Crashed my MV Agusta F4 1000R at Jennings Today - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 11:39 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Crashed my MV Agusta F4 1000R at Jennings Today

Michelin Slicks today vs. Michelin Power Race PRD last month. 2 seconds slower. Difference was over-inflated rear tire (went with distributors recommendations of 28 psi rear cold pressure which was way too high). Also spent $80 with GMD Computrack and with "proper" setting went 2 seconds slower in the first few sessions than my own blind twiddling of the suspension last time. I did wick it up in the last session and took 4 seconds off the best morning times, but it obviously didn't end well. Thank God i just put on R&G front and rear sliders a couple days before. Saved the unpainted bodywork from major damage although the tail section got cracked but seems repairable. Looking forward to getting her patched up and taking my revenge on Jennings GP in Florida with yet another 4 seconds faster average lap time!

Bummer.

Trying to embed:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/_AqeIjsFcuI&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_AqeIjsFcuI&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

If that doesn't work here is the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AqeIjsFcuI

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 12:22 AM

just saw it, you had a couple of scary moments! but good to hear the bike is not to bad.
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 12:39 AM

A couple of scary moments. You had me convinced you were going down on the second "attempt" when you nicked the edge.

Glad to see you get up and walk away in the video. Some duct tape and some safety wire, and you'll be back out there.
post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 12:48 AM

Michelin slicks tire pressure

Quote:
Originally Posted by jng1226 View Post
Michelin Slicks today vs. Michelin Power Race PRD last month. 2 seconds slower. Difference was over-inflated rear tire (went with distributors recommendations of 28 psi rear cold pressure which was way too high)
Jeff,

I'm running Michelin slicks, (soft compound, front and rear), and had the same issue. I asked the distributor what pressure to run them at when warm, and he told me Michelin doesn't rate their tires for warm temp! Given that warm temp is what's important, I don't understand this, but that's their story and they're sticking to it. They told me 30 psi front and 28 psi rear, cold, and refused to give me a warm temp pressure.

I ignored them and went with 30 front and 28 rear, warm. This is working for me. The tires are holding their temp, and tire wear is even. Initially I was thinking about dropping 2 pounds in the rear, down to 26 warm, but I'm getting lots of grip at 28, so I'm staying with that.

Elton
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 03:08 AM

Gosh Jeff, happy to see you safe and sound as the bike, just a couple of aches and pains

Virtute Siderum Tenus
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 06:28 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrinflux View Post
Jeff,

I'm running Michelin slicks, (soft compound, front and rear), and had the same issue. I asked the distributor what pressure to run them at when warm, and he told me Michelin doesn't rate their tires for warm temp! Given that warm temp is what's important, I don't understand this, but that's their story and they're sticking to it. They told me 30 psi front and 28 psi rear, cold, and refused to give me a warm temp pressure.

I ignored them and went with 30 front and 28 rear, warm. This is working for me. The tires are holding their temp, and tire wear is even. Initially I was thinking about dropping 2 pounds in the rear, down to 26 warm, but I'm getting lots of grip at 28, so I'm staying with that.

Elton
Thanks guys for the support.

Elton - Thank you for confirming my suspicion about the Michelin slicks. Now, the front was perfect at 30 cold, 35 hot. Ended up going with 28 hot for the rear just as you have and had my tire warmers set to 175 F and kept them on every time I was pitted. I've heard that the characteristics of them is that they grip hard for a while, then when they're done there is no warning. I did 8, 15-minute sessions that day so perhaps the tires were done since the rear was a soft compound. There was visible wear on the left side as Jennings GP is primarily a left-turning track. However, with the huge suspension setting change that GMD Computrack did, who knows? It's really my fault, because I asked the GMD guys about my problems and they said I really needed new springs because I'm too heavy for the stock stuff. The advice was to pick up the bike and start the drive a little later. I guess I only know one way to ride, which is throttle right after apex.

Jeff
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 07:07 AM

tire talk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jng1226 View Post
Ended up going with 28 hot for the rear just as you have and had my tire warmers set to 175 F and kept them on every time I was pitted. I've heard that the characteristics of them is that they grip hard for a while, then when they're done there is no warning. I did 8, 15-minute sessions that day so perhaps the tires were done since the rear was a soft compound. There was visible wear on the left side as Jennings GP is primarily a left-turning track. However, with the huge suspension setting change that GMD Computrack did, who knows? It's really my fault, because I asked the GMD guys about my problems and they said I really needed new springs because I'm too heavy for the stock stuff. The advice was to pick up the bike and start the drive a little later. I guess I only know one way to ride, which is throttle right after apex.
Jeff,

I'm similarly situated. I too have been told that when Michelin slicks are done, they let go with no warning. I gotta say, this isn't exactly confidence inspiring. From what I've been told, Michelin slicks are good until the moment they're not, and this happens very suddenly. Because of this, racers running Michelins swap their tires out often, hoping to avoid tire failure.

I'm also running tire warmers at 175 F between each and every track session so that the entire track day is only one heat cycle. From what I've been told, reducing heat cycles is the key to maximizing tire life with Michelin slicks.

And I too have been told by my suspension guy that I need a new rear spring 'cause I'm too heavy for what I'm running. I bought my R6 from a guy who weighs 150lbs, and I'm 210lbs. I've got my preload set all the way out and I'm still 4mms lower in the rear than in the front! The bike is going to the shop on Saturday for a complete suspension sorting over the Winter.

And like you, my coach has told me to pick the bike up sooner or I'm gonna end up in the kitty litter. Part of my problem is that it just feels so gosh darned good to get a knee down that I leave it down longer than I should. Rather than powering out of the apex hard on the gas leaned over all the way, my coach is pushing me to pick the bike up sooner and roll on smoothly, thereby minimizing low/high side risk. I'm working on it.

I've done two track days with my Michelin soft compound slicks, (about 12 sessions), and they're wearing well. A bit more on the right side, which is normal given that Thunderbolt is mostly right turns, but all-in-all, pretty good with no cold tear or excessive wear. I'm thinking about flipping the rear, but I'm getting conflicting information. Some people are telling me I can flip Michelin slicks, other people are telling me you can only reverese the rear, and still others are telling me not to reverse either tire. What's you're thinking on this?

I made it through the season, (about ten track days), with no get-offs, so I'm either doing something right, or I'm not going fast enough, depending on who you ask. I did three lawn-drives this year, (thanks Dad, for buying me a dirt bike when I was ten! Invaluable experience when you ride off-track!), but managed to keep it up each time. I can't wait for March!

Elton

Last edited by mrinflux; 11-17-2009 at 09:08 AM.
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 08:16 AM

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrinflux View Post
Jeff,

I'm similarly situated. I too have been told that when Michelin slicks are done, they let go with no warning. I gotta say, this isn't exactly confidence inspiring. From what I've been told, Michelin slicks are good until the moment they're not, and this happens very suddenly. Because of this, racers running Michelins swap their tires out often, hoping to avoid tire failure.

I'm also running tire warmers at 175 between each and every track session so that the entire track day is only one heat cycle. From what I've been told, reducing heat cycles is the key to maximizing tire life with Michelin slicks.

And I too have been told by my suspension guy that I need a new rear spring 'cause I'm too heavy for what I'm running. I bought my R6 from a guy who weighs 150lbs, and I'm 210lbs. I've got my preload set all the way out and I'm still 4mms lower in the rear than in the front! The bike is going to the shop on Saturday for a complete suspension sorting over the Winter.

And like you, my coach has told me to pick the bike up sooner or I'm gonna end up in the kitty litter. Part of my problem is that it just feels so gosh darned good to get a knee down that I leave it down longer than I should. Rather than powering out of the apex hard on the gas leaned over all the way, my coach is pushing me to pick the bike up sooner and roll on smoothly, thereby minimizing low/high side risk. I'm working on it.

I've done two track days with my Michelin soft compound slicks, (about 12 sessions), and they're wearing well. A bit more on the right side, which is normal given that Thunderbolt is mostly right turns, but all-in-all, pretty good with no cold tear or excessive wear. I'm thinking about flipping the rear, but I'm getting conflicting information. Some people are telling me I can flip Michelin slicks, other people are telling me you can only reverese the rear, and still others are telling me not to reverse either tire. What's you're thinking on this?

I made it through the season, (about ten track days), with no get-offs, so I'm either doing something right, or I'm not going fast enough, depending on who you ask. I did three lawn-drives this year, (thanks Dad for buying me a dirt bike when I was ten! Invaluable experience when you ride off-track!), but managed to keep it up each time. I can't wait for March!

Elton

Elton, congratulations are in order. This must be your first post that is not infested with well-meant political content.

Btw, did you watch Sarah on Oprah?????

Nulla tenaci invia est via
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 09:26 AM

TV and politics and the magazines Sarah reads

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF4Black View Post
Did you watch Sarah on Oprah?
Mike,

No, I missed it. I don't have cable, so I only watch TV when I'm at somebody else's house, and then, (since it's their house), I have to watch what they want to watch! Go figure! I find this very annoying, (after all, since I don't have TV at home, you'd think people would let me watch what I want to watch!), but I also understand that the obvious solution is for me to get cable.

Actually, I see the TV as little more than a proganda dissemination device, so it holds little interest for me other than to learn what lies the other side is spreading. And anyway, I spend so much time on here arguing politics with you guys that even if I had cable, there'd be no time left to watch it.

So what did Ms. Palin say on Oprah? What pearls of wisdom did she share with the world? I have to say, I think she's hot, so she gets some milage on looks alone. But I think we can all agree that the woman is dumber than a box of hair. It's hard to get past that.

Elton

Last edited by mrinflux; 11-17-2009 at 09:43 AM.
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 09:28 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
She was shocked that her teenage daughter was sexually active.....

Back on topic:

Sorry to hear you crashed your MV...Happy it wasn't bad and you aren't hurt.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode