Electrical Gremlins!!!! - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Electrical Gremlins!!!!

I have an unusual problem relating to the electrics.

If I wash down the bike - the indicators and dash lights flicker and go on and off - not unusual i hear you say but I can also remove the ignition key and still start the bike up with the key removed!!!

It only happens when the bike has been washed. I have sprayed the man suspect areas with plenty of wd40 - ignition barrel all electrics on the clip ons and anywhere i believe water may penetrate but without success!!

I'm wondering if there is an earth problem or wiring loom connection problem but don't know where to begin!!

Any help would be appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 03:52 PM

The problem is in washing the bike. MVs are pretty sensitive on the electronic part of motorcycle. The water gets in the relays and the problems start.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 04:29 PM

There's lot's of places in the loom and CDI (aka SPU) and switchgear MV's are not well waterproofed.
Stop washing your bike with water.

B4 750S [sold]
B3 675R [waiting]
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 05:09 PM
Established Member

I ride my bike in VERY heavy rain and havent had a single problem yet... HHHMMMMMM MIght go about trying to waterproof stuff.

Happiness is a belt fed weapon in a target rich enviroment!!!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

07 MV F4 1000R, 02 Ducati 998, 04 GSXR 1k Race bike, 97 KDX 220SR dirt bike, 05 Suzuki LTR450 quad
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by extremachn1 View Post
I ride my bike in VERY heavy rain and havent had a single problem yet... HHHMMMMMM MIght go about trying to waterproof stuff.
Riding is not a problem, had done it myself in heavy rain, because got catched. But washing is a no-no.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 09:55 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
rainy day project...
get a tube of dielectric grease.....put some on EVERY electrical contact.....

i live 400 meters from the Pacific Ocean.....EVERYTHING corrodes here, now add electricity....

Noel-theknurl

Last edited by theknurl; 01-20-2010 at 10:59 PM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 04:34 AM

I was told on a few occasions never to wash the MV's with a hose etc.... as water finds its way in to areas that water shouldn't be in.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 04:57 AM

I use a hose all the time, and i belive i have washed my bike 50 times this summer No problems, at all. Never use a strong beam of water, and never ever use high pressure water.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 06:17 AM
Cyber SPOTTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belloq View Post
I use a hose all the time, and i belive i have washed my bike 50 times this summer No problems, at all. Never use a strong beam of water, and never ever use high pressure water.
Ditto. I do the same after every single ride. I use a light spray setting on the hose & never directly on the instrument panel. I then chamiose it dry and take for a quick blast around the neighbourhood to ensure that the water beads I can't reach are vapourised before I put her away. I then tell her how much I love her & if I was a boy bke, the things that I would do to her....errrrr I digress.

I have no problems either Maybe the pressure, how long water is thrown onto it & where might be something that is relevant.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MVA - Maserati Vespa
Agusta
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2010, 09:33 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Isn't there a low spot in the wiring loom that collect water and causes corrosion or shorts on some of the F4s??? Seems I have read this somewhere here. A problem with some connectors that corrode at that spot, addressed on later model bikes??

I wash my bike with a garden hose, blow dry with compressed air...have been caught out and ridden in the rain...no problems. The bikes have to be somewhat water proof or our friends in the UK would never get to ride !!!!

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode