Twenty Questions !! land of Oz - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 06:09 PM Thread Starter

Twenty Questions !! land of Oz

Hi,nearly sold my 999[substantial deposit has been paid].So time to get a bit more serious.I know I will be suffering 'No Bike' withdrawal symptoms over the Xmas period.and do have a number of questions regarding F4.Biggest issue is that down here ,Wollongong,I dont know anyone with an MV !!,which is likely half the attraction.999 s werent the most popular Ducati either. Budget will be in the low 20g mark.Dont think I can stretch to a new one,so should find something in the 07/08 range,preferably with quite low ks. is this unrealistic ? monoposto or biposto.Whats desireable among these ?Not really a suitable bike for pillion anyway[wife has never had any interest in my bikes and riding,and that suits me,but do the odd trip to P.I and through the Snowys,so is their a gearsack rack or other options.How suitable are they for this.500/550 k days .[5. 10 ,77 kgs if this helps] were Ok on 999.The one 1100k day I did on the 999 was an absolute killer,and vowed never to do that again .What sort of Ks out of a Tank.Not after a fuel tanker !!My own opinion is that anymore than 200k,you want to hop off and have a stretch anyway.Reliability /service/parts issues ?[always done additional serving myself,with majors to the dealer].Items to look out for with second hand,up till now,most bikes I have purchased have been new and had warranty,obviously this wont be the case this time.No dealer down here,whats the dealer network like ?. Expected Insurance costs ? ,wouldnt expect to be much different to Ducs. Bit long winded,thanks for your assistance in advance,John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-14-2009, 06:18 PM

Hi

I have had two this is my second .. an 312R - much more kick in top gear than the older 1000S.

Love the sound and love the looks!!!

I get better mileage out of the 312R than the 1000S, exhaust with cat gets bloody hot though ( I will remove it later!) About 230 - 250 out of a tank before reserve light comes on!

A guy from SA was too short at 5' 8" - you should be ok! Im over 6' 4" so no worries!

Friend had a rack made tried to sell it to me, I just use a tank bag and a small back pack! A luggage rack does not suit the MV!!!

Two hundred k's max before a stop is plenty!! I change riding position to give the bum a rest!!

I did most of the servicing on the old one myself! Parts are ok depends what you want!!! But I have never needed anything serious in over 50 000k's on MVs. Most stuff on US ebay anyway!

Dealers are generally crap!!!

After market exhausts are expensive I have done the gazman exhaust mod which sounds best of them all!!

good luck with your decision!!!

MV Agusta 1000S 1+1 (2004); Suzuki GSXR 600 (2005); Honda CB750; Honda CB175; BSA 350 (1939) ;
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 02:56 AM

I've toured on my F4 (750 EV03) around Tassie for a week and through Gippsland and the Snowies for two or three dayers using either a tank bag or a back pack. Still undecided which is better. Even done a 660 km day which was hard work for the last bit, 100 km of highway/freeway at legal speeds just sucks.

I found it easy to tour through the twisties. For straight roads anything over 120 km/h is fine but at legal speeds for any length of time it is quite exhausting, both physically and mentally.

But if it's comfort you want on a 1,000km a day ride through all sorts of weather over a miriad of different road surfaces then perhaps consider a BMW. I'll stick to my sporty Italians.
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 03:29 AM
MRT

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmevi125s View Post
100 km of highway/freeway at legal speeds just sucks.
I will second that, but it sucks on any sports bike.

The biggest day I have done on the 312 is 770klms, as you say stopping every couple of hours for fuel and a stretch. I don't think it is any less comfortable overall than my R1 was, different but not really worse. They both had their good and bad points. The MV has a flat (but hard) seat so it easier to move, the R1 sorta locked me up against the tank on the highway.

The biggest day I have ever done was 1400k's on the R1. That was on the way home from the island one year. We stayed the night at singleton and by that stage we were over it and decided to ride straight home. I wouln't be too keen to do it again, but it can be done. Bloody big day up the new england, boring as hell and had to stay within reason to the speed limit.

Get an F4, you will love it! But be prepared, they need a fair bit of tlc. And mine runs bloody hot, but hopefully we are sorting that. Owning an MV is never dull!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 04:31 AM
Cyber SPOTTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeamv View Post
Hi,nearly sold my 999[substantial deposit has been paid].So time to get a bit more serious.I know I will be suffering 'No Bike' withdrawal symptoms over the Xmas period.and do have a number of questions regarding F4.Biggest issue is that down here ,Wollongong,I dont know anyone with an MV !!,which is likely half the attraction.999 s werent the most popular Ducati either. Budget will be in the low 20g mark.Dont think I can stretch to a new one,so should find something in the 07/08 range,preferably with quite low ks. is this unrealistic ? monoposto or biposto.Whats desireable among these ?Not really a suitable bike for pillion anyway[wife has never had any interest in my bikes and riding,and that suits me,but do the odd trip to P.I and through the Snowys,so is their a gearsack rack or other options.How suitable are they for this.500/550 k days .[5. 10 ,77 kgs if this helps] were Ok on 999.The one 1100k day I did on the 999 was an absolute killer,and vowed never to do that again .What sort of Ks out of a Tank.Not after a fuel tanker !!My own opinion is that anymore than 200k,you want to hop off and have a stretch anyway. Reliability /service/parts issues ?[always done additional serving myself,with majors to the dealer].Items to look out for with second hand,up till now,most bikes I have purchased have been new and had warranty,obviously this wont be the case this time.No dealer down here,whats the dealer network like ?. Expected Insurance costs ? ,wouldnt expect to be much different to Ducs. Bit long winded,thanks for your assistance in advance,John
Seems you are trying to make a well educated sensible decison with your head.

I am not sure that is what owning a MV is all about, certainly not for me.

Picture yourself married with a ball tearing mistress (kind of like Tiger when he was on the happy side of par)...the MV is that mistress, she'll fuck your brains out, cost you a small fortune, be an untrusting bitch but everytime you mount her, you will know it is worth every single heart ache.

I don't believe owning an MV is ever a decison of the head, but rather one driven by unbridled passion. When it becomes the former, that will be the day I cease to ride and walk. Riding is not a form or transport for me but rather an indulgence that quenches certain desires within me. The MV adequately serves that purpose for me, nothing else has or is ever likely to.

Perhaps a different point off view will help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
MVA - Maserati Vespa
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Agusta

Last edited by MVista; 12-15-2009 at 04:39 AM. Reason: sepllin,spelin, spleelin..tpoy TYop..TYPO :)
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 05:15 AM Thread Starter

thanks guys for your imput,much appreciated.yes,trying to make the rational decision,but owning a Duc was never that rational either.Passion/desire does count.The heat issue I assume would be the same as what i ve already experienced for the last 7 years and 48000k.Below 90ks or riding in the city,a cooked ass and burning legs ,and even worse if without leathers on and rising eng. temp also .fortunatel little riding done below 90 and in the city.Imagine above 130 is better with less weight on the wrists ?.Reliability is more a concern than comfort .Very nearly purchased the F4 back when i got the 999,but MV s usual financial woes and the fact that were only 750cc at the time,put me off.The current other contender is 1098S,but they are like assholes ,everyones got one now.Reliability and servicing ? what sort of ks etc.will they hold together for 50 000k without anything super major.Tend to ride quick,but not harsh[not a squid]Is there major things items to be replaced every 20 000k as per Belt Ducs.Can they be reasonably maintained by self,as dealer would be 150k away.Im fairly anal when it comes looking after my toys.Even remove the exhaust,rear tail and tank to clean them.Fuelling or stalling issues ? reading a little is there issues and how are they addressed ? thanks John
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 05:22 AM

MVista not a truer word could be said....my friends, have asked me when are you going to get a girl friend...i simply say to them i have the best girl friend in the world...every day i ride her and she never complains, the more i give her, it never seems to be enough, some one on this forum put it simply RED and SILVER = HAPPINESS...

maybeamv, all i can say is she will never disappoint you....
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 05:54 AM
Cyber SPOTTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by spypyp View Post
MVista not a truer word could be said....my friends, have asked me when are you going to get a girl friend...i simply say to them i have the best girl friend in the world...every day i ride her and she never complains, the more i give her, it never seems to be enough, some one on this forum put it simply RED and SILVER = HAPPINESS...

maybeamv, all i can say is she will never disappoint you....
Fortunately my wife understands that monogamy is not a realistic way of life for some (read me) & has always approved of my mistresses. As of yesterday she has a rider's licence & is now a total convert.

She is even braced (Oh Please God) for the triple in 2011, as always she knows there are no outgoing only incoming to swell the harem Although I suspect that she will expect the triple to swing both ways, happy to watch her in action

Not only I do agree RED and SILVER = HAPPINESS...but also contributes to quality of life. You have to love girlfriends & mistresses

MVA - Maserati Vespa
Agusta
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 06:31 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Quote:
Originally Posted by maybeamv View Post
Reliability and servicing ? what sort of ks etc.will they hold together for 50 000k without anything super major.Is there major things items to be replaced every 20 000k as per Belt Ducs.Can they be reasonably maintained by self,as dealer would be 150k away. Fuelling or stalling issues ? reading a little is there issues and how are they addressed ? thanks John
Very reliable if serviced properly. Maintenance is much easier to perform then your Duc, and less of it as well. No belts or such, but the schedule calls for replace or inspect some things periodically, like timing chain tensioner, but inspection is all that is usually needed. Some people have had rear wheel bearing problems, but many more have not. Most likely cause is overly tight chain adjustment. Hot engine temps have been addressed with a new water pump that can be retro fit. Fueling on early models is easily addressed with a power commander. Newer bikes fuel very well, but everyone (me too) is always wanting more. Fortunately, aftermarket ECU (see X81's site) are available if you can't resist the temptation to fiddle and have the coins.

Buy it...take care of it like you should and you will enjoy a long happy relationship.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode