Overheating finally blew the radiator - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Overheating finally blew the radiator

Well - this was bound to happen. Regularly running 105 degrees celsius in slow traffic (or stopped at a light) was bound to put a lot of pressure - literally - on the cooling system and a couple of days ago a hairline crack in a tube nicely dowsed the bike in coolant.

Yes, I tried most known remedies to get the temperature down:

1. Using water wetter
2. Replaced the cat mid-pipe with a open one
3. Replaced the stock fans with Muzzy blades
4. Added a separate fan controller to activate one of the fans at 88 degrees celsius

None of them make a real difference at higher ambient temps (>85 degrees fahrenheit) and slower speeds (<45mph)

Anyway, unless the radiator can be fixed, I'm in the market for a replacement. I sure don't want to go and buy a stock one.

Would anybody know of a source for aftermarket (racing) radiators for and '07 F4?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 10:02 PM

Search for "cracked radiator"--It's more likely due to a mounting issue than heat, and it may be covered under warranty, even if yours is expired.

B4 750S [sold]
B3 675R [waiting]
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 10:47 PM

yeah, cracked radiator may not be from high temp. I hit 136C with the old cdi and no fan and she spilled most of her coolant through the overflow pipe, but didn't crack. the weather here is 34C and humid so it doesn't help cool anything. With the new cdi the stock fan kicks in at 95C so things reach a max of about 105C and all is well. Good luck things.
post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 01:08 AM Thread Starter

Interesting idea, but pretty unlikely, I think. The upper radiator is flexibly mounted in rubber grommets - there simply isn't any stress on it as it moves freely when I push it around.

On the other hand, the thin tubes are susceptible to high pressure and the bike has more than once run up into >225.

By the way, does anyone know where to get one of those tools for the crimp style hose clamps used on the MV? It's that or cutting them off :-)
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 01:18 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to The_castle
I use a small plain screwdriver to undo the clamps and a set of needle nose pliers to put them back on.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 01:20 AM
Established Member

The tool is called a CLIC-R Plier and a search of ebay or generally on the web should find them. Glenn
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 06:36 AM
CAG

Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhpcto View Post
Interesting idea, but pretty unlikely, I think. The upper radiator is flexibly mounted in rubber grommets - there simply isn't any stress on it as it moves freely when I push it around.

On the other hand, the thin tubes are susceptible to high pressure and the bike has more than once run up into >225.

By the way, does anyone know where to get one of those tools for the crimp style hose clamps used on the MV? It's that or cutting them off :-)
You would be surprised.

There have been a couple of threads about cracked radiators and MV have determined it is a design flaw and replaced them.

You missed two of the best modifications that are guaranteed to help your overheating problem.

The fan switch was a good idea, but you need for the switch to control a third fan. (See the fanzilla thread)

Buy the new improved water impeller from Vesvio or from an MV Dealer, or maybe some of our other sponsors have it and install that.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
You would be surprised.

There have been a couple of threads about cracked radiators and MV have determined it is a design flaw and replaced them.

You missed two of the best modifications that are guaranteed to help your overheating problem.

The fan switch was a good idea, but you need for the switch to control a third fan. (See the fanzilla thread)

Buy the new improved water impeller from Vesvio or from an MV Dealer, or maybe some of our other sponsors have it and install that.
Thanks Cag... Yes i can vouch for the third fan.
See Fanzilla and Fanzilla (son of).

MV have upgraded their radiators. Pity it's evident even on the new models that they are not up to scratch.

You can see the increased strength in these welds on the new improved version.
Attached Images

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 11:39 AM

Yes, I had two cracked radiator in the upper left section. There was an updated radiator release around August 2008.

I doubt it's do to running hot. I think hitting a speed bumb/dip, potholes, or maybe very hard braking may be the cause. Add hard landing from wheelies if you're into that too. In my case, I remember scratching my belly pan on a speed dip about a week before I started noticing the telltale signs of coolant splattering on the windscreen.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-17-2009, 12:09 PM Thread Starter

I love the F4 - it's a great handling bike, but to add a radiator design issue to the already dismal cooling system implementation is not what I was looking for. I'll take the radiator to a shop tomorrow to see what can be done.

I did follow the 3rd fan discussion and decided not to do it because another fan, unless it's basically running all the time, will actually limit airflow through the radiator even more. And the idea of three fans spinning at a stop light - it'll sound like a hovercraft taking off

I hope that upgrading the pump will actually do the job.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode