Are MV engines better than Japanese engines - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 12:35 AM Thread Starter

Red face Are MV engines better than Japanese engines

I followed Hokums thread regarding his engine failure with interest. Is this a rare, one off, failure with any size of MV engines?

I've only had my MV for 3 months, so I guess you could call me a virgin, but nowhere have I read of any re-ocurring engine or transmission failures - and I guess you shouldn't, seeing as these engines are touted to be hand built. They have been in production for 10 years or so, but nothing I have read indicates one partucular weakness - but there again, I haven't seen anybody crowing about high mileages either.

But are MV as good as the (much cheaper) Japanese engines which don't even see a human hand in their assembly. Do we have people here who have high mileages or do we all ride garage queens with less than 50,000 miles?
I'm not being confrontational, but why spend nearly double the entry fee.........

Nil desperandum bastardo carburundum !!

Last edited by SteveGT; 12-01-2009 at 02:47 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 03:19 AM

There are several members who have high mileages on modern MV engines with no problems.

Personally, I didn't spend 'nearly double the entry fee' for reliability, that being one factor of many to take into account when considering the purchase of a new motorcycle.
post #3 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 03:34 AM

Wow, in order to effectively answer your question, you need to define "better." Do you mean mileage, HP, reliability, cost? If you use cars as a comparison and take price, reliability and mileage into consideration, then a motor made by Honda will outlast just about anything out there.

In addition, before you can continue, you need to break down your definition for all of the words above;
- High mileage: For me, that's more than 30k
- Reliability: This is based on how much money it cost to fix a problem. For me, anything more than $1,000
- Cost: tied in with the above response

Put some parameters on your question and it may help others answer your question.
post #4 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 03:52 AM

My 2 cents...

Honda almost certainly has a more reliable engine. If that's what you are after, better to ride a Honda, not an MV, not a Ducati, not an Aprilia, not a KTM. Honda is probably the most reliable bike available. And the CBR performs very well.

Now, put a CBR right next to an F4. Look at the engine, look at the frame, look at the forks, look at the swingarm, look at the brakes, look at the foot pegs, look at the dash, look at the body work. You immediately see why the MV is more expensive. There is just no comparison in terms of craftmanship, design, imagination, excitement, style, soul and quality of components.

Of course, you can make the same comparison between a Ferrari 458 Italia and a Toyota Camry. The Camry beats the Ferrari in reliability by a mile.
post #5 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 05:02 AM

The question is whether MV engines are better than Japanese ones? No they are not. In all aspects.

Sorry there is no excuse for a new engine (my case) to leak oil, coolant or overheat (this is a design issue too). Japanese bikes do not do that and they are better from the conceptual stage to completed piece. I visited a Japanese factory years ago and they have controlling procedures and practises that no one would imagine. Their production and planning is amazing. On the other hand I do not think an MV engine (if that is your worry) would just break down like that. There is quality in the whole design however there are some minor things which make it come 2nd place compared to Hondas and Suzukis etc

Now if looks, aesthetics and the wow factor come into place then MV is a better bike of course.

IMHO
P.

Last edited by PP1098; 12-01-2009 at 05:05 AM.
post #6 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 06:15 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
My 2 cents...

Honda almost certainly has a more reliable engine. If that's what you are after, better to ride a Honda, not an MV, not a Ducati, not an Aprilia, not a KTM. Honda is probably the most reliable bike available. And the CBR performs very well.

Now, put a CBR right next to an F4. Look at the engine, look at the frame, look at the forks, look at the swingarm, look at the brakes, look at the foot pegs, look at the dash, look at the body work. You immediately see why the MV is more expensive. There is just no comparison in terms of craftmanship, design, imagination, excitement, style, soul and quality of components.

Of course, you can make the same comparison between a Ferrari 458 Italia and a Toyota Camry. The Camry beats the Ferrari in reliability by a mile.
Couldn't put it better myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Keep one wheel down!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But...…..a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #7 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 06:42 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
Quote:
Originally Posted by PP1098 View Post
Sorry there is no excuse for a new engine (my case) to leak oil, coolant or overheat (this is a design issue too). Japanese bikes do not do that
Actually, that's not true. New Japanese bikes do in fact leak oil, burn main bearings, seize pistons...hell, I've seen a few con rods come apart from poorly torqued rod bolts resulting in large holes in the crankcases...granted very, very small percentage.

I would say that MV engines are every bit as reliable as a Honda engine.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #8 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 07:01 AM

I would say MV engines are not better than their equivalent Japanese counterpart, they are as powerful for sure, my mate still has an MV 1000, I am now on my second R1 after 3 MV’s,

Both of my R1’s have had extremely similar performance to his MV when we have performed a ‘roll on’ and I’m talking 50mph/6th gear to the other side of 170mph (on a track!) after that distance and speed the 09R1is less than 3 feet length in front and I’m talking my front wheel to his front wheel, my 08R1 was 3 feet behind his.

The MV engine is still a much older design than any Jap bike and I suspect in a higher state of tune std than the rest, if you look at hokums pictures you will see the MV’s Achilles heel, always has been for as long back as I can remember, it’s not ‘common’ for them to throw a connecting rod out, but it’s not unheard of either.

Design ways, try and find another bike engine still using a simplex cam chain or not running a ‘stacked’ gearbox for compactness (longer swing arm)

So to your question, the answer is ‘’NO’’…………..but that doesn’t make them bad either

And as for:

Japanese engines which don't even see a human hand in their assembly

There is very little difference if you search for video's of a Jap and an MV production line, basically the Japs just have more people

(This reply has not been checked for punctuation, grammar, or spelling mistakes and is devoid of any big long cleverwords or condescending manner)

MV's all gone now, still have a soft spot for MV's, waiting for MV to tick all my boxes again.
Previously (and about 40 others)748SP, S4, S4R, 98R1, 2000 F4, F41000S, F41000R, 08R1, 09R1, S1000RR, RSV4 Factory aPRC in Garage now

Last edited by mikef4uk; 12-01-2009 at 07:04 AM.
post #9 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 07:02 AM
Established Member

A Nissan Skyline would probably be more reliable than a Ferrari or a Maserati. Which one would you choose and why?
post #10 of 72 (permalink) Old 12-01-2009, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitcarbon View Post
A Nissan Skyline would probably be more reliable than a Ferrari or a Maserati. Which one would you choose and why?
It would really depend on what I wanted it for

(This reply has not been checked for punctuation, grammar, or spelling mistakes and is devoid of any big long cleverwords or condescending manner)

MV's all gone now, still have a soft spot for MV's, waiting for MV to tick all my boxes again.
Previously (and about 40 others)748SP, S4, S4R, 98R1, 2000 F4, F41000S, F41000R, 08R1, 09R1, S1000RR, RSV4 Factory aPRC in Garage now

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode