another potential purchase - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 01:48 PM Thread Starter

another potential purchase

I found an F4 750 at a local dealer by my house. I've been looking for a brutale for a while, but i've always yearned for an F4. The bike is used, is a 2k and has some scratches on the farings, some almost threw one side. It has 3k for miles though. It looks good other than that, it's been lowered too which with my inseam is attractive. They are asking ~10k for it which seems steep for a 2k, but it is an MV and they are hard to find around here.

Let me know what you guys think, and anything specific to look for when I go to see it.

Thanks for the help!!
Ryan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 01:58 PM
Red face

I'm in the UK so I'm not sure on US prices but $10k does sound expensive for a 2000 model in the condition you have described.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But.....a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 02:26 PM

That's not far off for a low miles bike. If there are scratches that happen from riding, you can't avoid those. If there are scratches from a spill, that's a whole different thing. You said scratches almost "threw" which probably means through? That sounds like a tipover or spill. That means the bike is worth less. Maybe $9k.

'01 F4S
post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 02:35 PM
Ambassador / 007

Waiting for new bike

Send a message via Skype™ to pigiolino
....Most impotrtant think is a entire guarantee....
pier

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 04:13 PM

I may have mentioned this in the other thread. In 3/2004, I sold my '02 MV and it had scratches from a tip over at a gas station. At the time '02 MV were easily going for $12 to $13K. I ended up selling mine for $10,000.

HOWEVER, at the time, there were a lot more MV's on the market than there are now (at least three weeks ago when I was looking through Cycletrader). So maybe $9K to $10K is a good price for a 750. Trade-in on a 2000 MV is $7,260 while private sale is $10255.

I'm sure you may have seen this thread but I thought I'd post the link away:
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showth...1&page=1&pp=10
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 05:11 PM
Established Member

I'd personally pass on anything older then 2002.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 05:31 PM Thread Starter

Allan, I read your entire thread last night. Are you happy?

Andy, why pass on 01 and prior? Personal Tastes or issues with the bike??

I plan to keep this for a long time, so I want to make sure that I am making the most out of my money. I think it went down at fairly low speeds, probably sitting on it he let it fall, the tail and everything is fine, not marks anywhere else on the bike that I can see except for the scratches and the outer most point on the fairings.

I apreciate any input on this, I want to make sure I know as much as I can when I go in to look at it, any insider tips would be a great help!!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 07:16 PM

You read my Pro Italia thread last night? All 11 pages?

Actually, YES!!! I'm very happy with the MV. But then again, I haven't gotten the first payment yet! I'm not happy with the loss I took trading i the 999 but the deal wasn't a spontanous decision. Months of consideration, days of sleepless nights. In the end, (after a test ride), I felt it was worth it. Damn, those test rides.

I can see where Andyman is coming from on the pre-2002 issue. 2000 was the first year and back then, there were bugs. But honestly, I think the bugs (stalling/fueling issues) were mostly caused by poor setup or poor CO2 adjustments. Also, the 2002+ models make more power (124hp vs. 137)

In regards to the MV you're looking at. Do you have a chance to ride it? When my 2002 tip over, it not only scratched the mid fairing but it also bent the clip on. So, the handling was alway slightly off. Not obvious that I'd bent the clip on but enough to make me wonder. When I went to sell it, the new owner noticed it right away.

Also, are you okay with the power of the 750? The 750s need to be rev'ed which is the only thing I didn't like about my old MVs -however some people really like that characteristic. The 1000, however, is a different animal. Handling-wise, they're very similar but powerwise....

If you were going to keep it for a long time, I'd also recomemnd a 2002+, an SPR, or if possibe a 2005 1000. I'm not sure what your budget is but there's an new 2003 750 at Renaissance Motorcycle in Tucson, Arizona and a new 2006 F4s will go for $20,000 at several dealerships. Hopefully you can use those as reference points when shopping around. Good luck!
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 07:56 PM Thread Starter

I'm weighing a bunch of diffrent factors right now. I don't think a 1000 will make it into my garage any time soon though. I like the 750 and I think it's a good fit for me at this point, plus i like the finess of a smaller motor. I would like the higher revs as it seems to make my experience on bikes that much more connected.
I have been looking at going the Brutale route for a while now, but always desiring the F4. I didn't think an F4 would really come into my price range with the right mileage for a long term bike. My other big fear is this is not a 1+1 so my fiance has no where to ride with me, i've been trying to get her into the sport for some time and a 1 seater might not be the best solution for us. (but for me......)
I'm going to go look at the bike none the less and see how it feels, if he makes me a great offer I would probably go for it, but I hope if this one passes by I hope I can find another in it's wings that fits everything i need..
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 08-30-2006, 08:13 PM

Remember, time is on your side. When the 1000Rs start to hit show rooms more frequently, it will drive the price of all other MVs down too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode