rear spring preload- help - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 02:52 PM Thread Starter

rear spring preload- help

greetings to all

bike always felt very stiff and spent the whole afternoon to soften it up.
problem> rear spring preload nut does not have a start/ stop position. i turned both clockwise and counter and kept going and going with no end as if nut is ..loose. is that right? i was careful not to overpress it while turning.
manual says std setting as 0 turns (from full out) by the way which i found strange also (why 0?). rear compression (high ,low speed) not touched, rebound from 11 clicks to 13 out

by the way info on front suspension
preload from 4 turns out to 3 in
rebound from 10 clicks to 13 out
compression ditto
and bike is much softer now

appreciate comments pls on rear preload

thanks
p

Last edited by PP1098; 01-27-2010 at 03:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 04:52 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to The_castle
O.K
When I get home I'll have a look at the standard Sachs shock and work out what you're referring to.
From memory you will only adjust 12 to 18 mm using hydraulic preload adjusters. They are there for fine settings, the ring collar can be adjusted up or down the spring to get you into the general area where the hydraulic adjuster can be used. I'll take some pictures to help with my explanation, maybe ask Scooter to help.
In summary, I don't think it's a case of the nut being loose or any problem with the shock, you've just come to the end of the of the hydraulic adjusters span.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 07:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Castle

Attached the page from the manual showing std settings and nut in question (Spring preload)

Rgds
Attached Files
File Type: doc spring preload rear.doc (474.5 KB, 123 views)
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-28-2010, 01:57 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to The_castle
The 312R seems to have the same shock as the 312RR. When I looked at the Sachs unit I could instantly see that it was unlike the Ohlins units in that the Sachs shock seems to have no way of adjusting the "ring collar" I refer to in my first post. I may be wrong. All of the preload asjustment seems to be in the hydraulic system. If you are unable to get the static sag / rider sag and softer (less harsh) feel you waant may I suggest you turn the hydraulic preload adjuster back to where it's moving the preload system. Bring any tools you require to adjust the shock with you and take a ride through some familiar roads and try some different settings. Personally I set my high speed compression damping on the firm side (seven out of eight). Low speed damping is in the middle (four out of eight). Rebound damping, where less is more, I like about two or three out of eight. Just some suggestions there....
If you can't find the solution with the standard Sachs unit, which is built to a budget, it may be best to consider an after market shock.
Good luck.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode