Water pump leakage- findings - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Water pump leakage- findings

Just to add my experience on the subject and after reading many threads and the FAQ section, here is my experience maybe to help people who still have the problem despite actions.

History
Problem of leaking coolant appeared at 4,500 kms (now 8,500kms)
I wrongly filled up tank (above max mark) with coolant and maybe pressure let to leakage through the pump.
I replaced with engine Ice (and put new impeller) but still leaking (bottom screw of the waterpump). Level was kept from thereon well below MIN mark but with no result.
The excess tube was always dry so it was not from expansion of liquid.

I changed the rotor shaft, its washer (and outside rubber ring of the pump) after I read the FAQ.
Findings:
- The rotor shaft inside (which as per FAQ was changed from previous models as well as the washer) was 'rubbed' at some places while rotating and as a result the washer did not fit tight at that area (liquid logically could pass through). Pictures attached show shiny 'rings'.
- The pump's bottom screw's washer has rubber inside (?) instead of full metal (which eased the leaking of the liquid).

Whether the 2 parts above are solely to blame for the leakage or its another part to blame, I am not 100% sure. I hope not as this would mean that I ll have to change the rotor shaft every ..3-4000 kms.
In any case the last 300kms have been trouble free...

Hope this helps
P.
Attached Images

Last edited by PP1098; 01-28-2010 at 11:49 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 11:13 AM

Thanks for keeping us posted !
Is this a 1078 model issue only ?

Yves
Fort Worth, TX
Bend, OR

2010 Ducati 1198R Corse LE
2008 MV F4 312R (RG3, X-Bikes ECU,...)
2005 Ducati 999S
2004 Ducati 998S Final Edition
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 11:32 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yves View Post
Thanks for keeping us posted !
Is this a 1078 model issue only ?
Dont think so. This rotor shaft is used in latest years' models. Not sure about Bruts but F4s definetely..
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 10:37 AM

Hi mine has 1400 miles and I took it in for the same problem, I worked at a radiator shop at on time and could see the leak comming from the water pump housing. They told me the seal was bad and that I'm not the first one. We'll see.

James M.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-09-2010, 10:45 PM

Same on mine but I had the seal on the inside give and leak oil from the weep hole. When I took all the parts into a MV dealer and had ordered a shaft and seals. They told me the problem comes from the rub rings. They sanded down the entire shaft not smooth but enough to give it a shiny appearance. And said they have found that the seals bond better to the shaft. And have never had problems with anything leaking. For me It was winter when I had all this done and the bike apart. When I get home I have parts still to put on so I have not fired it up since the pump was put back together. I have not done the upgrade going to try and get my warrantied like the Australian guys seem to be doing. They put the shaft in a drill and spun it as they sanded it down a couple of strokes on it. Not sand paper but emory cloth.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode