Need help to remove water pump impeller - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 06:43 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Need help to remove water pump impeller

Hi guys,

Somebody can explain how to remove the impeller from the shaft. It looks like i have a leak from the seal behind and water is coming out from the tell-tale hole (as per photo).

I am also looking at the option to change to an upgraded water pump.
http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24942
Where can i find it ?

Thanks

Michel
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 06:46 AM

put the impeller in a vice, don't use super man strength and crush it, just secure it, then put a screwdriver in the slot on the back of it and turn, if memory serves correctly its reverse thread.

I believe she is the Devil in a candy wrapper.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 10:27 AM

There is a link on here somewhere to a video showing how to upgrade to the new impeller...
Did a search against impeller in maintenance section but didn't find the one I was thinking of... Video shows machining of new type of impeller and complete fitting procedure..
Found this tho http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showth...light=impeller
or this http://www.mvagusta.net/forum/showth...mpeller&page=5 - seems not reverse thread tho

Last edited by Totale; 01-26-2010 at 10:45 AM.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 04:20 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
have the impeller in my hand....normal right hand threads

Noel-theknurl

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Skype; theknurl
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 04:56 PM

OK, I just performed it this weekend, so here we go :
- it is normal right hand thread.
- the 'how to video' is on the Vesuvio website. However, I never watched it.
- I also had issues taking off the impeller. As described above, I stuck a screwdriver in the slot on the back of the shaft. Stuck a vice grip on one of the blades of the impeller (as close to the center as possible) and was able to unscrew it that way.
- for your issue you may have to remove the shaft from the housing. The shop manual indicates you will have to heat up the entire unit before being able to do so.
- Lots of people sell the impeller. Please make sure they have it in stock before you order it. I was unfortunate enough to order mine from Fast By Ferracci and ended up waiting 2 (!) months before they ever were able to complete my order. A lot of vendors seem to have this issue where they tell you they have something in stock when you wave a credit card at them, but end up running out of stock immediately after you place the order

Good luck !

Yves
Fort Worth, TX
Bend, OR

2010 Ducati 1198R Corse LE
2008 MV F4 312R (RG3, X-Bikes ECU,...)
2005 Ducati 999S
2004 Ducati 998S Final Edition
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Thanks to you all for your advise. I will overall my water pump and I also order the upgraded one.
Regards
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 12:07 PM

Not sure how to remove it etc. as getting my mechanic to fit it-

However the improved mod's are as below, these are genuine MV part codes.

Good luck....
Attached Images

"The first rule of Italian driving: Whats behind me is not important" 'The Gumball Rally' 1976
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 12:16 PM

you dont have to heat it at all. on the backside is a C clip just remove it with C clip pliers or I used a Scribe pointy part in part of the clip and just pryed it out. once that is out and the impellar is off. you can put use a dead blow hammer and tap on the shaft tilll it comes out the back (motorside) of pump. then get a socket and extension that is big enough to cover the bearings but small enough to fit through the main hole. Hammer the socket will push the bearings out the back.

Hard part is getting the seal that is directly behind the impellar out that one of mine took some time since it was pretty muched sealed in.

But your problem if you have water or coolant is only the seal directly behind the impellar. water from the weep hole is antifreeze side so replace the 1st seal if it was oil then there is a seal that is directly behind the hole on the inside that the shaft runs through not the outer seal you can see. I will attach a sheet that has the part broke down.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-27-2010, 12:20 PM

here is the breakdown. Your only problem is #19 so the only thing you need to do is take the impellar off and scratch that seal off. if you had oil coming from the weep hole then your seal problem is #3 wich sits inside the housing just before the weep hole coming from the motor or #8 which is the seal that is on the outside of the housing and the weep hole is next to. in which you would have to hammer out your shaft and bearings and should replace everything.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Document.pdf (137.5 KB, 135 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode