Hey...actual question despite new F4 - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Hey...actual question despite new F4

what are the two metal cables that connect to the right throttle next to each other right on top of the choke? I noticed that the dual adjuster screws (on both cables) were loose...and I am not sure what I would be adjusting (if anything) when srewing them back. is it just part of the choke mechanism?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 10:57 PM

Sounds like you're describing the throttle cables. Be careful adjusting them, or get someone who knows a bit more to assist you.

B4 750S [sold]
B3 675R [waiting]
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazer6 View Post
Sounds like you're describing the throttle cables. Be careful adjusting them, or get someone who knows a bit more to assist you.
I am pretty sure you are right...but adjusting them did not seem to change any throttle behavior (at least not at the adjustment level that I made). using the two silver wheels of each throttle cable...is there a certain position that is correct or incorrect (your advice to not fiddle is too late, since I was too curious not to fiddle)
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 11:17 PM

They should be snug, but not so tight that when you turn the bars lock-to-lock it activates the throttle.
Basically they're there to allow you to adjust how much the throttle tube turns before activating the throttle, and to adjust for cable stretch over time.

Personally, I like to have zero 'free' travel in rotating the throttle, but typical would be 5-10 degrees or so.

B4 750S [sold]
B3 675R [waiting]
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
They should be snug, but not so tight that when you turn the bars lock-to-lock it activates the throttle.
Basically they're there to allow you to adjust how much the throttle tube turns before activating the throttle, and to adjust for cable stretch over time.

Personally, I like to have zero 'free' travel in rotating the throttle, but typical would be 5-10 degrees or so.
OK...so basically my observation that I have to turn the throttle pretty far before the bike seems to get the gas, can be adjusted with this. I would also prefer zero 'free' travel, assuming we are talking about the same thing. is zero free travel equivalent to "tight" cable settings?
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 11:23 PM

Right.

Just make sure you can turn the bars lock to lock without making the engine rev--best checked with the bike running on the stand in neutral.

B4 750S [sold]
B3 675R [waiting]
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2009, 11:29 PM Thread Starter
Established Member

Quote:
Right.

Just make sure you can turn the bars lock to lock without making the engine rev--best checked with the bike running on the stand in neutral.
nice...glad I asked. Not only did I learn something but I can adjust away a marginal annoyance. thanks for the help
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 04:16 AM
Established Member

It seems that a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2009, 10:57 AM
Old Wing Nut

Send a message via Skype™ to esq'z me
One cable pulls the throttles open...the other pulls the throttle closed. Adjust the opening cable for minimal free play first (with close cable loose). Then just take the slack out of the close cable but leave a bit of free play. You can see this slack at the throttle bodies where the cables are attached.

I used to be fast....now I just dream about it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'08 910R (Gina), '04 F4 SPR #275 Track Bike (Lola), YSR50 (The Rabbit), '71 CB100 (Lil' Red), '75 RD350C (Orange Bird) restoration project, 2015 Indian Chieftain (Rita) my "low-n-slow", '70 Suzuki F50 (Baby Blue), 2018 Suzuki GSX-S750L8 (Susie Q)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode