MV Agusta Forum banner

Headlight Switch Question?

3K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  andrew 
#1 ·
Earlier this year I imported my 2000 model 750 F4S from Ireland to Australia, and to comply with Australian regulations, I need the headlights to stay on whilst the bike is on. At the moment I have the three way headlight switch (off/parking-lights/headlights), but rather than rewiring my existing setup so the lights stay on, I was planning to buy a later model switch off a 05/06 model (I believe they changed the way they work internally in 07 with the new ecu). Does anyone know if this is a "plug & play" option and if it will solve my problem (ie. are the two switches interchangeable or are the different bikes wired differently)?
:idea:

#2 ·
if it can be changed with one from a brutale S '06, I'll trade you!

#3 ·
It sounds like Australia and the US have the same regulations, i.e. headlight on when the bike is running. If that is the case any US switch would work, even one from an early F4.

The switches on the Brutales have the new look, but are wired the same as the earlier switches. If you want one of the flat gray switches to match your ignition switch, you need one from an early F4.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replies and thanks for the offer Tokyo. I'll probably keep on to the old switch for now, then decide whether or not to put it back on after I get compliance, because I prefer to be able to turn the lights off and may do a few track days where that would come in handy. If I decide not to keep it I'll let you know. :)

CAG are the later switches gloss black rather than flat grey? I don't really mind if it's not an exact match, because my F4 is far from original, just so long as it works and fulfills the compliance requirement. :naughty:

By the way, on the bikes with always-on lights, is it just the parking lights that stay on or the main headlight? Also, do the lights only stay on when the engine is running or do they come on with the ignition or kill switch? :confused:

#6 ·
Thanks Fazer - strange indeed! :wtf:

So is there any use for the parking lights at all? Do they only come on alone when you turn the ignition lock the extra notch so they can flatten the battery whilst the steering is locked and the bike parked? I was hoping the lights would only come on when the engine was running, rather than drawing current when starting, but... :blah:

Does anyone here know if it's the same setup on MVs made for Australian ADR compliance?

#7 ·
My bike (Euro3....2008 in USA) low beam does not come on until the engine is running.

#11 ·
Klaas-Jan: Thanks for the suggestion, but I'll probably stick with the plug & play OEM MV switch block. :)

Snohman: That's interesting - thanks. I'm pretty sure that in SA post-95 bikes are required to have the headlight wired to stay on, so I assumed that was an Australian standard, not a state regulation, but I'll double check that. I take it your bike is ADR/Australian spec and not a personal import? What year is yours?

#12 ·
mine's an '02 and not a personal import ( i brought it second hand but i think it originally came from a store in oakligh(east melbourne) i don't know about ADR but it definatly passes roadworthy. It is more than likely a state thing rather than fedral as the motorbike laws vary a fair ammount state to state

#13 ·
Earlier this year I imported my 2000 model 750 F4S from Ireland to Australia, and to comply with Australian regulations, I need the headlights to stay on whilst the bike is on. At the moment I have the three way headlight switch (off/parking-lights/headlights)
The headlights law was introduced in about 1990, however it was repealed in about 1997 (or so) and I have not heard that it returned.

I don't think you need hard-wired headlights to comply with the law (my 02 Triumph Daytona is aussie delivered and has a headlight switch). It is just that we often get what everybody else gets and leaving the headlight switch out is easy.

Andrew...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.