Running rough / on 3 cylinders? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 02:02 AM Thread Starter

Running rough / on 3 cylinders?

Hi All,

Having only had my MV for 2 weeks and after 2 year absense, there is one thing troubling me about the F4 1000S, though I'm not sure whether its normal or not.

I find that for the majority of the time its very stuttery at low speeds, and this morning cruising over the Anzac bridge there was a noticable change in engine note followed by what seems to be less power and response...

On the way back home it was smooth for the start of the trip, feeling much more resposive and pulling wheel up slightly in second without trying, but once again started to become stuttery at low speed and not very responsive, and I dont think it would have been so eager to lift the front wheel.

I dont see much difference at idle, but I'm just not familiar with the bike as yet.

Given that I've only ridden the bike a couple of times it concerns me and I'm thinking about taking it back to the dealership asap.
So far I've not really given the bike due to not riding for 2 years and I'm finding my riding legs again, plus two trips have had the missus on the back which means controlled speed. Hell I dont think its been above 10k rpm in my hands yet.

Am I'm just being paranoid, or is the stuttering and response issues for what is a high performance machine?

Is there anyway to reset the ECU or something? It has RG3 pipes, but I'm not sure if it has a matching EPROM.

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks

Simon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 02:09 AM

How many K's has the 1000S done?

It could be the relay up under the left front of the fairing, it's attached to the frame just behind the radiator??

Mine went and I had to position it out side of the fairing ...as it would run rough when it warmed up!

MV Agusta 1000S 1+1 (2004); Suzuki GSXR 600 (2005); Honda CB750; Honda CB175; BSA 350 (1939) ;
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 02:36 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazman View Post

It could be the relay up under the left front of the fairing, it's attached to the frame just behind the radiator??

Mine went and I had to position it out side of the fairing ...as it would run rough when it warmed up!
Thanks for replying Gazman, its just ticked over 7000km.

When you mention the relay, did yours fail and you replaced it, it you just relocated the original?

I'm assuming this is a fairing off affair?

New to the MV world.
So far its awesome
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 04:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazman View Post

I went and removed the left fairing, but is the relay you're refering to the little black unit about the size of a matchbox? It has MONT BY or similar on it?

If so, where did you move it too and what does it do?

I've also discovered that there is a coolant leak from the top radiator hose.

Definately going back to get that fixed.

Anyone got anything else that think cold be causing me trouble apart from the relay?

Thanks

Simon

New to the MV world.
So far its awesome
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 05:00 AM

Sounds like the EBS relay slowly going dead on you. When the relay heats up it would start playing up - ie feels like it is running on 3 cylinders. Do a search on my name there should be a part number somewhere.

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast!!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 06:03 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by minime View Post
Sounds like the EBS relay slowly going dead on you. When the relay heats up it would start playing up - ie feels like it is running on 3 cylinders. Do a search on my name there should be a part number somewhere.
Yeah I found out about the EBS relay by typing in "black matchbox" search and following the threads.
Ive since relocated it and will hit up the dealer for a new one.

Given that its been like this from the start and I just didnt know, I cant wait until tomorrow... should be awesome!

Thanks all for your help, hopefully it runs better tomorrow.

Simon

New to the MV world.
So far its awesome
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 06:04 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
It sounds like your EBS relay, as stated. They are about $110 new from the dealer. Or maybe one of our sponsors have them in stock. Try them first.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 09:57 AM
hes

Mine did it too some time ago. I had the dealer replace the EBS relay and it did it again. I think after the third time now it is running well (third time they relocated the box away from the heat).
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 04:13 PM

By juggling the wires, I could ride with it sitting outside of the fairing and never had any more trouble and then I went and sold the bike the same day I ordered a new one from the guy selling me the new bike!!!
#$%$#
Wasted about 150au dollars but the guy who bought my 1000S would have benefited!!!

Hopefully it is your problem also!!

MV Agusta 1000S 1+1 (2004); Suzuki GSXR 600 (2005); Honda CB750; Honda CB175; BSA 350 (1939) ;
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-20-2010, 04:07 AM Thread Starter

I moved the unit as far back as I could, and it seems that it now takes longer to reach the point where the rough running, like before maybe 5 minutes, now its 10. So I'm assuming that the guts of it are cooked and that it'll have to be replaced.
After speaking to the dealer it seems that they were expecting it... Maybe past experiences

New to the MV world.
So far its awesome

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode