it could be low voltage condition ie.the battery.
Firstly, Electronics and its related systems, can get complicated to troubleshoot, especially if your not a hands on guy. But if you are determined to get this solved. heres my two cents worth.
Battery is where you need to start, the fact that its 'charging' at a quicker interval is a sign its capacity to hold a charge is diminishing. (Sounds like your battery has had it). But to be sure, read the voltage at the terminals of the battery. Also make sure your connections at those terminals are not loose. If you are under 12 volts then thats one problem solved. Report back what you find. After thats confirmed, the question WHY your battery is dead needs to be addressed. if its due to infrequent/seldom use without charging, then thats an easy answer. But it could be something more involved.
FYI With another bike i had replaced the battery more than usual, i also kept burning up rectifiers, and there were numerous electrical gremlins that would appear infrequently. Long story short, after replacing the wiring harness. I found that the largest ground/negetive cable coming off the battery was fried! I replaced it with a heavier gauge wire and did not have one problem thereafter.
Remember there alot of expensive components that require the correct voltage. At the very least you are stressing your alternator to keep a dead cell charged.
Good Luck and keep us posted what you find.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 03:06 AM
Established Member

Hook up any good 12v battery and start their.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

I ordered a new battery this morning and will see when how is it going once I will receive it. Unfortunately, I didn't check your comment before ordering the battery to see if the connections at those battery terminals were loose or not. Anyway, my battery is probably "dead". I will check tonight to make sure that it wasn't a bad connection coming out from those terminals. I will keep you posted.
Thanks for your help guys.

Fred
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Hi guys,
I was outside of the country for a while and couldn't take care of my "blinkers" problem before.
FYI IT'S FIXED!!!
I would like to thank MPF4 and Pista who help me though this forum. I love this website.
So today, I put my new battery because the old one was dead but the turn signals still wouldn't blink. So I changed the relay flasher and yeaaaaaaaaahhh, it worked.
So I think my problem was coming from the relay flasher.
Now I have a question: Since I will be gone for a month this summer, what would be the best for my battery? Unplugged it?
Thanks again guys.

Fred
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-06-2010, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred's Connexion View Post
Now I have a question: Since I will be gone for a month this summer, what would be the best for my battery? Unplugged it?
Thanks again guys.
Battery Tender??

~Serge~

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode