Touring on the F4 - MVAgusta.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 05:54 AM Thread Starter
King of Carbon

Send a message via Skype™ to DesignCorse
Smile Touring on the F4

Hi guys,

I havnt posted in a while and havnt had a chance to ride my bike for some time.

As some of you may have seen my bike for sale in the Sales section, i have intrested forum member wanting to purchase and i have given him right to purchase and if he doesnt buy it, im definetly not going to sell now.

So if sale doesnt go through im wanting to do a short tour of europe, not whole of europe just some of the best scenic routes.

Anyway i havnt done so many miles on a F4 before and wanted to know what can i expect from the bike in regards to comfort, setting up suspension, what kind of tank bag is best etc.

All opinions and expertise appreciated.

Al
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 07:26 AM

I just spent 14 hours on my bike the past few days and I will tell you NO THANKS for the touring. I feel like Vinny from the mob worked me over with a baseball bat...

I believe she is the Devil in a candy wrapper.
post #3 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 07:49 AM

id be interested to hear what some of the longer journeys have been. I actually find the bike fairly comfortable, ive done a couple of 5 hours days on it and not been feeling too bad.
post #4 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 08:33 AM

I did some few hours riding my F4 with full ohlins and it is definitely not a tour bike. After 2 hours of riding I needed a chiropractor.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2002 F4S full Ohlins,RG3 full exhaust, custom tuned by FBF
[COLOR=darkred]
2002 Ducati 998
post #5 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyangeles View Post
I did some few hours riding my F4 with full ohlins and it is definitely not a tour bike. After 2 hours of riding I needed a chiropractor.
i know a good one 37th & 3rd

__

MV F4 1000 S Red/Silver
HUSABERG FS 570
post #6 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 08:54 AM

I've toured on the F4, including a 650 km day (totally buggered at the end of the day which started and ended with 100 kms of freeway) and 2500 kms in 7 days with a couple of small/rest days, and it isn't the ideal touring bike.

Basically, on the freeway/highway/vaguely straight road it is a pain at anything under 120-130 km/h, especially if the ride is over an hour. Wrists, neck and back can hurt. With the higher speeds the wind takes some of the weight on your wrists.

On the twisties, you forget about the discomfort and have fun except for the really tight stuff (corners marked at 20 km/h or less) where you can get a sore neck trying to see around the corner.

The 750 is also supposed to be worse than the 1000 as on the 1000 the bars are changed slightly and make for a slightly less aggressive riding position.

I also only had a tank bag even for the week trip. As well as clothes it also carried a SLR digital camera and a wet weather nylon over suit.

But you can have a great tour on the F4 and I wouldn't hesitate to use the bike again subject to the trip including numerous fun bike roads (for straight roads get a BMW). I would suggest no more than 500 kms a day should be fine.
post #7 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 08:56 AM

I did 1500 miles in three days in April...did have to make a few more stops than I would on a cruiser, but it wasn't too bad. Obv luggage is somewhat of an issue, but there are a few soft sportbike luggage companies out there. The 100-125 MPH tank range can be an issue, so plan well.
post #8 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 09:45 AM
Established Member

I do a week every year into the Alps
keep the milage sensible & you will have no problems - I think the biggest day we plan is 350kms
I'm 5'10 12st & have had no real aches & pains, just take your time, take breaks, enjoy the scenery & avoid the motorways !!- let her rip in the twisties & you'll just have a blast

I dont bother with tank bag - it just gets in the way, & a rucksack is a definite no-no for me
I use the venturi pack on my F4 - not the prettiest solution, but very practical & you don't even know its there. You can get small packs, right up to 90lts
while my mates are busy spending 20 mins bungying everything on & off, I just lift the pack off & get straight into the bar !!!

Is adrenalin brown???
post #9 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmat View Post

I use the venturi pack on my F4 - not the prettiest solution, but very practical & you don't even know its there.

Are these available for the Monos? Looks like they may only be an option if you have a 1+1.
post #10 of 48 (permalink) Old 07-20-2009, 10:20 AM
Established Member

not sure Richard
the rack rails bolt on to the rear peg hanger brackets that obviously would be absent on the MP
I'm sure that with a little thought & inginuity something could be made to attach to the frame rails
the side supports bolt to the exhaust hangers under the tail unit

Is adrenalin brown???

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to use all of the features of the MVAgusta.net site, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode