Not having a good day - stripped allen bolt holding the rearset to the frame - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 06:29 PM Thread Starter

Not having a good day - stripped allen bolt ... [UPDATE! How I got it out!]

I figured today was a good day to accomplish the seemingly small task of adjusting my rearsets down a bit. Started on the right, no problem.
Moved to the left and the bottom bolt wouldn't budge. I hit it with the torch to take care of any loc-tite, made sure the allen was in there real good and used a cheater bar and rounded out the inside of the bolt.
Fricken wonderful.
I figured at this point I would just try to get a wrench in there to try to adjust it on the bike. I got the adjustment bolt loosed, but found out that the bottom bolt needs to be loose too, to adjust.
Doubly fricken wonderful.
So now I put my right side back where it was, so I can at least ride the stupid thing.

Crappy day. I guess I'm going to have to drill out that bolt and try to find a place that carries that one bolt. Anyone know if that bolt is the same as some other bolt on the bike (interchangeable)? Anyone have one laying around?

Maybe I should stop working on my own bike and just let the dealer worry about all this crap.

Last edited by cryptyk; 08-18-2006 at 10:25 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 06:50 PM
Established Member

Send a message via MSN to Notto
Thats a bummer. Dont let it keep you from working on your bike though.
As the saying goes, shit happens.
It happens to everybody from time to time.

The bolt will be easy to replace. Its a standard metric size that you can get at hardware stores. Just make sure you get stainless.

Good luck
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 07:35 PM

A bike isn't truely yours unless you work on it yourself, at least a little. I'm all for taking bikes into the dealer, but taking it in to adjust rearsets seems a little overboard.com
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 08:08 PM Thread Starter

Yea, Id never *actually* stop doing my own work on my vehicles, but some days I sure feel like it. =)

I'm buying some kit from emoto this week anyways, and I just emailed them to see if they stock this bolt. Hopefully they have it. If not, the guy at pasomotor.com has been good to me about letting me order individual parts like this.
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 09:23 PM

Been there, done that. Stripped the socket out on the same bolt the day after I got the bike. I had the dealer order a couple more just so the coloring would match, but in the meantime they replaced it with a cadmium plated bolt from a Yamaha. When the "genuine MV" bolts arrived, I replaced the "silver" Yamaha with the "gold" MV part. You'd think they really were 14k gold plated given the price difference. I can send you the Yamaha bolt if you are here in the states. Or you could just pick one up at any MC shop probably.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 09:28 PM
Pimp of posts

Send a message via AIM to spalding12 Send a message via MSN to spalding12 Send a message via Yahoo to spalding12
one day i'll get the confidence to do more work on my own bikes.
i might be mechanically minded around the house...
but, in the garage... i'm a bit anxious that i'll make some grave error... not sure why

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

Greg
Clearwater, FL USA

'07 Brutale 910R
'07 BMW K1200GT

live like you mean it...
but take your family and friends along for the "ride"
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-12-2006, 10:38 PM Thread Starter

Falco. I'll probably go pick one up tomorrow. There is a yammy dealer right down the street. Do you remember what bike it the yamaha part came off, and what part it was on that bike? Just so I don't have to go in with the bolt and have them randomly start looking through parts...

Spalding. You should try with something small first. The biggest thing is to remember to take your time, and enjoy it. Also, there is nothing like having the right tools. It just doesn't make sense to work on a 20-something thousand dollar bike trying to take bolts off with pliers, etc. I'm constantly making trips to the store to get more tools so I have exactly what I need =-)

thanks guys.
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 12:09 AM

Huh, I rounded the same bolt today too!
I was going to remove the right rear-set for my mid-pipe install, but the lower bolt wouldn't budge. Just removed the heal plate and worked around it.
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 02:53 AM
Established Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by falcopilot
Been there, done that. Stripped the socket out on the same bolt the day after I got the bike. I had the dealer order a couple more just so the coloring would match, but in the meantime they replaced it with a cadmium plated bolt from a Yamaha. When the "genuine MV" bolts arrived, I replaced the "silver" Yamaha with the "gold" MV part. You'd think they really were 14k gold plated given the price difference. I can send you the Yamaha bolt if you are here in the states. Or you could just pick one up at any MC shop probably.
That's exactly what I did, I had to tak my bike to the yamaha shop about a month ago after the same thing happened. I gave the mechanic a couple of euros and he drilled it out and replaced it during his lunch break. I didn't post anything here at the time as I was far too embarrased with my cack handedness.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-13-2006, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptyk
Falco. I'll probably go pick one up tomorrow. There is a yammy dealer right down the street. Do you remember what bike it the yamaha part came off, and what part it was on that bike? Just so I don't have to go in with the bolt and have them randomly start looking through parts...
I had the bike back in the shop the next day for two other problems, hesitating off-idle and stalling. The tech replaced the bolt for me while it was in shop. He got it out of the parts room. Anyway, the spares I've got here look to be 8 mm diameter with a length of 25 mm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode