dne' with a ? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 05:19 PM Thread Starter

dne' with a ?

HI, I'm dne', and I live in Houston, Tx. I joined this site cause I have a question or two about a 2000 MV Agusta F4 of which I'm interested in. It has ~ 10k miles on it. It's about a 3 hour drive to go look at it, I'm retired and that's no big deal. Is there any thing that I should be aware of when looking at this particular bike? I've had many sportbikes, but I'm intrigued by the looks and sound of this bike! I do have another issue~ I have a tailbone problem and vibration bothers me alot! The forward position will be good(I had a '97 Ducati 917) as it takes pressure off of my tailbone, but vibration? Do these bikes have a lot of vibration? I looked at a BMW R1200s(test drive in the photo), but it had a pretty strong vibration, so I read about the Agusta's and they were considered to have a really smooth engine/ride, etc. I don't want to give up bikes : (
dne'

Last edited by Dne'; 09-01-2009 at 05:32 PM. Reason: grammar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 05:41 PM

Welcome
The inline4 is a smooth running engine but can have a slight vibration at low rpm, but nothing compared to a v-twin. The F4 is a sport bike so you may get more feed back coming through the stiffer suspension that other bikes. I'm not familiar with the 750, as I have a 1000, but when I sit in a normal riding position, there is little to no pressure on the tailbone. You should really sit on/ride it to verify it that is won't be uncomfortable riding.

Good Luck
post #3 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 06:05 PM Thread Starter

Thank you both for your opinions! I guess I'll just have to take a ride to Austin and take it for a test drive! The dealer/owner of the bike is nice enough to allow a test drive! I don't ride aggresively~ generally like to take a Sunday morning ride for about an hour or so, then I'm happy!
Can you think of anything off the top of your heads that I should be suspicious of while checking this bike over? A guy I spoke with in California said something about the rear axle bearing, should be no slop when grabbing the wheel and trying to make it move. He said is a very expensive repair! Well, back to the TV! lol
dne'
post #4 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 06:29 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Tailbone?

Welcome aboard.
post #5 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 06:40 PM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
On a more serious note, the early F4s, because of the angle of the clip ons, leave you pretty pitched forward. If you find the riding position extreme you can buy after market risers.

The repair the guy in CA was referring to was the bearing in the hub wearing out. It can be an expensive repair, but does not have to be. Check the chain tension. If it is too tight, look closer at the rear hub. Look at the two bolts on the back of the swing arm. Although not a guarantee, if the paint marks on the bolts line up with the paint marks on the swing arm the hub may never have been moved lessening the chance there will be a rear bearing problem.

At around 10,000 miles it is coming up on a major service which is expensive. If it has not been done yet factor that into the price.

Look for the obvious signs the bike has be down. Scuffed front brake and clutch levers, scuffed bar ends, the tell tale silver streak on the mid frame plates, etc.
post #6 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 06:45 PM

Welcome , some sound advice here.

B4 750S [sold]
B3 675R [waiting]
post #7 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 07:08 PM

Welcome Dne',
The riding position of the F4 is definitely not going to place pressure on your tailbone. And I'm sure you will find that the vibrations are significantly less than that of the Ducati. I'm not sure about the 2000 model, however the suspension setup on the newer ones seem to be quite stiff/harsh, which you might want to look at softening a little to absorb a few more bumps.
Good luck with your search..........
Hope to see you on here soon showing off your new F4!!!

post #8 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 07:30 PM
Big Randaddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenaugo View Post
.....although I cannot see you 'tailbone' I am sure it is a fine one

Geeeze guys, a nice new lady member, and we act immediately like hounds. It doesn't matter that we are hounds, we ought to hide it for at least a couple of posts, don't you think?

910R, S4RS Monster,'78 BMW R100S, Heritage Softail, Chrome V-Rod, Sportster 48, Kawasaki Concours 1400, '07 Ultra Classic with sidecar, yellow Vespa LX 150, a cool little Ruckus, and a very understanding wife........

Last edited by Randarosa; 09-01-2009 at 07:57 PM.
post #9 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 07:40 PM

Hello and Welcome !!! Please don't let the guys scare you. They are a really nice bunch and if you will buy your MV you will see that they can actually by usefull. As far as F4 - 750 , if the price is right go for it. I would advice for 2002 and up which has a little more horsepower and updated engine . You can find a really clean one's if you look around . If you do end up with 2000 model just make sure you get all service records if there are any. Have someone competent to check the bike over and allways have a reputable MV dealer service your bike. You'll be fine.
post #10 of 60 (permalink) Old 09-01-2009, 07:58 PM Thread Starter

Nicolino, its ok! it's kind of fun being teased a bit! lol Howerver, Cag, you got my attention on the full service thing!! What could they(the dealer or mechanic) do that would cost so much?? I'll be sure to ask the owner tomorrow of what's been done to the bike, maybe that's why they're selling it! oh, the photo below is a more recent photo of Muah, standing in front of my project that I've been working on for 2 years! Does the bike I'm looking at have a timing belt like the Duc's? I can do maintenance, like oil changes, simple stuff(unless Agusta's are difficult?) Again, I won't be riding all the time, just now and then. The link is below of the bike in question. IF ya'll have some questions that I can ask the owner, please make put some questions down! Thank ya'll so much for your advice and help!
dne'

http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/1333495452.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode