review of new F4 - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 01:57 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

review of new F4

Fast Bikes just published the first pics of the new F4. The review begins by stating:

Imagine being told you have to redesign the fresco on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel and everyone in Italy is waiting to see the results. That's roughly what Brit designer Adrian Morton was faced with when asked by MV to breathe life into the F4 1000. No pressure then...

the description ends with:

All in all MV has spent an awful lot of time and effort redesigning a bike so that it looks, at first glance, virtually identical to the one it replaces.

(sorry...not typing all the stuff in the middle)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by borg4life View Post
Fast Bikes just published the first pics of the new F4. The review begins by stating:

Imagine being told you have to redesign the fresco on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel and everyone in Italy is waiting to see the results. That's roughly what Brit designer Adrian Morton was faced with when asked by MV to breathe life into the F4 1000. No pressure then...

the description ends with:

All in all MV has spent an awful lot of time and effort redesigning a bike so that it looks, at first glance, virtually identical to the one it replaces.

(sorry...not typing all the stuff in the middle)
Read it also a few days ago , fast Bikes is not Mv minded
post #3 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 02:51 AM

not many mags are, f$%k knows why there the best bike.
post #4 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 09:22 AM

But it's true that the new F4 looks very close to the old one. My non-motorcycle family and friends and non-MV riders couldn't tell a difference (except the square exhaust).
post #5 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 10:56 AM
Ambassador / 007

Waiting for new bike

Send a message via Skype™ to pigiolino
True,The bike looks the same visually at first, but improving the best is what impossibile.La real difference is in the internal technology and have produced everything designed for racing.
The future "RR" will be a wealth of technology.
Pier

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 02:53 PM

MV is smart enough to not make the same mistake as Ducati did with the 999! Besides, how do you improve on something that is already so perfect?!
post #7 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 03:55 PM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayzer View Post
how do you improve on something that is already so perfect?!
I agree that Ducati made a poor visual choice with the evolution of the 998 to the 999, however I remember reading an article where Ducati stated that a Monster will always look like a Monster and a Superbike will always look like a Superbike. This is tantamount to admission of defeat.

I cannot believe the 916 Ducati and the MV Agusta F4 represent the ultimate motorcycle styling which cannot be improved, meaning all subsequent iterations can only be developments of the original design. This locks you into a predetermined model (nee Porsche 911).

Radiacal styling changes can occur without dilution the original intent - look at the Ferrari 308, 328, 348, 355, 360, 430 and 458 evolution. Or clser to home, Bimota have produced many iconic models each without any reference to another (they have also produced some real visual odd-balls too).

Evolution takes wrong turns (the Ducati 999, Ferrrari 348). There are gorgeous bkes out there that don't look anything like a 916 Ducati, for example is the Cagiva 594 ugly? (its the 500cc GP bike that was supposively going to be the original styling basis for the F4). I also think Triumph has produced some inspirationally syled bikes in recent years that again don't follow any particar path.

To be an MV Agusta red and silver paint is mandatory as is an inline engine with the same number of exhaust pipes as cylinders however nothing else is really sacred - is it?

In my view the current MV Agusta F4 is beautiful and the next model needs to stand on it's two feet, yes the task is huge and fraught with risk but the Italians are the masters of design and don't we all want to ride original pieces of art not knockdowns of an original?

Andrew...
post #8 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew View Post
I cannot believe the 916 Ducati and the MV Agusta F4 represent the ultimate motorcycle styling which cannot be improved, meaning all subsequent iterations can only be developments of the original design. This locks you into a predetermined model (nee Porsche 911).

Radiacal styling changes can occur without dilution the original intent - look at the Ferrari 308, 328, 348, 355, 360, 430 and 458 evolution. Or clser to home, Bimota have produced many iconic models each without any reference to another (they have also produced some real visual odd-balls too).

Evolution takes wrong turns (the Ducati 999, Ferrrari 348). There are gorgeous bkes out there that don't look anything like a 916 Ducati, for example is the Cagiva 594 ugly? (its the 500cc GP bike that was supposively going to be the original styling basis for the F4). I also think Triumph has produced some inspirationally syled bikes in recent years that again don't follow any particar path.

To be an MV Agusta red and silver paint is mandatory as is an inline engine with the same number of exhaust pipes as cylinders however nothing else is really sacred - is it?

In my view the current MV Agusta F4 is beautiful and the next model needs to stand on it's two feet, yes the task is huge and fraught with risk but the Italians are the masters of design and don't we all want to ride original pieces of art not knockdowns of an original?

Andrew...
+1. A good design is a good design even if it comes from scratch. I have a feeling the new MV's design is really more based on costs and coming out with a more different design than the original.
post #9 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 05:03 PM

I wish massimo had designed this update is all I can say!

BUT

I agree with Pigiolino that the technology is what it is all about and I am excited by what MV will do in the future with the development of this new model!!

MV Agusta 1000S 1+1 (2004); Suzuki GSXR 600 (2005); Honda CB750; Honda CB175; BSA 350 (1939) ;
post #10 of 35 (permalink) Old 12-25-2009, 07:45 PM

Andrew, you took what I said all wrong! With that being said, where do you think MV would be if the new
F4 (which personally would buy) did to them what the 999 did to Ducati (I owned 2 999R's, one being a Xerox rep)? All I am trying to say is, it is hard to top something like the origonal F4. I'm not saying it can't be done but, when it comes to purist, what ever the replacement is, it better be stunning! Anyway, I hope the new bike sellls and we see MV on the track again sooner than later. I also hope they continue to develop and move forward with new technology. This will surely help generate sales.

Last edited by Rayzer; 12-25-2009 at 07:48 PM. Reason: addition

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode