Thanks Pro Italia but I think I'm too short for an MV!!! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 106 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 08:23 PM Thread Starter

Many thanks to Pro Italia. But I think I'm too short for an MV!!!

Well, I have the night to think about it. But I came so close to driving home with an F41000 today. Despite problems with trade-in, financing, and the wife, by 3:00 p.m. we came to a point were the bike was lowered for me and we could start the paper work.

The only problem is the MV was still way too talk. I could not even get the tips of my toes on the ground. Well, barely. It was too the point were I was fighting the Spidi Vertebrae to get flex enough to touch the ground. I think it was obvious to alot of other customers that it wasn't going to work. Samson was also concerned about sending me out. I tried a 1+1 and it was marginally better.

All the service techs, sales and part reps did everything they could to lower the bike. We finally resorted to swaping out the wheel from a 190/70 to a 190/55. It worked barely. With that modification, I can get most of the ball of my left foot on the ground -or I can get both tips on my toes of both feet. So, I need to decide if I'm going to pull the trigger. The big issue is that I'm not sure if I can handle the higher seat high ALL THE TIME. 90% of the time, I'll probably be fine. But if the other 10% is unexcepted (sudden stops on an incline or sudden drop in street level), I'll drop the bike.

Just a little background, I'm 5 feet and 5 inches. I've had two MV (both 750s) in the past. Yes, they were tall but no where near as tall as the 1000. And I was use to work it with only one foot but I had more foot touching the ground. Also, I can get both balls of my foot on the 999 and have much more confidence at slow speeds.

Lastly, there's the issue of my 999. I'd loose too much to trade it in. So, I'd have to sell it for at least $13 or $14 not to take a major hit. Pay off is around $16K. At the end, I decided to just get both bikes. It's a strain on the budget and my wife is not happy about that idea either.

So, I think I may be out. But I'm really greatful to Samson, Bill, and all the service and parts professionals who really, really, really went out of their way to help me with the deal.

I told Samson I'd like the night to think about it but with the financial and physical issues, I think I may be out. I think I can handle the seat height and extra mouth to feed, but I'm certainly not going to be comfortable with it.

Here's a picture of sales, service, and parts guys trying to see if the lower sized tire will work:
Attached Images

Last edited by Allan Gibbs; 08-19-2006 at 10:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 106 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 08:28 PM
Pimp of posts

Send a message via AIM to spalding12 Send a message via MSN to spalding12 Send a message via Yahoo to spalding12
how tall are you, by the way....
and what is your inseam?

there is NO reason to put BOTH feet on the ground when stopped
i only put my left foot down/and shift my body to the left, leaving my right foot on the rear brake pedal....

at 5'6".... and after 150,000 miles of riding over the years.... i've had to adapt
you can, too

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Greg
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 Brutale 910R
'07 BMW K1200GT

live like you mean it...
but take your family and friends along for the "ride"
post #3 of 106 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

And for those not vertically chanlleged, mounting and straighting a bike with a seat height that's longer than your inseam is like that old game of trust. Lean back and trust someone will catch you. But here, it's like lift the bike and trust that your foot will touch the ground before the bike does.

It's tough to be short. I'm 5'5". My inseam is 30. If I remeber correctly, the 750 was 31.5 inches while the 1000 is 32 inches.
post #4 of 106 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 08:29 PM
Pimp of posts

Send a message via AIM to spalding12 Send a message via MSN to spalding12 Send a message via Yahoo to spalding12
but, HOW short?

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Greg
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 Brutale 910R
'07 BMW K1200GT

live like you mean it...
post #5 of 106 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spalding12
how tall are you, by the way....
and what is your inseam?

there is NO reason to put BOTH feet on the ground when stopped
i only put my left foot down/and shift my body to the left, leaving my right foot on the rear brake pedal....

at 5'6".... and after 150,000 miles of riding over the years.... i've had to adapt
you can, too
I've adapted too. On the 999, I sit slightly off center to the left. From the MSF classes way back in '87, I've learned to always keep my right foot on the rear brake so that one foot driving is normal for me - a pain in stop go traffic but it's possible.

It's just that first setting on the MV, I would be able to support the bike with one foot just using my toes. Think of a ballerina. With the new tires, I have some ball of my foot touching the ground but it's no wear near as much as my old 750 MV.
post #6 of 106 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 08:44 PM
Established Member

Send a message via MSN to Notto
That would really suck if this prevents you from getting the bike
post #7 of 106 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 08:54 PM
Pimp of posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Gibbs
I've adapted too. On the 999, I sit slightly off center to the left. From the MSF classes way back in '87, I've learned to always keep my right foot on the rear brake so that one foot driving is normal for me - a pain in stop go traffic but it's possible.

It's just that first setting on the MV, I would be able to support the bike with one foot just using my toes. Think of a ballerina. With the new tires, I have some ball of my foot touching the ground but it's no wear near as much as my old 750 MV.
well, the ONLY thing that matters is how comfortable YOU are on the bike....
if you have no confidence in keeping it upright... you'll most certainly never enjoy riding it

there are many other bikes out there.... don't be discouraged

Greg
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 Brutale 910R
'07 BMW K1200GT

live like you mean it...
post #8 of 106 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by spalding12
well, the ONLY thing that matters is how comfortable YOU are on the bike....
if you have no confidence in keeping it upright... you'll most certainly never enjoy riding it

there are many other bikes out there.... don't be discouraged
Greg, you mentioned you were 5' 6" I think that one inch would make the world of difference. I barely make it at 5'5" and 1/2 and inch more would do it for me. Pro Italia and I left of at that gray zone were it's doable...probably. But your right. The height issue would always make me feel uncomfortable if I'm not moving on the freeway. Oh, canyons! If the pavements is slightly sloped, I'm going to have trouble. U turns - forget it. I need to walk the bike around. I can left ball (of foot it) but I'll be struggling if weight shifts to the right.

It's really strange that I'm having problems with the F41000 because I had two 750s before and it wasn't an issue. Argh!!

And the truth is, there's absolutely nothing wrong my with 999. It's only a year and 5,000 miles old. sigh.
post #9 of 106 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 09:50 PM
Pimp of posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Gibbs
Greg, you mentioned you were 5' 6" I think that one inch would make the world of difference. I barely make it at 5'5" and 1/2 and inch more would do it for me. Pro Italia and I left of at that gray zone were it's doable...probably. But your right. The height issue would always make me feel uncomfortable if I'm not moving on the freeway. Oh, canyons! If the pavements is slightly sloped, I'm going to have trouble. U turns - forget it. I need to walk the bike around. I can left ball (of foot it) but I'll be struggling if weight shifts to the right.

It's really strange that I'm having problems with the F41000 because I had two 750s before and it wasn't an issue. Argh!!

And the truth is, there's absolutely nothing wrong my with 999. It's only a year and 5,000 miles old. sigh.
don't feel pressure to change bikes...
make the right decision for YOU... that's all that matters

Greg
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 Brutale 910R
'07 BMW K1200GT

live like you mean it...
post #10 of 106 (permalink) Old 08-19-2006, 10:04 PM Thread Starter

wow. This is how close it is. MV's sites say the 750 is 31.1 inches while the 1000 is 31.87 inches. That's a difference of .77.

I jokingly told Bill Nation, "I thought Italians were usually short." He said it's a trend.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode