What's up with this? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 08:42 AM Thread Starter

What's up with this?

Noticed this every time back from a ride now. Bike's a 2000 and the roads are not bad out here. Don't ride in the wet either. Usually left side only or more. Greasy kind of residue...

Everything under the fairing seems OK; oil leaking, radiator, etc. Could this be just road grime? Seems like a weird place to see it show up. Never had this happen in Chicago.

Just curious if other F4's experience this on the road or if it's an indication of something else.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 10:25 AM
lee

That looks to me like an oil leak given the color. Obviously coming from up front and above the joint between the pan and fairing. I would take off the fairings, re check for visible leaks and start wiping with your finger up high on all surfaces working your way down until you get some oil on your finger and then try to trace it from there. Alternatively you can clean all surfaces as best you can, pack paper towels around any suspect areas, ride it and then look for oil on the towels to help you zero in on it.

Oil and water seeps are a bitch to find the source of as the stuff will creep around all over as a thin film.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 10:43 AM
Established Member

That is either a fuel leak from the fuel connections under the tank or a seeping oil filter seal.

Both of which i have had & have appeared in the same place.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 10:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bungle View Post
That is either a fuel leak from the fuel connections under the tank or a seeping oil filter seal.
Hmm. I just replaced the fuel fittings a few weeks ago...

...perhaps not tight enough.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 11:06 AM
Established Member

try checking the sump bolts!! - i had a nasty leak coming from below the sidestand and peeing out and under the fairing - turned out i had a couple of loose sump bolts.
colin
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 11:15 AM

I had the same thing on my bike. Turned out to be an oil leak from under the valve gasket cover. Good luck.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 11:15 AM
Established Member

It is definitley not road grime...if it were, it would be more scattered on the fairing lower, not a distinct leak coming from the fairing union.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 11:36 AM
JDS
King of Bling

Send a message via MSN to JDS
All the above, and also have a look at the water pump oil seal.

EMAIL :
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 11:47 AM

Well thank god I just read this!! its your water pump. if you look at the bottom of your water pump on the motor side there is a tiny weep hole and what has failed is your oil seal that goes around ur impellar shaft. I just got mine all sealed up this Saturday from the dealer in Chicago. I had nursed mine for a while and now snow is here resealed it. for the mechanical seal behind the impellar, the oil seal, the seal that goes around the whole thing that goes into the motor, and the seal between the 2 halves was $50USD. I have a breakdown picture I will post up that will show you.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2009, 11:54 AM

Here is the breakdown these are the seals you need. the dealer I was referred to them and they got them all in under a week.its Team MCC. They recommend you scuff polish the new shaft and that you get a new shaft because the ones you get in the bike and order get polished by the bearings and basically allow the seal to let oil pass through. So when they scuff them they say it makes a better bond with the seal and have never had one come back.

Parts I replaced were #'s 19,7, 8, 3(the failed one) if you are a do it yourselfer. Its way easy the shaft actually knocks out towards the motor not the impellar side. should kock both bearings and seal all at once then you would not have to change # 19 it was a pain to get out like it had bonded itself to the metal but after some scraping and heating up I got it all out.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Document.pdf (137.5 KB, 120 views)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode