312R IssUes HELP .... WTF? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 02:55 AM Thread Starter

312R IssUes HELP .... WTF?

First off I am tired, and stairing at the old LCD here like a zombie, had a long week so forgive me for being needy and zombified.

So finaly got myself and bike to Hawaii and after riding around my bike has the following issues:

1.) Perpetual hissing from has tank, like to much pressure inside?!
After I turn her off she starts to hiss at me! Bad girl!

2.) Chain on the bottom side of the sprocket seems a bit loose for my liking, is this normal? its tight on top, but I think it needs adjusment(yes I did search for this one and found 2 euroneous posts) can someone point me to a link>?

3.) Temps...wow, I bought the metal fans to replace the plastic RAD fans, have not done it. Anyone live in a warmer climate? I can attest to seeing 240 degrees in traffic...which results in me turning off the bike at lights, which keeps temps significantly down. I am going to do a CAT delete, is this a bolt on procedure? or do you have to replace the heads as well?

TIA, MV for life!

May you live as long as you want, but not want as long as you live
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 03:11 AM

Important one first is that hissing pressure or is it actually sucking in under vacuum? Try opening filler when you hear it. Probably blocked vent and there is a danger of collapsing your tank
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 03:27 AM Thread Starter

will do and will do....what about 2) and 3) ??

and nice to see someone is awake this late...lol....er wait, where is the land of the black?

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 03:35 AM Thread Starter

ahhh, thanks for the PM's mate!

post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 06:02 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
2) If you look closely at the plastic chain guard on the bottom of the swing arm you will see a diagram on how much slack to run in your chain. Iirc, it is 6mm up and 6mm down from the midpoint. Or, to put it another way, push up on the chain and you should have 11mm of movement. (I think those numbers are correct.) Run the chain looser rather than tighter. You won't jump a tooth if it is a little loose, but if it is a little tight, you run the risk of premature wear on the rear hub bearings.

3) The mid pipe is a bolt on procedure. You do not need to change the headers.

Make sure the cooling system is properly bled. It is very likely you have air trapped in it somewhere.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 06:19 AM
RT1
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
3) The mid pipe is a bolt on procedure. You do not need to change the headers.

ummm not on the 312r, needs new headers

best way to remove the cat is to take it to a exhaust place and someone who is good with a tig, and get them to remove the internals of the cat........quite simple and cheap

I live in Perth western australia and it get bloody hot here! I haven't had it over heat since doing these mods, even when its 35 degrees!!

new HO waterpump
engine ice
remove cat
muzzy fans

I also have a race ecu and rg3's fitted

= no more overheating ever!

good luck

post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 06:33 AM

The mid pipe is easy if you go that way to remove your cat. If you buy the ARROW decat it comes with new headers.

And Like CAG said you check the chain from the bottom not the top so 1/2" up is perfect fit.

No Idea about the tank but solutions above sound right
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 07:10 AM

Go back and get a 750...no overheating issues there....
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 07:24 AM

As CAG said "Make sure the cooling system is properly bled. " not a easy as you'd expect - read a couple of good threads on here - try a search on "bleed"
Originally Posted by CAG - "There is a procedure to bleed the system. There are a couple of places for air to get trapped in the system. With out going too crazy i.e. lifting the front end and laying the bike waaaay over on its side, here is what you can do.
Remove the cap on the overflow bottle. start the engine and let it warm up. You want it to get hot enough that the thermostat opens and allows the coolant to circulate. Shut the bike off and let it cool. The coolant in the overflow bottle should have dropped about 1/4-1/2 a cup. Fill it back to the bottom of the sight area (the frame tube is a good reference point) and put the cap back on."

PS Land of the Black Prince is Wales UK
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 01-13-2010, 09:52 AM
lee

Re the hissing. There are two "umbrella" valves made of very soft silicone in the tank cap itself. One is to relieve vacuum and the other to relieve pressure. Due to the design of the cap and it's passages they are rather slow to react and you will hear the hissing as the the pressure/vacuum slowly bleeds in/out. Sometimes they will squeal rather than hiss. Sings to you. It is my feeling that if you hear the sound then the valves are doing their job. It's when you don't hear it that you need to be concerned. A simple check is to open the cap and then close it. You should hear nothing at that point. Then wait a bit and if it starts up again then personally I wouldn't worry. I believe it's pressure in the tank from engine heat that you hear.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode