fan control unit - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 09:55 PM Thread Starter

fan control unit

just a though
follow me if you would
I noticed that when my bike does get too hot or overheats, that if the fans kick in they knick the temp. down only to have the bike heat up again and reapet the cycle of near nuclear meltdown 100 time over. Too me it seems by the time the fans come on, the bike has already commited towards a 'thermal run away' ( I am using that term loosley and not in its technical sense just to get my thought across). It would be like leaving the gate to an animal pen open and then waiting for them to charge the opening before you went to try to get them back in, and then sitting back to let it happen again and again.

I was wondering the following:
1. do my fans come on in time to prevent the all ready fowarding charge to 'flashing light' melt down? Wouldnt it help if the fans came on earlier to keep most of the heat saturation in check?
2. (this one is for our resident tinkerers) is their a way we can circumvent the system to have the fans come on at an earlier time and stay on longer??

I am trying to see if i could just maybe get a re flash or add in my own relay that will allow the fans to operate as they normally do, but can have the fans come on sooner and stay on longer without me having to manually toggle anything.

All opinions and ideas welcome.

Italian outfit, Rubber, heat, grunting, and you fill the open hole for more?? What's not to love??
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by TreeMV; 01-20-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 10:09 PM
Established Member

Yea, others will chime in here soon with either a rant about "Doing a search on the subject because its been discussed before" or with what they did to solve the problem.
Alot of the guys here have done the metal fan mod, impeller mod, and extra fan/manual fan switch mod and swear by them. I myself have only done the fan & impeller mod and also switched to engine ice and mine has been fine so far.

Where are you riding at? RIght now with me up in the Pacific Northwest so I dont get many super hot days when I am riding.

Hope that helps some, if not others will give you more info.

Happiness is a belt fed weapon in a target rich enviroment!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 MV F4 1000R, 02 Ducati 998, 04 GSXR 1k Race bike, 97 KDX 220SR dirt bike, 05 Suzuki LTR450 quad
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Wait fellas
before I get flamed to death, I am specifically asking if there is a way to either have the ecu kick on the fans sooner/longer or does anyone have an idea of a unit I could buy/make to have the fans come on sooner/longer
(I guess I should have left the wordy melodrama in the dictionary :-( )

Italian outfit, Rubber, heat, grunting, and you fill the open hole for more?? What's not to love??
post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 11:47 PM

A neat way is to re-program the ECU to switch the fan on at a lower set point but someone needs to reverse engineer the ECU or get MV to release a new chip.

A manual switch with relay would be the easiest to do, or do a simple circuit which reads / monitors the temperature and trigger the relay on /off at the lower preset point.

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast!!
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 01:19 AM
MRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by minime View Post
A neat way is to re-program the ECU to switch the fan on at a lower set point but someone needs to reverse engineer the ECU or get MV to release a new chip.

A manual switch with relay would be the easiest to do, or do a simple circuit which reads / monitors the temperature and trigger the relay on /off at the lower preset point.
Is it possible to put another temp sender in somewhere and run a seperate circuit for the fans? I can't look on my bike to see right now....
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 07:57 AM
Established Member

Technically speaking it wouldnt be that hard. Really you could jsut find a thermostat that could run off 12vdc power and hook your fans up directly through it. It would have to be completly autonomous from your ECU but I dont think it would be that hard to do.
I am fairly sure they have things like this in the car world, especially for like drag and high performance cars. I know alot of people go to electric style low profile fans and a fan controller. You might have to add a seperate temp sensor but again, it shouldnt be that hard to do. You could probably either add an bung on your radiator some where or put in some sort of coupler in line with on of the coolant hoses.

It wouldnt suprise me if someone here had already done it and has the entire procedure written up.

Happiness is a belt fed weapon in a target rich enviroment!!!

07 MV F4 1000R, 02 Ducati 998, 04 GSXR 1k Race bike, 97 KDX 220SR dirt bike, 05 Suzuki LTR450 quad
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 09:34 AM

Chris at X-BIKES in England has an ECU with the program to adjust temperature settings, extra HP, and in general make the bike run better...

www.xbikes.cc

+44 (0) 1945 585533
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 12:10 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
fan switch;
Honda cars used to use a thermostatic fan switch.... no stupid ECU involved
you might be able to jump past the ECU, because there are 2 temp sensors.....1 will be for the FI map, the other for the fan...
if you just unplug the fan one, it may generate an error code or even cause a 'limp mode'
it may do nothing.....i doubt the ECU cross references between the 2 to compare numbers, but you don't know what the electronic geeks did.

when i checked mine the fans came on @199 deg went to 206-7 then back down

sounds like you might not have bled all the air out of the cooling system too

i checked with TechnoResearch their tool CAN NOT change the set point for the fan

Noel-theknurl

Last edited by theknurl; 01-22-2010 at 12:09 AM.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 09:19 PM
Established Member

Im thinking the best part of this question is the question itself, In my knowledge the answer is yes starting the cooling of the thermal mass earlier will reduce the spike at the top of the range ,am thinking the best practical idea may be a manual switch to flick on when entering the traffic snarl
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 01-23-2010, 10:11 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
flying kiwi;
why have a manual switch to mess with when an old fashioned thermostatic switch will do it automatically?

Noel-theknurl

Noel-theknurl

The Forum Curmudgeon
I'm not PC either

'08 910R
'05 F4
ph. 310-414-7247 PST, GMT -8
PayPal;

Skype; theknurl

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode