Best way to suspend front of bike to work on forks? - Page 2 - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 09:43 AM

Or, you could get the front up in the air somehow, and just pull the fairings and put jackstands under the engine cases on either side.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acruhl
Regular pine that you get at Home Depot. Screwed it together with drywall screws.

The only caveat on this is just to be smart about it. The A frame 2x4s are just touching the floor, and also just touching the bottom of the 2x6, which is flush with the shorty 2x4s holding the top of the A frame together.

What I'm getting at is try to get the most of the load going through the wood and not the screws.

I'm not 100% convinced this is a perfect design (I know nothing structural about wood), but I think it's fine for this job. There's not really that much weight on it after the forks and wheel come off.

It sat like this a few weeks while waiting for Thermosman to do the forks. No problems. I even worked on it and put on the rearsets while it was like this.
well...since you were wondering about the structure...you could eliminate the need for 2 different types of lumber (if purchasing and not using scrap of course). Using two 2x4's srewed together in lieu of the one 2x6. it would also be stronger. This is commonly used in headers and they also come prefab for larger spans like garage doors.
post #13 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 10:12 AM

I used a 8x8 beam, a aluminum A frame ladder and quality straps to lift the front. It needs to be a solid ladder not some kind of flimsy 20$ ladder you can get at home depot.

When my wife saw the ladder she was very excited because now we can do the painting and stuff like this in our house by ourselfs, so I don't know whether the ladder was a good idea.......
post #14 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewdog998
Using two 2x4's srewed together in lieu of the one 2x6. it would also be stronger. This is commonly used in headers and they also come prefab for larger spans like garage doors.
Good point, but I already had the 2x6 and it was close to the right length already...
post #15 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 11:53 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Cool- Thanks for the replies- I have a beam ovehead that is very sturdy.. I just need the straps.. I think I will get the webbing figure "8" type- I have a decent rear stand and I'll get something under the case..

Coleman.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #16 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 12:09 PM

ONE more tip.

Be sure to clean the forks really well, especially the cracks around the clamps with a brush or toothbush (preferably your wifes or childs)

Due to minimal clearance, a small piece of grit or sand can scratch the tubes (while passing through the clamps) during removal.

oops one more....make sure the moon is full as this will assist in lifting the bike.
post #17 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 07:24 PM

Not that it helps you guys in the US (anymore) but Casoli makes a front stand for the MV.
post #18 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-16-2006, 11:45 PM

Send a message via AIM to oicdn Send a message via Yahoo to oicdn
So...what if you want to tighten the steering stem nut...you don't want ANY force on the front forks/triple...do you just use the frame??? or, will using the lower triple to suspend it work out fine for tightening the steering nut (to remove play in the front end...)

Nate
Brutale S
Previously CLE #333 (hee hee, it rhymes!)
Buy some clothes:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by altoon
and the HUGE lower triple clamp. that thing is braced like king-kong at at a bondage party.
post #19 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 07:41 AM

Take off the tank, and there's a cross bar on the frame there. Hang it from above, once again. If you've got solid rearsets, you can put jack stands under them to reduce the amount of weight that you're holding from above, too.

There are special frame stands for this, but you still have to take the bodywork off, etc. They are nice because you don't have all this stuff in your way hanging from above if you use something like in my photos. But if you're hanging it from a beam from the ceiling, then it's not a big deal. I'd rather do that than use stands, myself. The stands are sort of just in the wrong place at times when you're trying to work.
post #20 of 35 (permalink) Old 08-17-2006, 07:45 AM

attach to the frame.

if the bike is hung from the lower triple then the stem is under pressure and therefore you will not get an accurate assesment of steering head play

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode