Air box warp? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 03:10 PM Thread Starter

Air box warp?

I was just putting my bike back together. And I had bought a new RR air box to go with the 1078 fairings I bought. Well after putting the air box on and then putting the tank on behind it it has a big gap on the Rt side and the Lt side match up perfect. I put the old air box on and it all fits like its supposed to. Could a Air box be warped? If so I am wondering if FBF would exchange it out for another one? Just found it a little odd. When I tighten the Rt side Air box mount is when it pulls away from the tank.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 06:26 PM
Ball & Chain magnet

Send a message via Yahoo to Djester
bent frame, bro

you should go ahead and sell those fairings to me

seriously.... did you try to adjust the tank a bit to see if it'd match up?

If at first you don't succeed, use a hammer instead

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 07:23 PM Thread Starter

Bent frame hahaha! Well I took the new airbox off put the new one on and it all fits perfect. I can line the tank up with the new airbox but as soon as I tighten the Rt Airbox mount bolt it pulls the front of the box down and away from the tank pretty noticeable gap.
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 07:56 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Time for some "hand building".....a little tweak here, twist there...maybe some shimming on the mount?

Honestly, I'm not there looking at it, but if things are distorting out of position when tightened something is not lining up.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Yea worse case is I shim the rear gase tank moount so it stays against the airbox. Will see this week what I conjuer up.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 07:48 PM Thread Starter

Well I put the air tubes back in hoping that would lift or set the airbox a little different but doesnt. I should put a pic of the gap. After I get it bolted down it pulls the Rt Air box way lower making a step up to the tank.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-2010, 09:46 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Something is wrong.....mounts for air box in the wrong location? time to do some comparative measurements.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 08:39 AM Thread Starter

yea side by side they are identical gonna get the tape measure out tonight. Just talked to Ferraci he is not sure if they are the same or not so he has a mechanic there now looking into it to see if something between the bikes is slightly different.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-12-2010, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Well I got out my trusty 25' tape measure(wanted to make sure I had enough) and the RR(new) air box Rt mount is 3/16" further back than the R(old) the Lt mounts are the same. So I will pass this on to FBF and see if this is a 1078 thing or if some how I got a defective box.. Either way just a small oddity on mounts.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-19-2010, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Well Im a little pissed at FBF at the moment. I talked to their parts manager about the airbox and basically got told send it in and I will get one same back to you. I thought perfect. Well I spent a good bit on shipping to get it to them they told me on Saturday when it arrived they were taking it to the warehouse to measure it along side a R air box on Tuesday. but he would work it out either way to get it shipped back to me as fast as he could and he didnt recall saying when he got mine he would send a new one out. Either way Ferraci I guess put the RR airbox on a 312R bike and of course it fit fine (im not sure he bolted the tank down to see how the box pulls away. But I wasnt there) they measured the airbox I sent and one from the warehouse and they all measured the same to include the R airbox. So I guess I must have measured wrong (VERY POSSIBLE). So now we are talking about how long to get that box back to me since they wont exchange it. The parts guy said he cant justify it overnight or even 2 day. So he says ground will deliver in 3 days. But It wont make the show by then and I will be starting the deal to get ready to leave so I guess in 6 months I will have the bike back together. Not really anyones fault here but I think 1. I they should have paid for the shipping to their place. 2. If he was gonna do all the CSI stuff then he should have said it. I think they should have just kicked out a new one and if the old was bad then perfect it was good then restock it for someone else to deal with.

I was told that maybe I didnt have everything lined up right. But I find it odd I messed with RR box a dozen times on and off and it wouldnt fit right on the bike but I could swap it to the Original R box and fit perfect everytime.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode