New F4 1000R Owner - MVAgusta.net
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 10:54 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
BlueAgave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 36
New F4 1000R Owner

I have always been an adventure tour type rider. When I take off for a ride it's usually for at least 4 days, currently either on my KTM 990 Adventure or BMW X Challenge. I was hanging out waiting for a service to be completed on my Brutale at Motocorsa "Local Ducati/MV dealer a few weeks back when an older gentleman showed up on an F4 for service. This guy was from Alaska and was on his way down to Laguna. This got me all stirred up as I had never considered "Superbike" ownership before simply because I never thought these bikes could go anywhere and were designed for the track. After talking with this guy for a while my mind was made up, I was gonna get myself an F4! Yesterday morning I bought a brand new left over 07 F4 1000R. I will take delivery sometime next week as it's in transit from the east coast. My questions are for the guys who do some distance riding on these machines. First, do you guys make any quick mods to make things a bit more comfortable for all day riding, bar risers, custom seat, etc...? Zumo GPS mounts available? Do you guys use any kind of tank bag, tail bag, etc? I plan to put major miles on this machine, anything I need to look at as far as daily maintenance goes while on the road besides the obvious? What kind of mileage are you seeing out of a tank of fuel, mpg? I'm planning to get my 600 mile service a couple days after receiving the bike and hitting the road!
BlueAgave is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 11:00 AM
Senior Member
 
fazer6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Tempe, AZ, USA
Posts: 8,920
Welcome and Congrats!

You'll find everything you need here, just start with the "Search" button.

B4 750S [sold]
B3 675R [waiting]
fazer6 is offline  
post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 01:51 PM
CAG
Senior Member
 
CAG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Home. In Dixie.
Posts: 13,695
Send a message via Skype™ to CAG
Welcome aboard.
CAG is offline  
post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 02:47 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Santa Fe, NM
Posts: 917
Welcme, and I salute your ambition!
mrossk is offline  
post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 03:50 PM
Senior Member
 
mikef4uk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chester UK
Posts: 5,193
Hi,

A couple of things that made a real difference to my 1000R and 1000S and 750 before that! the seat responds very well to a little extra padding and it's easy to do as the seat cover is only stapled on.

Remove the cover and the preformed foam under it, take some quite sturdy foam about 1/2 an inch thick and stick it to the seat base then cut it with a bread knife and shamfer it off to nothing at the sides ( untill the only bit that is still 1/2 inch is a strip in the middle about two inches wide) refit the original padding over the top and the cover, it works very well as it lifts the centre of the seat to support your bum instead of your weight sitting on the outside edges of the seat.

Second thing I did was drop the footrest hangers down at 45 degrees about an inch, no more or braking/gear changes become difficult, I made some brackets up out of about 8mm aluminum plate, with these two mods I could go 200/300 miles each day easy,

The guy from Alaska, was he in his later years with abig white beard and go by te name of John?

Tank range to fuel light was about 110mile if your pushing on down the twisties,and 150 ish when I was running the bike in

(This reply has not been checked for punctuation, grammar, or spelling mistakes and is devoid of any big long cleverwords or condescending manner)


MV's all gone now, still have a soft spot for MV's, waiting for MV to tick all my boxes again.
Previously (and about 40 others)748SP, S4, S4R, 98R1, 2000 F4, F41000S, F41000R, 08R1, 09R1, S1000RR, RSV4 Factory aPRC in Garage now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by mikef4uk; 08-15-2009 at 03:57 PM.
mikef4uk is offline  
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
New Member
 
BlueAgave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikef4uk View Post
Hi,

A couple of things that made a real difference to my 1000R and 1000S and 750 before that! the seat responds very well to a little extra padding and it's easy to do as the seat cover is only stapled on.

Remove the cover and the preformed foam under it, take some quite sturdy foam about 1/2 an inch thick and stick it to the seat base then cut it with a bread knife and shamfer it off to nothing at the sides ( untill the only bit that is still 1/2 inch is a strip in the middle about two inches wide) refit the original padding over the top and the cover, it works very well as it lifts the centre of the seat to support your bum instead of your weight sitting on the outside edges of the seat.

Second thing I did was drop the footrest hangers down at 45 degrees about an inch, no more or braking/gear changes become difficult, I made some brackets up out of about 8mm aluminum plate, with these two mods I could go 200/300 miles each day easy,

The guy from Alaska, was he in his later years with abig white beard and go by te name of John?

Tank range to fuel light was about 110mile if your pushing on down the twisties,and 150 ish when I was running the bike in
Thanks for the warm welcome guys! I will be looking at doing that seat mod for sure. I was thinking of sending it down to Renazco Racing for the extra padding and a nice suede cover. James has built me many custom seats and does beautiful work. I will most likely put your idea to use for the rest of the summer and send the seat off when the weather turns as it takes a few weeks. Nice idea on the pegs as well, I'm not used to riding in such an aggressive position, so I was going to take the first 600 miles to see what parts of my body are falling asleep! I figure if I can ride 12-14 hour days on my 990, I can certainly ride a solid 7 on the F4.... Yep, white beard,later years, John, that's the guy!! He had fabricated a really neat storage compartment out of the rear cowl, I wish I had taken a picture....
BlueAgave is offline  
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 04:58 PM
Senior Member
 
Harvey's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Bridgend Wales
Posts: 1,470
I actually find my F4 more comfotable on a longish run (about 200 miles all twisties) than the Honda Pan that I used to ride - mostly due to the way my weight is carried on the thighs rather than through the end of my spine.

I usually get about 120miles per tank on the twists, a bit less than that on the Isle of Man during TT week Don't be afraid of the position until you've ridden it for a good bit - mine is standard plus a hugger, including the original trap-thumb bars (my luggage for the TT's was hidden on the back of my mate's BMW )
Harvey is offline  
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-15-2009, 06:40 PM
Senior Member
 
jomarti1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,136
I find the F4 a lot more confortable than my previous R1. It feels like made to my fit.
jomarti1 is offline  
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 10:13 AM Thread Starter
New Member
 
BlueAgave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harvey View Post
I actually find my F4 more comfotable on a longish run (about 200 miles all twisties) than the Honda Pan that I used to ride - mostly due to the way my weight is carried on the thighs rather than through the end of my spine.

I usually get about 120miles per tank on the twists, a bit less than that on the Isle of Man during TT week Don't be afraid of the position until you've ridden it for a good bit - mine is standard plus a hugger, including the original trap-thumb bars (my luggage for the TT's was hidden on the back of my mate's BMW )
It's very interesting to hear you say this. About a month ago I fractured my Sacrum and have been unable to ride while things heal up. 10 days ago I tried to hop on the 990 and it was a no go, but when I took an F4 out for a spin a couple days back I felt no pressure to the area. It's nice as I read thru this forum to see people are actually riding these bikes. One thing that troubled more than anything while shopping over the last month was the lack of miles on all the bikes I was seeing for sale. Here in town I don 't think I came across an F4 with over 4000 miles going back to 05. The day I purchased my bike I was actually looking at another which was an 05 1000R with 300 miles!

In search of the worlds best Margarita...
BlueAgave is offline  
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 08-16-2009, 03:37 PM
Senior Member
 
mikef4uk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chester UK
Posts: 5,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueAgave View Post
Thanks for the warm welcome guys! I will be looking at doing that seat mod for sure. I was thinking of sending it down to Renazco Racing for the extra padding and a nice suede cover. James has built me many custom seats and does beautiful work. I will most likely put your idea to use for the rest of the summer and send the seat off when the weather turns as it takes a few weeks. Nice idea on the pegs as well, I'm not used to riding in such an aggressive position, so I was going to take the first 600 miles to see what parts of my body are falling asleep! I figure if I can ride 12-14 hour days on my 990, I can certainly ride a solid 7 on the F4.... Yep, white beard,later years, John, that's the guy!! He had fabricated a really neat storage compartment out of the rear cowl, I wish I had taken a picture....

John Markis............you'll find him on the mv agusta yahoo board, which was one of the first boards, not as good as this one though!! John has had an MV since 2000, a great bloke, a real good engineer and clever bloke

(This reply has not been checked for punctuation, grammar, or spelling mistakes and is devoid of any big long cleverwords or condescending manner)


MV's all gone now, still have a soft spot for MV's, waiting for MV to tick all my boxes again.
Previously (and about 40 others)748SP, S4, S4R, 98R1, 2000 F4, F41000S, F41000R, 08R1, 09R1, S1000RR, RSV4 Factory aPRC in Garage now
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mikef4uk is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome