annoying rattle/vibration - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 12:20 AM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to insecureshell Send a message via MSN to insecureshell
annoying rattle/vibration

Hello -

I have a 2001 F4 1+1. Purchased the bike with only 94 miles on the odometer, apparently it was the classic living room furniture in its previous life.
I am getting ready to turn it in for the 600 mi. service. At about 200 miles into enjoying this bike, an excessive rattle appeared. It seems to be coming from the right side of the front fairing and the right rear view mirror. I can get the vibration to stop if i push lightly forward on the wind screen most of the time...
I have added some rubber washers under the allen bolts that hold the rear view mirror on, put a little rubber spacer between the cockpit instruments and the shield, loosend and tightened down the 2 allen bolts that hold the front fairing on. The rattle is getting worse the more i try to alleviate the problem. Has anybody had this happen?
I am dreading the reply of "it is typical with these bikes". I love the bike more than anything, and just want the vibration to leave :-) I am open to any suggestions -

Regards,
matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 12:32 AM
The Dude

Interesting. My F4 had some rattle that I noticed when I first got it and rode it home. I can't remember what I tried to hold to stop it, but remember not stopping it. I've only taken it out twice, both longer trips with earplugs, so haven't noticed it too much. But I can't imagine it's just gone away.

I've got an after-market windscreen, so might be a different thing. On mine I can see a bit of rubbing of the paint off the screen near where the tach is. Not sure if it is related to the rattling noise...i don't think so.

anyway, i'll pay more attention to it and see if it still does it. I don't notice any vibrations related to it though.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 05:32 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by insecureshell
Hello -

I have a 2001 F4 1+1. Purchased the bike with only 94 miles on the odometer, apparently it was the classic living room furniture in its previous life.
I am getting ready to turn it in for the 600 mi. service. At about 200 miles into enjoying this bike, an excessive rattle appeared. It seems to be coming from the right side of the front fairing and the right rear view mirror. I can get the vibration to stop if i push lightly forward on the wind screen most of the time...
I have added some rubber washers under the allen bolts that hold the rear view mirror on, put a little rubber spacer between the cockpit instruments and the shield, loosend and tightened down the 2 allen bolts that hold the front fairing on. The rattle is getting worse the more i try to alleviate the problem. Has anybody had this happen?
I am dreading the reply of "it is typical with these bikes". I love the bike more than anything, and just want the vibration to leave :-) I am open to any suggestions -

Regards,
matt
Matt,

I have the same thing with My Senna 1000, around 4500-5000 rpm. In my case it comes from the air intake tubes that are vibrating against the fairing.

dismantle the fairing and see paint comes off. If so the problem might be there and putting rubber will solve the problem.

Good luck,
MotoMorfose

With your Mind Power, determination, your instinct and the expierence aswell, you can fly very high! "Ayrton Senna"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 11:28 PM

In case it helps I also noted a buzzing screen near 5K RPMs. Could minimize it by holding/pushing the screen. Left a message on this and someone mentioned tightening the Allen screws holding the screen. I did this and 90% of the buzzing was removed. Not even an issue now. Just mentioning it in case it helps.
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-20-2006, 11:51 PM

Mine had a really weird rattle when I first got it that I swore was a fairing issue.

It was loose exhaust headers. I tightened them up when I did the thermal wrap on the headers. That fixed it for a while

Now I have a rattle again at 8000 miles, sounds like it's probably the air tubes, heh.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 01:38 AM

I had the exact same symptoms. Most of the time the rattle is from the front fairing not fitting correctly over the headlight (this is why when you press on the fairing upwards it stops). It drove me crazy for awhile till I figured it out. I thought it was the right mirror too but it wasn't. Take off the front fairing by undoing the two bolts holding it on at the base of the mirror stays. Examine the area around the headlight opening. You will probably see areas rubbed free of paint.

- Matt H.

'05 F4 1000S
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-21-2006, 10:16 AM

I had a rattle once on my CBR400RR that drove me absolutely crazy for months. I had the bike stripped down, even exhausts all off, and I revved it and at 5k rpm I'd still here this high-pitched metallic clatter. Then one day whilst riding and trying to ignore it I took my left hand off the bar and placed it on the tank and it stopped! Turned out the spring in the fuel cap flap wasn't strong enough and it was bouncing up and down at exactly 5k rpm. Never managed to fix it though...

Si
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 10:49 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to insecureshell Send a message via MSN to insecureshell
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovdini
I had the exact same symptoms. Most of the time the rattle is from the front fairing not fitting correctly over the headlight (this is why when you press on the fairing upwards it stops). It drove me crazy for awhile till I figured it out. I thought it was the right mirror too but it wasn't. Take off the front fairing by undoing the two bolts holding it on at the base of the mirror stays. Examine the area around the headlight opening. You will probably see areas rubbed free of paint.
yes! i have been concentrating on the right mirror for over a week now. nothing i do (little rubber o-rings stuffed all over to soften any shaking) has worked. i will remove the front fairing and look for paint wear. thanks for the tip! this has been driving me absolutley nuts...
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 08-24-2006, 11:51 PM

My paint is rubbing off under the fairing around the front head light.

Haven't done anything about it as yet but i do have an annoying rattle it could be that!!
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 05-11-2008, 04:21 PM

had to dig this up im having the rattle while riding also i keep grabbing different parts around the windscreen and gauges but it doesnt stop its really getting annoying

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode