New F4 Owner's Questions - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

New F4 Owner's Questions

As you can see in my last thread, I just bought an '00 F4.

Here are some things I noticed. I don't know if they are problems or what. I hope you guys can help.

High-speed vibrations - Up to 100 mph the bike is rock solid. At 100-120, I start to notice some rhythmic vibrations in the front end. It makes me scared to push the top end of the bike. The suspension seems to be set up VERY soft (I don't even feel manhole covers and some potholes), so could this be related?

Temperature - Leaving the dealership in Manhattan, the water temp shot up to 200 almost immediately. It peaked as high as 220 once, but mostly hovered between 190 and 215 until I could get out of the city and onto open roads. How hot is too hot? Is this thing not safe for city driving?

Manuals - Does anyone have an electronic copy of the owner's or preferably the service manual?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by psperl
As you can see in my last thread, I just bought an '00 F4.

Here are some things I noticed. I don't know if they are problems or what. I hope you guys can help.

High-speed vibrations - Up to 100 mph the bike is rock solid. At 100-120, I start to notice some rhythmic vibrations in the front end. It makes me scared to push the top end of the bike. The suspension seems to be set up VERY soft (I don't even feel manhole covers and some potholes), so could this be related?

Temperature - Leaving the dealership in Manhattan, the water temp shot up to 200 almost immediately. It peaked as high as 220 once, but mostly hovered between 190 and 215 until I could get out of the city and onto open roads. How hot is too hot? Is this thing not safe for city driving?

Manuals - Does anyone have an electronic copy of the owner's or preferably the service manual?

1: Sounds like the suspension isn't setup right, or maybe it's just been wheelie-abused. The shop you bought it from should be able to set it up for your weight, but You should at least check that the front suspension settings are "in the middle" somewhere.

2: These bikes run hot. 220 is normal when running around a city in first/second gear with stoplights, etc. It will start blinking when it gets really hot - 124 I think? Just try to keep it in a gear higher than you want to. I know it's fun running around in first @ 8k rpms to hear that exhaust note in the city, but the bike will stay cooler and have plenty of power in second or even third.

3: You can download a pdf manual here:
http://www.buzzwordenabled.com/mv/

Congrats on the new ride!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 12:30 PM

I'm not too sure about the high speed vibirations. My feeling is it may be a tire balance issue. But you should adjust the shock and dampers to a firmer setting. You should feel pot holes

Here's were you can get an online Owner's Manual:
http://www.buzzwordenabled.com/mv/

As for the temps, I think 190 to 215 is common for stop go city driving. The MV does tend to run hot but not as hot as my '04 R1 use to. I don't think you'd have a problem except in cases were the belly pan is too close to the header...but you could probably fix that with spacers and header tape.

Here's more on the temp issue:
http://greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-...?msg_id=008dc8
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 12:40 PM

Temp warning starts blinking at 235 on mine
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-01-2006, 01:39 PM
Administrator

Send a message via Yahoo to alvin
Some manuals in the articles section of this site, too

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode