Argh!!! Now I've got a battery leak!! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 02:25 PM Thread Starter

Argh!!! Now I've got a battery leak!!

I'm really beginning to hate my F4.
I got home today to find the new battery I'd fitted only a week ago had leaked all over the swingarm, shock and linkages.

The battery was a MF YTZ10S. Any chance I've been sold the wrong one? Is anybody liable in a situation like this or is it always tough shit?

Si
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 02:27 PM

Send a message via AIM to Amer Send a message via Yahoo to Amer
Sorry to hear....More info on the battery models here:

http://mvfaq.blogspot.com/2005/08/ba...ernatives.html
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 02:36 PM

wrong battery me thinks...I looked up the yuasa website and they recommended the 12amp version because the 10amp would need some sort of special adapter or fitting
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

Hmm. A common problem then. I did charge it for a good 24 hours before it was fitted, but never left it to stand on it's side. (And the dealer made no mention of this.)

Anyone know of any way to restore the finish on the swingarm? Is there a paint code I can touch up over the whitened areas with?

The inside of my bellypan is also wrecked. It'd started eating through the plastic. (By the way, all this happened with an hour and 50 miles!)

Looks like the shock is in a bad way. Anyone got any prices on replacements?

Si
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by outtadaloop
wrong battery me thinks...I looked up the yuasa website and they recommended the 12amp version because the 10amp would need some sort of special adapter or fitting
Interesting. Have you got a link to that?
If it's the wrong battery I'm coming down hard on the dealer.

Si
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 02:51 PM

I couldnt paste the link but if you go to yuasa's website and look up the battery type for your bike, it will clearly tell you in red about the required spacer.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 03:12 PM Thread Starter

Ok, I got it now. I was looking at the Yuasa Europe site, and they don't seem to list an motorcycles at all.

It does indeed suggest that the YTZ10S may leak if the bike's not had a factory upgrade. I shall be paying my dealer a visit tomorrow!!

Si
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCatWhisperer
I'm really beginning to hate my F4.
I got home today to find the new battery I'd fitted only a week ago had leaked all over the swingarm, shock and linkages.

The battery was a MF YTZ10S. Any chance I've been sold the wrong one? Is anybody liable in a situation like this or is it always tough shit?

Si
Bollocks, it makes a right mess, early F4's had a habit of doing this, later one's have a factory sealed Yuasa battery, I think that is the way to go, also Frosts classic car restoration supplies, sell a "battery mat" just cut and sit the battery in this, it's supposed to neutralise the acid if the battery leaks
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 04:29 PM

(Deja vu, deja vu)

I bought my '01 in early '02, so it had been sitting a while. It had a dying battery.

The dealer put in an Exide 2 weeks after I first got it, and it promptly did the same thing, although I caught it and cleaned it up before it got THAT bad. Holy cow.

Damage including labor was something like $6000. I did the legwork and got a settlement out of Exide for $3500.

I felt bad to pressure my dealer over it, but he did put the battery in. He started the ball rolling with Exide and I sort of picked it up for him. My bike sat idle for about 3 months and it was killing me.

My intentions were only to get back on the bike and ride it, and I think this is what worked. I wasn't out for blood, just to get riding again.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 04:43 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Damage including labor was something like $6000
?????!!!!!
Really? I can't imagine my damage being anything like that high. Apart from the shock, which I fear has had the chrome stripped from the push rod, everything else is cosmetic. I'm unable to get a look at the bottom of the shock as it's hidden within the swingarm, so I'm hoping the linkages there are ok. The top linkages have a little bit of surface decolouration but nothing that wouldn't polish out.

I don't know what the price of a swingarm is, but if I wanted to replace all the damaged stuff with new it'd be new bellypan (guess at 500?), new shock (650 Ohlins), new swingarm (god knows, but 750 is perhaps the ballpark..) everything else is (hopefully) solved with elbow grease.

I may be on weaker ground than you since I fitted the battery myself. I imagine the dealer or Yuasa's defence would be that they can't guarantee that either a) the bike is running and charging correctly, or b) that the correct battery preparation was performed.

My guess is I'm stuffed for comeback, but I'll have a go at the dealer anyhow. I do consider them responsible, whether they're able to weedle out of it or not.

Si

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode