New 4-1 exhaust system with valve (F4 2010) - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 09:36 AM Thread Starter
King of Carbon

Send a message via Skype™ to DesignCorse
New 4-1 exhaust system with valve (F4 2010)

Does anyone know how this system will work?

Will there be an actuator that opens the valve dependent on engine load, and if so what RPM will it open?

I think its the same system that Car Manufacturers have been using for some years now. I have the system on my car and it works brilliantly especially if your returning home late and you dont want to wake the neighbours.

Al
Attached Images

Last edited by DesignCorse; 12-04-2009 at 09:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 09:51 AM

New BMW S1000RR has got two valves which open around 11000 RPM.

Its new but unfortunately most of these valves are made to cruise more silent and when you open up the gas give more and more sound.

I my book I always want that sound available and not only a high RPM.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 09:56 AM Thread Starter
King of Carbon

Send a message via Skype™ to DesignCorse
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickadelic View Post
New BMW S1000RR has got two valves which open around 11000 RPM.

Its new but unfortunately most of these valves are made to cruise more silent and when you open up the gas give more and more sound.

I my book I always want that sound available and not only a high RPM.
The way i got round having the valve open when i want it was to have a switch inside the car which has auto mode and open mode.

Dont know if the new F4 will have such a setup via the new digital clocks and traction control settings. Wouldnt be difficult to set up though even if the F4 system didnt have that option.

"This new ECU controls the 8 fuel injectors in the engine management system, the variable length intake tracts as well as the exhaust control valve, the gear selection switch and the new MK II Traction Control along with the double EFI Sport and Rain maps"

"A new electronic valve in the exhaust system optimizes the performances and contributes to the silencing of the engine, but also to maintain the unmistakable sound of the 4-cylinder MV"

It could be that the valve is controlled via the Map (sport or Rain mode)

AL

Last edited by DesignCorse; 12-04-2009 at 10:04 AM.
post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 01:38 PM

if think it will be as the BMW and therefore open at a certain RPM level.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 02:13 PM

I was under the impression that when properly set up, the valves were there to increase effects of the backpressure waves at low RPM to draw more fuel/air mixture into cylinder or something along those lines...
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-04-2009, 05:11 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snohman View Post
I was under the impression that when properly set up, the valves were there to increase effects of the backpressure waves at low RPM to draw more fuel/air mixture into cylinder or something along those lines...
Yes...this is the same exhaust tuning valve in use by all the Japanese for some time. Yamaha was first with the EXUP system. Suzuki was next. ECU controlled using a lot of variables. Helps smooth dips out of the torque curve (what snohman is mentioning) and has the side benefit of being able to reduce exhaust dB levels in low power conditions so the bike can pass the Noise Emission Laws (EPA in the USA) and still flow well when in full power mode.

Race systems don't use these because they don't need street rideability, not to mention some weight and another thing to tune or have break.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 04:18 AM

I thought the valves were for the most part because noise emission laws.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 04:23 AM
Exhaust flow technology is a science all on it's own. I used to be a dab hand with two stroke expansion chambers years ago. 4 stroke exhaust technology is a black art to me though I'm afraid.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But.....a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 09:14 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcctx View Post
I thought the valves were for the most part because noise emission laws.
Nope....although people who don't know anything about the subject (more noise = more power...those guys) will say so....that's because they are ignorant.

2-stroke expansion chambers are the most visible example of how sound waves affect engine performance...4-stroke exhaust is not so clear.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-05-2009, 05:39 PM
Sal

Quote:
Originally Posted by esq'z me View Post
Nope....although people who don't know anything about the subject (more noise = more power...those guys) will say so....that's because they are ignorant.

2-stroke expansion chambers are the most visible example of how sound waves affect engine performance...4-stroke exhaust is not so clear.
fully agree for 2-strokes, but on 4-strokes I'm quite shure, the main goal is to pass noise emission tests...

I made a test by disabling the exhaust valve control on my Hypermotard and fixed the valve in the open position, bike runs the same except for a slight more noise on low rpm's

'99 MV F4 Oro

'01 996R

'07 Hypermotard S

'01 996S R-mod

'74 Duc 450 Scrambler

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode