Riding Position / Physical Challenges - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 02:24 PM Thread Starter

Riding Position / Physical Challenges

I bought my F4 a couple of months ago, and am struggling with some physical limitations I have to ride it longer than an hour or two at a time.
I have a titanium plate and 4 screws in my neck (I had a disc removed-C6/C7 area) that limits my range of movement (imagine looking up) and prevents me from holding my head as far up as it will go for long periods of time. In addition, I have had recent surgery for a motocross injury to my right hand and wrist for torn ligaments. After the pins were removed, I went through a full rehab program to strengthen my hand to its full potential, but it will never be the same. The most recent analysis from the docs is that I have developed progressive arthritis in the thumb and will need to fuse some bones to eliminate constant pain, which I am unwilling to do at this point in my life.

I know I sound like a really old man with these injuries, but I am 44. The problem I have found with myself riding the F4 is that:

1. I live in Los Angeles -- a lot of slow-and-go traffic.
2. During this type of traffic, the riding position (which is currently stock -- the bike has a little over 400 miles on it) forces me to place a lot of pressure on my hand/wrist.
3. Once I get to open road and tuck in at speed, it is difficult to hold my head up

I have watched the threads on various suspension adjustments that can be made on the bike. I feel that if I can just achieve a little more upright riding position, it will be a lot more comfortable for me to ride--- I need to take some weight off of my hand. I am curious if anyone has used the Ferracci bar risers with any success, and what your thoughts were about them. Could they help? Should I consider lowering the rear a bit to help my situation? Am I SOL and should consider a Brutale with a more upright riding style? I don't want to completely compromise the handling, but need to make some adjustments. Where should I start?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 02:42 PM

As much as I love the Senna, I honestly think you will get more joy out of a Brutale, and Don't think the Brutale is a slouch in the performance department.
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 02:48 PM
Pimp of posts

Send a message via AIM to spalding12 Send a message via MSN to spalding12 Send a message via Yahoo to spalding12
i agree... with your past medical history... riding the F4 is NOT in YOUR best interest.
The Brutale would be FAR better..... but, it might not end up making you comfortable in the long run, either

speak to your neurosurgeon about the situation... you don't want to have a few minutes of pleasure followed by a lifetime of pain and suffering.... and we wouldn't want that for you, either

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Greg
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 Brutale 910R
'07 BMW K1200GT

live like you mean it...
but take your family and friends along for the "ride"
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 03:06 PM
Established Member

What Greg says,

You can improve your riding position but wether you do yourself a favour overall, I don't know.

Anyway I have the risers on my 916 and they make a big difference. My wrists and back started hurting after 1 hour with the stock clip ons. With the risers I can ride it for 3 hours without problems.
Another possibility is to lower the rear and lift the front to get the bike more leveled. Unfortunately this is going to effect the handling.
Installing a gel pad in the seat might also be a good idea.

Maybe a Brutale would be a better choice in your situation.

Peter

1996 Ducati 916 SPA (955)
2005 MV Agusta Brutale S
2006 DUCATI 749R
2002 Harley Davidson Heritage Springer FLSTS
2006 Harley Davidson Softail Deluxe FLSTN
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 03:08 PM Thread Starter

I appreciate your thoughts. I now know why people stay in abusive relationships.
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 03:23 PM
Established Member

Hw about this>>?
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 03:29 PM
Pimp of posts

Send a message via AIM to spalding12 Send a message via MSN to spalding12 Send a message via Yahoo to spalding12
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRand
I appreciate your thoughts. I now know why people stay in abusive relationships.
well put...
i rode my brutale 360 miles, the day after i took it home...
i love the bike intensely... but, my butt wasn't ready for that after 10 yeares and 150,000 miles on BMW touring bikes

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Greg
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 Brutale 910R
'07 BMW K1200GT

live like you mean it...
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 03:29 PM
Pimp of posts

oh,
and i'll be riding 500 miles this coming saturday, IF Hurricane Ernesto treats us well right now he's scheduled to hit my house... no kidding)

Greg
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 Brutale 910R
'07 BMW K1200GT

live like you mean it...
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 03:30 PM
Pimp of posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col3man
Hw about this>>?
that trike is freaking cool

Greg
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 Brutale 910R
'07 BMW K1200GT

live like you mean it...
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-27-2006, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazer6
As much as I love the Senna, I honestly think you will get more joy out of a Brutale, and Don't think the Brutale is a slouch in the performance department.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode