800 triple? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 05:17 AM Thread Starter

800 triple?

in mcn today it reports that mv have a 800 triple , 95% ready for production!!! i thought it would be a 675!

i cant see the point of a 800 triple, it has no class to compete in has such and deffo cant be raced, who would be interested in this?

maybe to compete against the ageing 750 suzuki?

i think it would make a good road bike, a gruntier version of my 675 triump would be excellent, but its only 200 cc behind its flagship, so i dont see it.

maybe mcn have cocked up and it really is a 675 , i think it is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilboy View Post
in mcn today it reports that mv have a 800 triple , 95% ready for production!!! i thought it would be a 675!

i cant see the point of a 800 triple, it has no class to compete in has such and deffo cant be raced, who would be interested in this?

i think it would make a good road bike, a gruntier version of my 675 triump would be excellent, but its only 200 cc behind its flagship, so i dont see it.

Ducati 848 is out on its own too and can't be raced, yet they sell a lot of them. Plus it's a bundle of fun to ride.

Sounds like they maybe building an 848 slayer ?

VELOCEMOTO HD The Art of Italian Sportbikes on film.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 05:58 AM
Established Member

Quote:

An 800 triple would be bang on . I find the 675 just very slightly lacking[ & I mean slightly] .The 800 would be an ideal bike for 99% of people as the 1000"s nowadays are just unrideable penis extensions. The japs have lost there way & should be creating direct injection 2 strokes & triples etc instead of chasing big power 1000"s for novices to kill themselves. Please please bring back the fun bikes.[& sales will follow!].Remember the choice in the 80"s. This could be MV"s cherry on top.

I know people on these forums are all expert riders who need 300bhp to straight line it everywhere will say 800cc is too small, tell Jamie Whitam who said to me if you or anyone else get pass me today at Donnington gp circuit I will give you a free pass to a trackday. He was on a bog standard R6 with shit standard dunlops & no body passed him all day! Many many 1000"s were dispatched with there slicks & expert riders. Love it.
post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 07:20 AM

Maybe the 675 is a little lacking in power/uesability? hence the 800cc? like the 848 it would have no direct competition, maybe thats:
A) A good thing? at least it could never come last in a group test? will
never be 'last years bike' and therefore should have a
long life.
B) A bad thing because there is nothing to compare it to. no where to
race it, does that really matter?

IMHO the most 'user friendly' bikes I ever owned for engine useability were the handfull of Ducati monsters I had, all large capacity and all very friendly.

As a couple of eg's of modern bikes being not so user friendly:

My R1 does 109mph in first, I could go to prison for only ever using 1st gear!!!!!!!

The new BMW 1000RR boasts 192bhp..........smashing, the bit they forgot to add in the small print is, only available in 4th gear upwards at speeds in excess of 145mph

(This reply has not been checked for punctuation, grammar, or spelling mistakes and is devoid of any big long cleverwords or condescending manner)

MV's all gone now, still have a soft spot for MV's, waiting for MV to tick all my boxes again.
Previously (and about 40 others)748SP, S4, S4R, 98R1, 2000 F4, F41000S, F41000R, 08R1, 09R1, S1000RR, RSV4 Factory aPRC in Garage now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungle View Post
I know people on these forums are all expert riders who need 300bhp to straight line it everywhere will say 800cc is too small, tell Jamie Whitam who said to me if you or anyone else get pass me today at Donnington gp circuit I will give you a free pass to a trackday. He was on a bog standard R6 with shit standard dunlops & no body passed him all day! Many many 1000"s were dispatched with there slicks & expert riders. Love it.
Thats not really a 'road comparrison' an R6 on the track is quite a weapon, more so with mr Whittam on board and even more so if you stuck Crutchlow on it on the road where you need the power a little more attainable, a 1000cc is the better bike for most people and I guess for most people if the 1000cc sportsbike had the rev limiter reduced to 10,000rpm a lot would never notice

But I do know where your coming from

(This reply has not been checked for punctuation, grammar, or spelling mistakes and is devoid of any big long cleverwords or condescending manner)

MV's all gone now, still have a soft spot for MV's, waiting for MV to tick all my boxes again.
Previously (and about 40 others)748SP, S4, S4R, 98R1, 2000 F4, F41000S, F41000R, 08R1, 09R1, S1000RR, RSV4 Factory aPRC in Garage now
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 10:43 AM

Send a message via MSN to machine748s
Quote:
An 800 triple would be bang on . I find the 675 just very slightly lacking[ & I mean slightly] .The 800 would be an ideal bike for 99% of people as the 1000"s nowadays are just unrideable penis extensions. The japs have lost there way & should be creating direct injection 2 strokes & triples etc instead of chasing big power 1000"s for novices to kill themselves. Please please bring back the fun bikes.[& sales will follow!].Remember the choice in the 80"s. This could be MV"s cherry on top.

Want an F4 fun to ride? Don't need to wait for a 800cc F3, buy an 750 SR/SPR F4
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 11:02 AM

New mini MV Agusta stalled
By James Sharpe - New bikes 23 February 2010 12:22
MV Agusta’s much anticipated new mid-capacity supersport machine has been delayed due to the company’s imminent sale by Harley-Davidson.

The “95% finished” inline three-cylinder 800cc sports bike is, according to eye-witnesses, the most startling MV in recent years and can lap a track just a second off the current 1000cc F4.

An insider told MCN: “The bike started off as a 675cc but the capacity has now grown to somewhere between 750cc and 800cc. Prototypes have been testing on the road and the track.”

Now, however, development has slowed until new investment can be found. MCN was told: “This bike was due to go on sale at the end of 2010 or beginning of 2011 thanks to a lot of Harley-Davidson investment following the takeover of MV Agusta in 2008.

"Now development has slowed down because there is no more money to spend until a new buyer can be found.”

Pictures of the bike were grabbed by MCN at the end of last year but little was known until our investigation revealed some tantalising details.

post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 11:32 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by machine748s View Post
Want an F4 fun to ride? Don't need to wait for a 800cc F3, buy an 750 SR/SPR F4

I have a 750 Mv and I think it is the only recent 4 cyl with some personality & loveable rough edges. That is why I have kept it for 6yrs!

Every year I test ride new bikes & yes they are fast as..... but dont offer a fun riding experience like my Suzuki RG500 or my old Ducati twin.

I Guess I am just bored with seemless over powered bikes with no personality. The japs just keep producing bikes which look good on a packet of top trumps!

Remember the 350lc twisting its forks on the brakes or the first Gixxer 750 with bendy wheels & swingarm, brilliant fun.

Lets hope MV have left some italian in the new 800 if it makes it to production.
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 12:41 PM

Send a message via AIM to Spartukus Send a message via Skype™ to Spartukus
Quote:
well there are people racing 848 in club racing. The 848 races in the AMA as well.
Quote:
I know people on these forums are all expert riders who need 300bhp to straight line it everywhere will say 800cc is too small,
That's right!!

Don't make excuses, Make it happen

05 F4
07 SENNA (261/300)
13 F3

04 Ducati 749s (Track Project)
06 CBR600RR (Track Project II)
08 Aprilia RSV (Rest In Pieces)
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 02-24-2010, 01:14 PM

I think the motorcycle world runs on profits more than racing. That said, wouldn't a 800cc triple be close to the F4's power levels and maybe canabalize some F4 sales?

On the bright side, the Triple is 95% done so once a buyer if found, they're not too far from production. 95% done probably means it just needs a little more testing and tool. Pretty good incentive for a potential investor - two new products heading to market and a third near completion.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode