Leaking coolant - 1000 Senna - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 10:22 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Send a message via Skype™ to AinsleyHenderson
Leaking coolant - 1000 Senna

Spent all of last week stripping down and cleaning my Senna. Put it back together and took it out on my favorite twisty road. About an hour after starting out I notice a fine spray of coolant on the inside of the faring scree high up about 2 inches from the edge closest to the rider. There was no sign of it coming from the tank near the stering head, and the temperature did not vary, and actually went down as long as I did not go under 35mph (60 kph).

When I got home, I stripped the faring of, and found coolant all over the left side around the main inlet hose, and the running down over the left side of the engine and the inside of fairing. The fine spray of coolant continued but only a couple more time, almost in tandem with hitting any serious bumps on the road.

I could not see any splits in the radiatior or associated hoses. Any suggestions on what is causing the leak would be appreciated.

Thanks
Ainsley

Ainsley Henderson
2006 F4 1000 Senna #84/300
2013 Bimota DB8SP
2004 Ducati 999R #251
2010 BMW S1000RR
2015 Aprilia RSV4 RF Superpole #292/500
2016 BMW K1600 GTL Exclusive
2009 BMW R1200RT (sold)
2003 Ducati 999s (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-15-2009, 11:15 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to theknurl
leak

click clamp isn't tight enough..... replace it with a screw type clamp or even a Corbin clamp

Noel-theknurl
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 12:00 AM

You could idle the bike in your garage with the fairing off. Let it get up to temp and see where the coolant sprays out.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 12:09 AM

Ainsley, there is a weak spot on the top of the radiator and only leaks when on the gas. easy fix is to get the top part of the radiator isolated, mine cost me $70.00

Or do a search there is shit loads on the forum on leaky radiators.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 01:36 AM
Established Member

Ainsley,

As the Senna is mechanically idendical to the F4 1000R, I suspect you have a broken radiator (they break at the top next to the left side mount). Mine broke and I never successfully welded it - it just kept propogating, so I ended up buying on of the modified MV units nd have had no problems since.

Hopefully it's just a lose hose.

The easiest way to find a leak is with a radiator pressure tester.

Andrew...

PS I saw you yesterday, that was me on the Ducati that gave you the thumbs-up as we entered the Pacific Highway heading back towards Sydney (I still have the MV and the wife also still has hers - but she is away at the moment). O'h and yeah, boy those Bodis pipes of yours sure are loud.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
Established Member

Send a message via Skype™ to AinsleyHenderson
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew View Post
Ainsley,

As the Senna is mechanically idendical to the F4 1000R, I suspect you have a broken radiator (they break at the top next to the left side mount). Mine broke and I never successfully welded it - it just kept propogating, so I ended up buying on of the modified MV units nd have had no problems since.

Hopefully it's just a lose hose.

The easiest way to find a leak is with a radiator pressure tester.

Andrew...

PS I saw you yesterday, that was me on the Ducati that gave you the thumbs-up as we entered the Pacific Highway heading back towards Sydney (I still have the MV and the wife also still has hers - but she is away at the moment). O'h and yeah, boy those Bodis pipes of yours sure are loud.

Andrew,

Many thanks for the advice. I think I will take the bike to Motorcycle Weaponary aand have them do it. I recall you and the Duc in particular - magnificant. I was nursing the bike home on Sunday when you went past. I had been blasting up the Old Road, and on to Kulnara when it starting hosing the inside of the faring screen.

The Bodis pipes are very loud, but when the bike is at full noise, it just sounds awesome. The tuning work done by Motorcycle Weaponary has really brought out the best in the bike.

Safe riding and would like to catch up.

Cheers

Ainsley

Ainsley Henderson
2006 F4 1000 Senna #84/300
2013 Bimota DB8SP
2004 Ducati 999R #251
2010 BMW S1000RR
2015 Aprilia RSV4 RF Superpole #292/500
2016 BMW K1600 GTL Exclusive
2009 BMW R1200RT (sold)
2003 Ducati 999s (sold)
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-17-2009, 11:58 AM

I had those I had the same issue...in fact mine would be even worse...when the temps would go up with the stock coolant it would hit like 220s in 100 degree weather and the temp would drop back down to say 180s because of proper riding...and then say we would stop and pull over to take a breather...I would see the coolant leaking out of the bottom fairing...and form a little puddle at the bottom. It all was very unnerving but it went away after I swapped it all out with water wetter. There was a leak somewhere but I guess draining the system and cleaning it out with vinegar solution and then putting water wetter coolant in it sorted it all out. The machine runs like a champ now. I could not be happier with my Senna.

2007 Senna #148/300
2012 Aprilia RSV4 Factory APRC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode