Coolantt replacement - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 12:02 PM Thread Starter

Coolantt replacement

People,

I need to replace the coolant on my F4 2000 model.

My local dealer suggested that if I use the coolant drain plug then there will still be a substantial quantity of coolant in the rads.

Can anyone please suggest how I can replace the coolant including that in the rads?

If for example I remove a hose off one of the rads for example hose and let the system drain, will coolant be retained in the rads due to a potential air lock etc??

Cheers

Sub

When my Dad and I first laid our eyes on an MV Agusta at the UK launch, we were simply blown away.................
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 12:18 PM

Yeah in my coolant switching experience...I went with water wetter. What we did was get 5-6 gallons of distilled water. I used the first gallon to flush the system and then the next gallon I mixed it with a bit of vinegar and let the bike run for a bit and then drain all that out. Flush it again with distilled water until there was no trace of the vinegar left (you can smell it and see the color of the liquid as well). Finally when I was completely satisfied with multiple flushes. I mixed the water wetter in with a fresh batch of distilled water and voila it was done.

Your dealer is right there will be a bunch left in the radiator if you just use the drain plug. Basically after draining, keep the plug open and pour in distilled water from one end and let the water drain out with all the remaining coolant. Pour one end and it comes out the other. Sorry for my rather sucky description but I hope at least it helps in the least bit!

2007 Senna #148/300
2012 Aprilia RSV4 Factory APRC
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 01:51 PM

I just performed the impeller upgrade + Muzzy fans.
Took the entire radiator unit off.
As far as being able to doing decent job and getting every last drip of coolant out of there, this may be your best solution. I went the "engine ice" route.

Yves
Fort Worth, TX
Bend, OR

2010 Ducati 1198R Corse LE
2008 MV F4 312R (RG3, X-Bikes ECU,...)
2005 Ducati 999S
2004 Ducati 998S Final Edition
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 05:18 PM
Established Member

I also went with the engine ice, impeller, and fan upgrade. Unfortunatly I havent been able to get my bike above 160 degrees F because its wet and winter so... I also have a MV Corse ECU and de-catted mid pipe which are supposed to help run cooler as well. We will see once it warms up.

Happiness is a belt fed weapon in a target rich enviroment!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 MV F4 1000R, 02 Ducati 998, 04 GSXR 1k Race bike, 97 KDX 220SR dirt bike, 05 Suzuki LTR450 quad
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 05:55 PM

the most important thing for an effective coolant change is proper bleeding
this is the part that takes a long time, but if not done you will have abnormal heat issues

Italian outfit, Rubber, heat, grunting, and you fill the open hole for more?? What's not to love??
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-24-2010, 06:53 PM

The drain plug works fine as long as you flush properly, at least 3 times is best.

B4 750S [sold]
B3 675R [waiting]
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 07:46 AM
lee

After you use the drain plug route disconnect the two lower rad hoses and let the rest of the trapped fluid run out. There's alot still left in there. If you have a vacuum pump suck the coolant out of the left lower rad pipe. If you really want to be anal take the lower rad off and dump what's left in there out. Then go about flushing.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-25-2010, 11:41 AM
MV1

With the cars I use to just install a running garden hose into the inlet at the top of the radiator and just run the bike with the water hose in place and the lower plug removed for a awhile, while the engine ran and until I was satified the system had cleared.
This usually works best in that your are fushing it at temp with the thermostat (if any) open to the system. Just mind the temp on the gauge and shut it down if and when it starts to rise past normal operating temp.
Once your done with this and a typical chemical flush you'll be sure you flush ever trace of old coolant out clear.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 07:12 AM
Established Member

Where is the drain plug for the coolant?

93 ZXR 400, 98 ZX6R, 96 ZXR 400, 97 748 BIP, 00 R1, 00 DRZ 400, 02 Hayabusa, 05 GSXR 1000, 06 GSXR 1000, 08 GSXR 1000, 06 Fireblade, 10 Sprint ST, 08 R1, 97 Fireblade (All sold!).

Current bikes
09 F4 1000R 312
97 916 Senna II
93 ZXR 750 L1
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-07-2012, 09:46 AM

New Site Garage
Realy

Quote:
Originally Posted by taffysim View Post
Where is the drain plug for the coolant?
Have you had a look through the manual ? http://my.agusta.us/

Anyway, I never used to bother disconnecting all the pipes, just re-fill the system a few times with new stuff after draining it, far less hassle.
Attached Images

Dons Nel
Own - Two F4 1000R's 06 and 07.
PayPal :

eMial:

Mobile in Australia: 0438 385 776
Website with MV Manuals for Most models -

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode