What should I look at when going to check an used F4?????? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

What should I look at when going to check an used F4??????

HI,

I am going to see a MV Agusta F4 1000R from 2008 tomorrow with 5000 km (3100miles). Only one owner and metting him at 6.30pm

It will be my first MV of all time, if everything goes well.

What should I check on the bike before making any deal?

Here is a list that I know.

-Front tyre has to be changed
-Rear tyre brand new
-Small scratch in the left side oil cover
-first service done at dealer
- 1 year guarranty left

To what do I have to be careful ?
What should I look at?
brakes of course, if any leakage in the suspensions,

I am a bit nervous cos' from the owner and no guaranty of a dealer.

Please advice me and make me smarter

ps linked some pics of the bike...
see scratch if you can

best regards
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 02:39 PM

well
if i am reading that tire right, it looks as through he has never really 'ridden' it :-)
but, look for traces of anti freeze on the inside left bodywork (you are going to have to take it off), if it is toward the top it is a cracked radiator, if it is toward the bottom it is just the over flow (no prob).
Check the rear wheel hub (the whole wheel) for any indications of metal shavings (hub bearing on its way out). if he/she was to lazy to clean it off, they deserve to get hagged for the price of replacement (but this is not a deal breaker).
Those two things are not manufacture faults they are just things that if you are not tedious and meticulous with the care of the bike, they can bite hard.
other than that, YOU need to be ready to ride a wild stallion.
:-)

Italian outfit, Rubber, heat, grunting, and you fill the open hole for more?? What's not to love??
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 04:27 PM Thread Starter

Tx TreeMV for the info...

Does someone else have ideas of what I should look at?

cheers.
-m
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-19-2010, 05:00 PM
Established Member

make sure to run the bike to see if it overheats. While others say its normal to overheat while ideling, I say bullshit, because mine has never done it. Check and make sure the fan comes on when the bike heats up and make sure the temps drop when the fan is working. Check the color of the oil from the windows on the right side of the case, and have him take the left side fairing off to see if the bike has been down. From the looks of the left case cover, it might have gone down and he repaired/replaced the left fairing to hide it. How els would the left case cover have a scratch.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV Guy 12345 View Post
make sure to run the bike to see if it overheats. While others say its normal to overheat while ideling, I say bullshit, because mine has never done it. Check and make sure the fan comes on when the bike heats up and make sure the temps drop when the fan is working. Check the color of the oil from the windows on the right side of the case, and have him take the left side fairing off to see if the bike has been down. From the looks of the left case cover, it might have gone down and he repaired/replaced the left fairing to hide it. How els would the left case cover have a scratch.
Well
I bought a 312r brand new and like (every other?) it does overheat...does this mean mine is dud...? Prob
not, it prob means it is 'normal'...dont worry too much about that, but do look into doing something to
rectify it...If it is still under warrenty look at getting the upgraded impeller from the factory, either way.

Make sure that you ride it thru some traffic, or traffic lights as one day you WILL have to.....

Having bought a new one the only other advice I can offer is that it should go like stink....if not..., look
elsewhere...

Dam they look HOT in that colour scheme...

Good luck !
Matt

Currently : mv1000f4 312r, Ducati 750ss (95),and previously...gsxr600 k1, yzf1000r, ducati 900ss, ducati 600m, yzf750r, cbr600f, xt600, gpz900r, nsr250sp, kr1,
cagiva mito 125 (lawson replica), rg250, z250, cb350 (Four)...and counting...
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 06:37 AM

Oh,
And, yes my fans work just fine, as in they activate, but do nothing to reduce temps....

Currently : mv1000f4 312r, Ducati 750ss (95),and previously...gsxr600 k1, yzf1000r, ducati 900ss, ducati 600m, yzf750r, cbr600f, xt600, gpz900r, nsr250sp, kr1,
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 07:15 AM Thread Starter

Hi,

I will drive in the traffic and lights with it striaght away. Will see if it heats up.

I also called the shop who sold the bike to the actual owner. They confirmed that the guy has been at there place to do the first check up. That he is only 20 and a good rider. He also have worked for them when he was younger.

The scratch on the left side oil cover came before he even bought the bike. They were moving it in the shop and the bike fell on the left side, on the foot of a client. Eventhough I will ask for him to show me the pannels from the inside. you never know and are too careful.

The front wheel seems to be quite used and as you can see he has been riding it on a track with the knee on the pavement. As the shop owner said, the actual owner has been riding bikes since a child and good at it.

But at his knowledge the bike is in perfect state.

One modification he has made on it is the titanium part on the exhaust, for more flow as he said. He also has every OEM part so I can change them back if I need to.

The only thing is that my girlfriend won't be happy cos' it's a one seater... On the other hand she can be sure that no other girl will ever sit behind me
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 07:52 AM

Couple of things I will highlight here that may or may not help...

regarding the 'fall' and scratch on oil cover...I find it hard to believe that if this event did happen that there would be no other evidence on the plastic's to support this? Or bar ends, mirrors etc???

I could be wrong? But...Its pretty easy to spot a 'moving' fall and a 'stationary' fall...

Its a shame that the person you are buying the bike from ALSO worked at the same shop as where they
are providing the assessment....

'The front wheel seems to be quite used' ? @ 5000km's ? In 'normal' use the front tyre would still be OEM
tyre at these km's( or 2nd set) , 'quite used' shit...? Just how many track days(races ?) has he done on it? You mean tyre, not wheel (rim) I assume...

What is the titanium part?

First service is @ 1000km's, just a look over and oil + filter
Next one is due at 6000km's

Dont want to sound negative, just make sure everything adds up right....

Hope it works out !
Amazing machines for sure....

Cheers,
Matt

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 08:06 AM

That scratch seems more at speed than stationary. I would check the alignment of forks, and take all the fairings off, and check for leaks or dirty areas. Clean it well, and go for a 50k (30mi) ride at least. Then let it cool down 1-2 hrs, and recheck for leaks. Also check the rear shock condition. all the adjustment screws should get to top. Not a never end turning.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-20-2010, 08:16 AM

The price is a factor and just to give you an idea I paid $15,750.00 for mine off of EBay brand new fresh out of the crate, same year, same color but a 312R, it was a hold over bike and I bought it in Feb of this year. With the economy the way it is it is a buyers market. Deals like I got don't come along every day but this will give you some idea to work with.
Are there any upgrades other than the titanium mid pipe you mentioned?
Look at the fork tubes for signs of the coating being worn at the tops where they go into the outer tubes. I was looking at a used bike before I found the one I bought and there was very noticable wear and when I asked about it the dealer told me the fork tubes were being replaced under warranty. Have the seller or a friend pull up on the bars to take some weight off the front end to expose the upper area of the inner fork tube to check for this. If there is wear check with the dealer you mentioned about warranty replacement.
When you ride the bike check for pulsing in the front brake lever that would indicate rotor warpage. While you are checking the front brakes take a look at the thickness of the brake pads. Thin worn out brake pads are a sign of heavy track use, not a deal braker but a factor to concider in the price. With the low mileage I would not worry too much about the bike having been ridden on the track all that much. Do check the shifting smoothness for any issues which would indicate damaged shift forks.
I prefer monopostos, single seat, bikes myself. I hate riding anyone on the back. Not only is it a pain in general but I don't want to be responcible for hurting anyone if I were to have a spill. If your Girl Friend/Significant Other is into bikes all that much help her get her own and help teach her to ride.

Good luck!

If Adam and Eve were Chinese, we would still be in paradise
because they would have ignored the apple and eaten the snake!

Last edited by Sagerider; 05-20-2010 at 08:39 AM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode