Reprogramming stock ECU? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Reprogramming stock ECU?

I'm reading all of the posts on race ECU's and kind help but wonder if you couldn't just have the stock ECU reprogrammed? I have the MV Corse item for my 1000R but at least from the outside, it looks identical except the sticker. Some shops also offer a race ECU only on exchange basis. Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 03:06 PM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
yes you can.....IF you have the computer software and know how. This is what FBF does when they sell you a "Race" ECU in exchange for your original.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 04:04 PM

Is the difference that the chip is soldered directly into the ECU and if so can you de-solder it and solder in a plug for a chip? Or do I have it entirely wrong?

B750 and B1078 RR both gone now.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."~Mark Twain
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-22-2009, 06:28 PM
Old Wing Nut

The 16M ECU has a reprogrammable and removable chip. It is a rather crude low power ECU.

The 5SM ECU on the newer bikes is a much more powerful processor. There is no removable chip. It is a sealed unit, but you can access the programming if you have the communication tools.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Thx guys. Just wondering then why there aren't any more shops other than FBF that do this. The price FBF is asking is very high, seems to me, for just a reprogramming gig. Any others wizzards in the field worth giving a try?
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 11:24 AM
You could just get a PCIII.

Keep one wheel down!

If you can't fix it with a hammer you've got an electrical problem!

No MV's in the garage anymore
but I pop in here from time to time
. Come to think of it I don't have a garage since the old one burnt down!
But.....a new one is currently rising from the ashes......watch this space!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john View Post
You could just get a PCIII.
Only up to 2007.

B750 and B1078 RR both gone now.

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."~Mark Twain
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-25-2009, 07:31 PM
Old Wing Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by linsler View Post
Thx guys. Just wondering then why there aren't any more shops other than FBF that do this. The price FBF is asking is very high, seems to me, for just a reprogramming gig. Any others wizzards in the field worth giving a try?

Because you have to buy the software and communication cable and actually know what you are doing.

There are guys out there who can do this, but it can be tricky with the EPA and tampering laws.

Who is it in the Midwest that has accessed the ECU programming? They posted an ignition chart for Lee if I remember?

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Just spoke to my dealer who said "Yes we can".

I know about a guy in Goes, Netherlands (currently in Belgium) reprograms race ECU's for Ducatis. Will give him a call but the Ducatisti tells me he charges 120 Euro to fix your glitches...I have heard worse. Will keep you posted if I find out anything new.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 11-28-2009, 11:28 AM

New Site Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by linsler View Post
Just spoke to my dealer who said "Yes we can".

I know about a guy in Goes, Netherlands (currently in Belgium) reprograms race ECU's for Ducatis. Will give him a call but the Ducatisti tells me he charges 120 Euro to fix your glitches...I have heard worse. Will keep you posted if I find out anything new.
Ah you are the one with Mexican plate I saw at zandvoort. Are you talking City dealer?
Probably you mean ruud frederiks van tovami, he has to my knowledge not doen anything yet on reprogramming 5sm ecu or microtec's for MV.
He did the PCIII on mikes 1078rr

4,5Mg~3Al~2Ti~Fe

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode