Maybe A Lemon? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 08:33 AM Thread Starter

Maybe A Lemon?

Quick question: My 02 F4, The key that opens my fuel cap and pops the rear seat, that's suppose to match the ignition key, correct? The ignition key looks factory, small head, wrapped in black, the ones that I fear are a 'copy' only open the fuel and rear hatch do not start the bike, and say 'honda' on them which leads me to believe someone had parts replaced and copies made.

On my other bikes, the keys matched. My Italian car, the keys are actually different for the fuel and ignition just as my MV, maybe the Italians like shiny things?

I ask because A) I'm sick of a key jingling and falling between the ignition and steering dampener, and B) I find odds and ends of my bike that don't match up. I.E. using bolts and screws that don't match, missing stupid things like rear hugger, original stickers and weird rattles from the exhaust as if someone had that apart too.

99 4.6 HSE | 99 BMW M3 | 84 Alfa Romeo GTV6 | 02 MV Agusta F4 | 78 MG Midget | 79 Series III 109 |

"Initial Success or Total Faliure"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 09:11 AM

One key does it all on my 04. They say "MV" on them. They do bend very easy, Maybe some one broke one off and used a Honda blank when replacing it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2014 B3 ITALIA
2010 Aprilia Tuono sold
08 Ducati 1098S
06 Ducati 999S sold
Bimota Santa Monica
2004 R1150RS
2005 MV F4 BLUE & Silver Sold
2010 Aprillia RSV4 R White:sold
1978 BMW R100RS sold
2008 Ducati SC 1000 S Sold
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 09:13 AM
Established Member

+1

One key fits all on mine

'01 F4S-750
'96 FZR600R
'83 XR500R
Saab 93 aero Convertible
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 10:07 AM

Sorry but Lemon is a strong word for it . Its not a lemon because someone has replaced parts for parts that do not fit or non OEM parts. There are plenty of parts around just check with CAG and or ebay for OEM parts that your bike needs. I have personaly used a copy of my ignition key (Yamaha blank key) will work just fine , and never have the key fall out of the ignition. And Yes all MV have One key for ignition , fuel tank and rear covling lock.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

I do understand lemon is a strong word for it, after my two odometer fraud cases on different vehicles, I'm fairly versed in how lemons are determined, both on a personal level and a legal level.

Even if they got keys replaced, the copy key does not start the bike, so there are TWO different keys with two different functions. The key doesn't fall out of the ignition, I was referring to the COPY key that's on the SAME key ring as the ignition key (so I can fill up with gas or get under the seat, though I've learned to just pocket it) falling between the steering dampener, again, not the actual ignition key falling out. I'd be worse off if that were the case.

I just got my first replacement part from CAG, so i do know what that feels like being in a DIY situation.

The second to last sign of odd nature with the bike was a red flag when I purchased the bike. It was not titled in the buyers name, it was the owner previous to that in which the title was named and signed. although registered in the buyers name.

And being the last, the odometer doesn't seem to operate normally. The 'set' button is suppose to have a function, correct? It does not do anything.

The parts that are kind of mismatched don't read as just replacement parts. The bike as a whole was not taken care of, almost a full inch and a half of play in the chain, no high beam bulb with wires just dangling. It seems the bike was taken down to bits and put back together again in someones shed.

Really, I was just looking for the answer to the key question. I received it. thank you guys. I'll have to either deal with carrying around two keys, or getting the locks tumbled to the ignition key.

99 4.6 HSE | 99 BMW M3 | 84 Alfa Romeo GTV6 | 02 MV Agusta F4 | 78 MG Midget | 79 Series III 109 |

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 10:55 AM

The key on the left is NOT an MV key either.
I wouldn't necessarily say you bought a lemon, but why did you buy an obviously abused bike?

B4 750S [sold]
B3 675R [waiting]
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 11:23 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Quote:
Originally Posted by JChinch View Post
I do understand lemon is a strong word for it, after my two odometer fraud cases on different vehicles, I'm fairly versed in how lemons are determined, both on a personal level and a legal level.

Even if they got keys replaced, the copy key does not start the bike, so there are TWO different keys with two different functions. The key doesn't fall out of the ignition, I was referring to the COPY key that's on the SAME key ring as the ignition key (so I can fill up with gas or get under the seat, though I've learned to just pocket it) falling between the steering dampener, again, not the actual ignition key falling out. I'd be worse off if that were the case.

I just got my first replacement part from CAG, so i do know what that feels like being in a DIY situation.

The second to last sign of odd nature with the bike was a red flag when I purchased the bike. It was not titled in the buyers name, it was the owner previous to that in which the title was named and signed. although registered in the buyers name.

And being the last, the odometer doesn't seem to operate normally. The 'set' button is suppose to have a function, correct? It does not do anything.

The parts that are kind of mismatched don't read as just replacement parts. The bike as a whole was not taken care of, almost a full inch and a half of play in the chain, no high beam bulb with wires just dangling. It seems the bike was taken down to bits and put back together again in someones shed.

Really, I was just looking for the answer to the key question. I received it. thank you guys. I'll have to either deal with carrying around two keys, or getting the locks tumbled to the ignition key.

I'm sorry to read about this.

don't get the locks re-tumbled. I'll send you the ignition, gas cap, rear lock and the key.

I will set up a separate folder in my email for you. I'm afraid I will be hearing from you often.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 01-10-2010, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

Why thank you for asking Fazer! At this point, I'm not really hell bent on the "lemon" or abused bike issue. I can't dispute you there. I was just wondering about keys, as I'm sitting there using one for one use, and one for another.

Reason for buying the bike, as all of my wacky projects, it fell into my lap. Someone else's headache I suppose. I got the bike for a remarkably low price. It was more like one of those 'wow, i'll get it and deal with all the issues as they come up'. A bit reckless, yes, in some eyes, but tons of fun and I don't mind the minor headaches as I'm a fairly happy individual.

In the end, I love the bike out of the few bikes I've had so far, for obvious reasons. Do I mind the weird stuff, different screws, getting chains, fixing stuff? No, I don't loose sleep over it, and certainly didn't mean to make myself look like the silly guy here.

I'll have to see about buying some OEM blanks, getting the gas lid and seat lock tumbled and be on my less than fancy way.

EDIT: CAG, I'll do as you say, and not get anything messed with. Everything works, just so odd.

P.S. Something about these little anime icons are seriously fun to use.

EDIT 2: I got my bike out of New Jersey a year and a half ago. I don't care about the names or who, but maybe someone knows someone that had an 02 F4 in Northern Jerz that didn't have their head screwed on straight? Maybe just to know the history of the bike, I'm not the finger pointing type of guy, just maybe getting some G2 (intel) on the history would be neat.

Last edited by JChinch; 01-10-2010 at 04:40 PM.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode