Dont Pay For It - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 01:36 AM Thread Starter

Dont Pay For It

TUNE THROTTLE BODIES
when i got my F4 750 it ran a bit sluggy,bad take off,bad roll on throttle.so what i did was get the snyc gauges out and see what sort of mess the bodies were in.i would have to say this bike is the easiest bike to tune throttle.take the tank covers off,2 screws on each cover.take 3 quick release screws off (no need to take side panels off).4 rubber caps on snyc bleed nipples,remove them and put snyc hoses on.taking the airbox covers off,you can see the screws for adjusting the throttles.start the bike and rev it up to 3000rpm.you can see the gauges if they are out of sync.adjust the screw to match the gauge (not more than 1.5 turns out).when the needles are the same height,its done.its as easy as that.then put all the parts back as they came and RIDE.when i just did the throttles on my bike it made such a difference,it a new bike.easy take offs,better throttle response.dont pay someone for a job that is as easy as riding

DUCATI 851 SP3
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DUCATI 998S
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BIMOTA SB8Rspecial

MV 750 F4

MV 1000 TAMBURINI

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 06:53 AM

Maybe James can chime in here.

I thought the screws on the TB's were to adjust the synch at idle only.

When you rev the engine to 3K, aren't you suppose to adjust the linkages to synch them?.

The screws are air bypass screws correct???
The shop manual states to synch them at idle, what about off idle?

John T (needing to do this)
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 10:37 AM

HI Tambo and John,

In my opinion both are correct. Set the balance at idle but check your work with rising revs. Manual specifies at idle (I give the correct range below) but many find it helpful to verify this with higher revs. Don't adjust at higher but do ensure they check out. If using a mercury gauge be careful not to go off throttle too abruptly at higher revs or you'll suck the mercury into the throttle bodies!! I prefer and suggest a morgan carbtune.

Tambo, the air bypass screw range differs by model:

F4 Oro: 1/2 turn to 1 turn air bypass opening. Idle 1250 +/- 50 RPM. CO 4 +/- .5%
F4 750 2000/01: 1/2 turn to 1 turn air bypass opening. Idle 1250 +/- 50 RPM. CO 4 +/- .5%
F4 750 Senna/2002/2003/2004/SPR/SR: 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 air bypass opening. Idle 1150 +/- 50 RPM. CO 3.5 +/- .5%
Brutale 750 2003/2004/2005: 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 air bypass opening. Idle 1150 +/- 50 RPM. CO 3.5 +/- .5%
Brutale 910: 1 to 3.5 turns air bypass opening. Idle 1200 +/- 50RPM. CO 3.5 +/- .5%

Because of the unique EBS system on the 1000 the procedure is somewhat different for that model (1000S, Ago, Tamburini, Senna1000, 1000R). The factory specifies that you first adjust Cylinder #2 starting at 1.5 turns and try to stay as close as possible to that position while balancing the other three cylinders. The range for cylinder #2 is 1 - 2.5 turns. The range for cylinders 1,3,4 is 1 - 3.5 turns. End idle result should be 1200 RPM +/- 50.

We haven't written up the process for the 1000R/Senna1000 yet but need to do it. I'd like a live bike to show pictures and make sure what I say in theory works in practice with no gotchas.

Also if you do the work to balance you may as well check your CO% in my opnion. Although the TB Balance affects the throttle feel more than the a/f ratio (CO%) both make a difference. Look up a Gunsen gastester for a good reliable unit.

JamesC

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 01:02 PM

a nice write up with pics would be awsome.....and if you could give some details on sync guages to purchase that would be awsome....i would like to learn this technique....especially since i have to drive 4 1/2 anytime i want to take my bike for service.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 01:58 PM

A writeup with pics?

www.MVFAQ.blogspot.com

Look up tuning...

JamesC

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 03:12 PM

thanks James!!! ur det man! lol
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 07:01 PM
MV1

James, Tambo
You guy's mentioned "gauges" for the snyc-ing of the throttle bodies. What type of gauges are you refering to? I used to use a sync-o-meter for the Dellorto carbs on my old school RX-7. Is this what you guy's are refering to?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 06:13 AM Thread Starter

hi.well i use the mercury gauge,i think it works best.ok to tuning the bike on idle(DONT WORK).my mate has the spr 750,i tuned it on idle and it was throwing fuel out the pipes like i as putting fuel in the tank.then i tuned the bike at about 3000rpm and it is perfect.i did the same to my 750 MV and it was the same,tuning it on idle did not work.so to tuning on idle,i would like to know who that works for.???it is basic to do but what you read and what works,sometimes is different...idle dont work for me.ill try idle on my Tambo and see whats better

DUCATI 851 SP3

DUCATI 998S

BIMOTA SB8Rspecial

MV 750 F4

MV 1000 TAMBURINI

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMBO_DUCK
hi.well i use the mercury gauge,i think it works best.ok to tuning the bike on idle(DONT WORK).my mate has the spr 750,i tuned it on idle and it was throwing fuel out the pipes like i as putting fuel in the tank.then i tuned the bike at about 3000rpm and it is perfect.i did the same to my 750 MV and it was the same,tuning it on idle did not work.so to tuning on idle,i would like to know who that works for.???it is basic to do but what you read and what works,sometimes is different...idle dont work for me.ill try idle on my Tambo and see whats better
The full set up as in James's FAQ IS the factory way of doing it. and it says "do not touch or adjust anything with yellow paint" i.e: the synch between the two halves of the throttles, However, If I synched mine at idle it was out a long way at 3000 or whatever I lifted it too, setting it at 3000 and it only idled on 3 cylinders, I set all 4 adjustment screws to the book setting, set the balance at 3000 with the "yellow painted" adjuster, then re-synchronised the idle and mixture screws at idle, perrrfffecccct!!
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAMBO_DUCK
tuning the bike on idle(DONT WORK).my mate has the spr 750,i tuned it on idle and it was throwing fuel out the pipes like i as putting fuel in the tank.

What screws were you adjusting exactly!? What was the CO% or a/f while you were doing this work??

JamesC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode