A123 Battery instead or acid battery - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-17-2010, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

A123 Battery instead or acid battery

Hi Guys,
I am new to the forum as I just got a red 08 R312 yesterday.
Today, after carrying the back from AZ learned the battery was dead. No big deal, I jumped start it the beast and that was it. However, I remember having this same issue with another motorcycle I owned years back and it is quite a paint in the neck.

So, I know of this special type of batteries called A123. They are the type of batteries that go inside some high end hybrid cars. The beautiful thing about these batteries is that once charged, they will hold the charge without dropping a tenth of a volt for up to 10 years!!! I have personally used the batteries in model airplanes and I must say they are amazing.

I think the issue with using these type of batteries lies on the alternator and the type of charge it will do to the battery. Has any of you try to retrofit these type of batteries in an MV Agusta before? And if so, what have the results been?

Thanks much

Mario

F4 1000R 312
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 09:09 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Here is an article i found on the A123 batteries.

http://www.evworld.com/article.cfm?storyid=979

Seems the E powered model airplane guys are into this technology as it has a higher power output then the normal Lithium Ion batteries.

Looks like you will have to build your own battery pack for the bike, and the charging system will likely be problematic.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 10:22 AM
Established Member

buy a yuasha ytz10s, install it and be done. don't have to worry about problematic charging system or any alterations needed.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

I found this motorcycle racing company in Germany that swears by this batteries....
http://shop.durbahn.de/shop/en/products/Batteries_superlight_!/_A123_LiFePower-Durbahn

I found a source for individual cells and purchased sixteen cells to make a 13.2 volt/ 9,200 mah battery pack. If you ever need the battery charger, it is actually a lot cheaper than other chargers out there ($ 40).
Since I am used to working with battery packs and carbon fiber this is not big deal for me. I will report on the results in a few weeks.

F4 1000R 312
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 10:26 PM
hes

Do whatever you want, but make sure you have it charged and ready by the time I go visit you in Feb. No excuses !!!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-18-2010, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

actually, I am going to test the battery in your KTM, if the electronics don't blow up, I will install it in the MV.
BTW, I installed a finger print reader in the MV. It only starts with my thumbs!!!!
It is freezing here at 57 degrees!!

F4 1000R 312
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 10:00 AM
hes

Now I am going to have to cut your thumb off ....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode