Fork seal leaking what to do? - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Fork seal leaking what to do?

My left fork is leaking. Not sure if I should just take it to the dealer or if the Duc dealer would be able to fix it. I have heard of some people doing it themselves. When the Ohlins on the R1 went bad I sent them off to Traxton to have different springs. What are my options on this being they are a different size from most other forks. I also don't have a stand to remove the forks, would have to support from the ceiling in the garage if I took them off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 09:22 AM

New Site Garage
IMO fork seals are a PITA, messy, and frankly not my favorite...Before I have fork seals replaced, I always try the ol' dirtbike trick of scraping them clean to make sure it isn't grimy buildup that is allowing oil to escape...There is a little scraper tool, made out of thin plastic that I sweep the seal clean with (below). If it still leaks, then I try to find anything else on the bike I don't want to do, and then pay a shop to have it all done at the same time. "Pay up, Sucka!"

Here are the el cheapo scrapers I use...Read and follow the instructions included.

G'luck.

Griff
twoeleven
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 10:31 AM
Established Member

I just used the Seal Mate for the first time just the other day on my MV and it seems okay but I havn't ridden the bike yet. It did make a mess when I inserted it past the seal so you might want to try this method first but do as you said and hang the front of the bike from the ceiling to remove the fork thats leaking and then tip it upside down when you do the Seal Mate trick. Then you could turn it back over and pump it several times to see if it still leaks. If so then no big deal because you'd have to take them off anyway to take them to a shop. Pretty much any shop can order the seals and do it for you. It does'nt have to be an MV dealer. The Seal Mate I purchased at Cycle Gear for only a couple dollars so if it does'nt work its no issue. If it does then you save yourself about a hundred and change. Theres also a trick if your out riding and the seal begins to leak on you. Carefully slide the dust seal down and put a tissue in between the dust seal and the oil seal and put dust seal back in place. This will stop any oil from getting on your brakes and get you home safely.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 03:02 PM

an old piece of film can do a siliar job of cleaning.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 03:14 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to The_castle
+ 1 for the custom made old film negative cut to a similar shape as the seal mate - says patent pending right? Worked for me a while back (after I had ordered a new set of seals that are still in the garage).
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-25-2009, 04:36 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
Will try the seal mate. Thanks guys. It is not my day for bikes. Rode the R1 to work this morning. Went out at lunch to go to the gym and it would not start. Had this problem some last summer, where it would not start during the heat at mid day. Last yr it would start after work. Today NO. I am about ready to get the trailer and drive the 20 miles back to work to load her up. Yes I know before anyone says it. I should of took the MV to work.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-26-2009, 07:01 PM

I changed mine. I was able to borrow a 50mm slider deal from a Ducatie shop. and its a lot cheaper if you bring the forks to them. You can also call Marzocchi in california those guys will walk you the process if you get stuck or even upgrade the internals for your weight I think they quoted me like $120 for both and extra shipping down and back.I have a manual that show step by step on doing it so I think its rather easy and didnt have a mess at all. Some of the Ducs have 50mm Marzocchis on their bikes so they will have the tools to do it. Worst case you dissemble take to them to have them put the seal in and then you reassemble the bike back.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 07-27-2009, 09:30 AM

well if you do need to get new seals dont buy them from MV! I was nearly charged £70 for a pair of seals, after a good chat with the guy on the phone i got him to admit that they buy them from Marzocchi for £6.50. In the end i bought them off a company that are selling them on Ebay for 6.75 each and £1 postage.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 12:16 PM

soooo i have a seal that is leaking as well...barely leaking so i would like to try this film negative trick. could someone post the "procedure" for this?

thanks
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-18-2009, 09:41 PM Thread Starter

New Site Garage
I would like someone to walk me through also. The dealer wants $63 just for the seals. Would rather be able to fix myself.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode