F4 Rear brake question - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via MSN to brianhevans
F4 Rear brake question

First off, I know how bad the rear brakes on the MV are! Years ago, before I knew better I once tried to adjust my rear brake pedal and add some more tension and this caused the rotor and caliper to catch fire! Anyway, I have noticed the Veltro Pista and that bike has the brembo floating rear rotor and four piston caliper from brembo racing. Does the stock rear caliper bracket work or is this a custom application? Does anyone know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-23-2006, 10:47 PM

I wasn't aware anyone actually uses the rear brake

No idea about that different setup, but I'm wondering if spending money on the rear brake is money well spent?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acruhl
I wasn't aware anyone actually uses the rear brake

I use mine when rolling to a stop at the lights or a side street.

I agree that unless you are racing at a high level there is no real value for money going for that rear brake set-up.
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 12:54 AM
Established Member

My rear brake hasn't worked in a very long time. At every service I ask for a fix. Fine for a couple of hundred kms, then nothing again. Miss it sometimes - just to get a little settled in the tight stuff.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 02:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke
My rear brake hasn't worked in a very long time. At every service I ask for a fix. Fine for a couple of hundred kms, then nothing again. Miss it sometimes - just to get a little settled in the tight stuff.
Exactly the same here..get it re-bled every time it goes in for a service, and I have a rear brake again for 200km or so..........then it goes again.

I miss it inthe city...sitting at lights on a hill, that type of thing..........but when im at the track, or riding hard, I dont touch it
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 09:16 AM

granted, i don't use it hardly, but i hate pressing it for whatever reason and it doesn't work. the first thing i think of is "i JUST bled it!" once the heat from the pipe gets to it, it just boils it to zero worth.

i think the only true solution for this is to relocate the reservoir. apparently MV does too as they modified it on the 1000. i'm going to move mine to the rear subframe like in the faq. i'm tired of bleeding it and burning all my fluid up.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 09:26 AM

Same here, I've bled it more than a few times. I always push a lot of air out, so it's boiling I guess. Works great for 50 miles or so, then it doesn't work again.

When Joerg Teuchert was racing an MV, his bike had the rear brake master cylinder AND reservoir mounted on the rearset. if I remember correct. Kind of like the R1 or something. That would probably work.

I even wrapped my pipe in thermal wrap near the master cylinder, didn't help any.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 09:35 AM

Interesting!

I don't know if this is right, but I do use my rear brake thoughout the corner(carefully) and always with an open throttle! It scrubs off just a tad of speed if need be and because the throttle is open, the chassis is never upset and my line just tightens up!

I feel in complete control when doing so, and the more you do it, the more normal it feels! I use my front brake tons more of course, but the rear brake comes in handy for me.

Never crashed doin' it(knock on wood), but I am very precise with the rear brake.

Maybe this is a complete no-no but it works for me.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 09:57 AM

The rear brake on the Brutale has been great. I use it for entertainment purposes. Mostly skidding to a stop crossed up or the occasional 180 like you used to do when you're a kid on a bike. With over 4K it's about ready for a blead but has been working great. Did I mention the Brutale is a fun bike.

Jack
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 10:02 AM
Smile

I agree with Vlad; after years of never using the rear brake on any of my bikes, I found myself going into corners quicker than I had been used to going on both of my Buells and both of my MV's so I have started using the back brake now. Just a little bit, trailing into fast corners, but once I start to tuck into a line that's it, the foot comes off the brake pedal. I also use it when stopped at traffic lights on a uphill incline, but strangely never on a downhill one. I alway hold the bike on the front brake in those situations.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But.....a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode